• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man is not an animal

tas8831

Look, some people consider evolution to be a law and not a theory. Or a law that is a theory. Or a theoretical law. Meantime, there's a little but rather profound difference between gorillas, bonobos, and humans. :) Some Generous Apes May Help Explain The Evolution Of Human Kindness.
(Yeah -- may help explain the "evolution" of human kindness. How about the evolution of man's inhumanity to man? I'll tell you in advance there's a theoretical explanation by the theory/law? of evolution natural selection? (yes? no?) for that too. :))
Please explain man's inhumanity.
Let me guess- SATAN??????

tas8831

Let's just say you're right

Concession accepted. Maybe from now on don't make such stupid assertions?

and the sequence is scientifically correct.
What does that even mean?
What happened to the 1.6% difference between gorillas and humans? Or bonobos and humans, I forget whether the difference is between gorillas and humans or bonobos and humans. I can check, but either way -- why do you think or imagine there is a marked difference, albeit slight, between bonobos, gorillas, and humans? Hmm? Please do answer cogently. Thanks. With facts. :) thanks again.
Not sure why you think I should answer with facts when all you ever do is wrote bare assertions devoid of any facts at all why do you think you should get a pass?

Why do I think there are differences between us and the other great apes? Geee, golly.... Maybe because we are different species?

What 'happened' to the genetic differences? What does that mean? Nothing 'happened' to it.

It is a shame that so few adults recognize their own intellectual shortcomings.

tas8831

Frankly I doubt I will evolve to become a man. lol. Now the question comes up, in your opinion, what came first? A male or female that produced offspring, I guess their offspring were male and/or female. But suffice it to say sir, I am not a male and have no intention or desire to become one. :)
Hard to tell, my apologies.

In your preferred story of creation, your Deity of choice made a male first, then paraded all of the beasts that He had also created (apparently, male and female) from which this man could choose "an helpmeet".

It was only after Adam didn't find an helpmeet that Deity took a part of the man to make a woman.

Please explain exactly how that works. With evidence.

tas8831

I don't agree with most religions and yours is no exception.
I don't have a religion. Why would you try to force one upon me?
What is a religionist?
One that does religion.
I'm not one of those. I'm a disciple. A poor one perhaps, but then some of the original ones dropped the ball quite often also.
Ah, so you've sold all of your possessions and given all to the poor, as Jesus wanted?

Or are you one of those 'Murkin Christians that thinks all that 'help the poor' crap only pertained to the Hebrews?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I don't have a religion. Why would you try to force one upon me?

One that does religion.

Ah, so you've sold all of your possessions and given all to the poor, as Jesus wanted?

Or are you one of those 'Murkin Christians that thinks all that 'help the poor' crap only pertained to the Hebrews?
Helping the poor is the responsibility of each of us. How much have you given them?
And Jesus told one person to do that for a specific reason... he didn't apply it to everyone.
Everyone has a religion BTW. It's simply what you really believe.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Helping the poor is the responsibility of each of us. How much have you given them?
And Jesus told one person to do that for a specific reason... he didn't apply it to everyone.
Everyone has a religion BTW. It's simply what you really believe.
Everyone does not have a religion.
I do not have a religion. I don't follow a religion. I don't practice any religion.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Everyone does not have a religion.
I do not have a religion. I don't follow a religion. I don't practice any religion.
religion
rĭ-lĭj′ən
noun
  1. The belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers, regarded as creating and governing the universe.
  2. A particular variety of such belief, especially when organized into a system of doctrine and practice.
  3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English

Take number 3, everyone has one, even if they see themselves as their own leader. For some of the people it seems to be Darwin or Hitchins...

ppp

You know that's not the kind of beliefs I'm talking about.
Fair enough. But since religions are generally a framework relating humans to what is called the "sacred" as well as a purported overarching meaning and intent, I could not help but chuckle. While there are things that I would not object strongly to calling sacred, I doubt that I would mean the same as most religious people. I certainly do not believe that there is any overarching purpose, meaning or intent.

A list of interesting definitions of religion.
https://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/Religion/Fac/Adler/Reln101/definitions.pdf

ppp

religion
rĭ-lĭj′ən
noun
  1. The belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers, regarded as creating and governing the universe.
  2. A particular variety of such belief, especially when organized into a system of doctrine and practice.
  3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.

Take number 3, everyone has one, even if they see themselves as their own leader. For some of the people it seems to be Darwin or Hitchins...
Spiritual? Leader? No.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
religion
rĭ-lĭj′ən
noun

I also do not follow any spiritual leaders. I do not see myself as a leader. Darwin and Dawkins aren't spiritual leaders.
So still no.

What a strange attempt to bastardize a definition.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
religion
rĭ-lĭj′ən
noun
I don't believe in anything supernatural.
  1. A particular variety of such belief, especially when organized into a system of doctrine and practice.

As I don't believe in supernatural things, I also don't hold to any "particular variety of such belief".
  1. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.

I hold nor follow a set of beliefs that are based on the "teachings of a spiritual leader".
So according to your own supplied definition here, I don't hold a religion.

Only if you redefine "spiritual leader" to the point of it having no meaning whatsoever.

ppp

But they don't agree on the same God, so most theists are wrong when it comes to God.
It's fascinating to me that we agree on so many things, but that you are so wrong regarding trans persons

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I agree with you. If we were to give a monkey unlimited time to evolve, they would never become conscious like us. We are not apes, we are Godlike creatures, imo.
As a Christian, I agree that humans are different from all the other creatures on God's green earth but animals are conscious, sentient beings with their own internal lives.