• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mall Fall lady to sue mall

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I thought you meant she was suing for falling into the fountain. I can certainly see her having a case for the video going viral.

gnomon

The possibility of the suit has already been dropped.

For two reasons:
1) The mall fired the security worker who posted the video and,
2) The individual in question has just had her criminal history, including identity theft, retail theft and a couple others, blasted across national news. She is facing sentencing for the identity theft and something like $5,000 charged against a stolen credit card.

Which does raise an interesting question as to whether or not her stumble was a put on (she works at that mall) at an attempt at some sort of fraud or....a lawsuit. I doubt it. I think she is the run of the mill idiot who hasn't learned a few lessons in life.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
They will either settle or she will win because they should not have allowed the video out.

To be honest she is right.

She was stupid but she was not asked or given anything to be humilated by the world. Now she will be paid.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
(And this from the lady who's posting on an Internet forum from work...) They really should ensure their security personnel are more better informed about freedom of information.

emptybe

Om Mani Padme Hum
Which does raise an interesting question as to whether or not her stumble was a put on (she works at that mall) at an attempt at some sort of fraud or....a lawsuit. I doubt it. I think she is the run of the mill idiot who hasn't learned a few lessons in life.

Her and the guard were gonna split the profits!

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I'll agree about the video, but if she wins she should get a gift card instead of cash!!
I mean really, with her current felonies, you'd think her reputation for being dumb get any worse.
BTW a side note: she's going to be a felon and goes to church? Wonder what they teach there?

gnomon

Makes me wonder if there is a video of me out there somewhere doing something inane that I'm not aware of.

One day you watch something like Tosh.0 and there you are.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
IMO people shouldn't be rewarded for stupidity. I've been to the mall many times and have yet to see any fountain have rails around them. Straight up, if she wasn't obsessed with texting, the incident would have never happened.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
BTW, these kinds of stories get passed around as part of a meme that lawsuits are "out of control" and how we need legal reform. Trust me, cases like this rarely have long lives in the litigation process, and the oddball case here and there that makes it past a jury almost invariably turns out to either (1) have much more involved facts than the news story about the case would indicate or (2) get quietly flushed on appeal or settle for some nominal amount.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This has got to be one of the most frivolous lawsuits I've seen. A woman, more concerned about texting her friend fell into a fountain! Now she wants to sue the mall! Watch the video.
Woman Falls In Fountain While Texting, Sues - Fox News Latino
Actually, I don't think it's necessarily frivolous.

I don't know Pennsylvania law, but here, personally identifying information (e.g. your picture) can only be collected for very specific purposes and can't be used for anything else (e.g. posting to YouTube for people's amusement).

Commoner

Headache
Actually, I don't think it's necessarily frivolous.

I don't know Pennsylvania law, but here, personally identifying information (e.g. your picture) can only be collected for very specific purposes and can't be used for anything else (e.g. posting to YouTube for people's amusement).

But that's not why she was suing... :rolleyes:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
She was in a public place. Photography or video of her was legal, wasn't it?
I also understand that her identity couldn't be determined by the distant, low pixel photography -- until she revealed it herself.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
She was in a public place. Photography or video of her was legal, wasn't it?
I also understand that her identity couldn't be determined by the distant, low pixel photography -- until she revealed it herself.
Exactly. Why do some people believe they are more than what they really are? She's a scam artist and this is just another avenue to get some money.

A

angellous_evangellous

Dude they just pulled it off YouTube.

Grade A journalism right there.

And I was just dying to get Geraldo Rivera's viewpoint on this.