• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making KFC at Home?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
True, a large bird would be worse.

But what's the object of washing raw meat in the first place? It achieves nothing, except to add surplus water you don't want. And if you dry it with a cloth, you then have a contaminated cloth to deal with? Brilliant, eh?! I suspect people just feel it needs to be "clean" before being cooked. But it makes no rational sense and is counterproductive in several ways. (I do sometimes wash fish, if they have been gutted, just to get any leftover blood, slime and guts out. But they are a lot smaller and I do that carefully, deep down in the sink to avoid splashes. And in any case, you don't tend to get pathogenic bacteria in fish, the way you do in poultry.)
Even if one does not wash one still needs to dry. For that I use paper towels. I buy paper towels specifically for cooking because they can be disposed of. I get a bit irate when they are misused for general cleaning.

And yes, poultry can be hazardous. That is why I take my turkey into the shower with me. We both get clean at the same time:D

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Even if one does not wash one still needs to dry. For that I use paper towels. I buy paper towels specifically for cooking because they can be disposed of. I get a bit irate when they are misused for general cleaning.

And yes, poultry can be hazardous. That is why I take my turkey into the shower with me. We both get clean at the same time:D

Lonely?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Or save a lot of time and trouble, just cook the damn thing.
I was an assistant chef for awhile when I was a young adult. Back in the day when cooking actually meant quality and flavor. I learned quite a bit from the experts. :0)

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I was an assistant chef for awhile when I was a young adult. Back in the day when cooking actually meant quality and flavor. I learned quite a bit from the experts. :0)

If I was getting paid to do it then that would be ok but being a home cook I go for simple and easy with minimum clean up because my wage is pitiful.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Marinating chicken before cooking helps to keep it juicy, so that it's not dry and bland. However it should be cooked well enough that it's interior temperature is about 74° C (~165° F)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Maybe but I have learnt why Americans are so anal about chicken and insist on cooking it until is dry and inedible.
Poultry can be tricky. Underdone can be a disaster and over done is as you said terrible. For roasting a turkey I swear by digital thermometers where the probe stays in the bird and the one reads out the temperature without opening the oven. No more over or underdone. Well worth the investment.

I am waiting for the rechargeable Bluetooth ones to get a little more affordable before I buy one of those.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Poultry can be tricky. Underdone can be a disaster and over done is as you said terrible. For roasting a turkey I swear by digital thermometers where the probe stays in the bird and the one reads out the temperature without opening the oven. No more over or underdone. Well worth the investment.

I am waiting for the rechargeable Bluetooth ones to get a little more affordable before I buy one of those.

I use a thermometer but the regular kind, I tried a digital one that you leave in but it was useless. Once I work out an oven (or other cooking device) I just go on time and only use the thermometer at the end to make sure.

And yes I agree under cooked and over cooked chicken is not good but that goes for most things.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I use a thermometer but the regular kind, I tried a digital one that you leave in but it was useless. Once I work out an oven (or other cooking device) I just go on time and only use the thermometer at the end to make sure.

And yes I agree under cooked and over cooked chicken is not good but that goes for most things.
Knowing how to use a tool is important. Mine will go off too early sometimes. Yet the unit it sends to has Bluetooth and my phone tells me when it is done. I do move the thermometer around a bit. But since I am testing from what we hope is the last place done the thermometer can only show that I was not quite done because I missed the sweet spot on the bird. Trust but verify is my motto with the probe. I might have placed it too shallow.

This is similar to what I have now. It can measure six things at once. Since I used to burn out about one probe a year I figured it was 6 probes. But now I have not burned out a probe since I got it:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-The...=&hvlocphy=9033346&hvtargid=pla-1015929750392

At $40.00 US it is also about fifteen bucks less than I spent on mine. Tech prices always drop. This or something like it is on my wish list. currently $70. The price should continue to drop for a while. It measures both the meat temperature and the oven temperature. You need to be within about 10 meters of the unit:

The Original MEATER

Product_-meater_300x300.png

Viker

Häxan
I'm a huge fan of chicken, but one meal that has always proven elusive to make at home is fried chicken in the style of KFC. I don't necessarily want to make a perfect copy; I just want something close enough. There are many recipes online, but I don't know how close any of them get.

Do you know how to approximate the recipe at home? If you do, please share how! I'd love to have fried chicken without worrying about the sanitation standards of fast-food chains.
This is very close. And convenient if you're in a hurry. Don't know if it's sold abroad, however.

f75d5cdc-380f-4ed0-ab94-55c08902724c_1.69742245395ee016e757eb0d716fc8b0.jpeg

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Don't know what the fuss is. KFC is sloppy, damp and boring these days. And fried is overdone. There are so many ways to make fabulous chicken at home with little effort, I don't know why anybody bothers. Try a nice Hungarian style chicken paprikash. (Hint, leave the skin off, don't trust the recipes that leave it on.)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Don't know what the fuss is. KFC is sloppy, damp and boring these days. And fried is overdone. There are so many ways to make fabulous chicken at home with little effort, I don't know why anybody bothers. Try a nice Hungarian style chicken paprikash. (Hint, leave the skin off, don't trust the recipes that leave it on.)
I am not a fan of KFC either. But that may be due to the local restaurants. It is possible that in areas where there are those with a true passion for chicken that it could be done better.