• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making KFC at Home?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I wash it and soak it in water mixed with vinegar or lemon for 15-20 minutes to get rid of any undesirable smell. It feels much cleaner to me that way.

I've never washed it and I'm living proof you won't die, cooking is what kills the harmful bacteria, washing makes them multiply. I do however as Subsie suggested pat it dry but that's because it cooks better.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never washed it and I'm living proof you won't die, cooking is what kills the harmful bacteria, washing makes them multiply. I do however as Subsie suggested pat it dry but that's because it cooks better.

To me, it's not about being scared of bacteria or the like; it's just that I don't want the raw chicken to smell unpleasant.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's from an alternative universe where the serpent was a chicken who enticed humans to eat from the tree of knowledge.
Oh no! How do I get home?

It is a very local chain with only two stores. It used to be named after the current owner. But there was a lawsuit with some investors. He lost his original name, but kept his recipe. And it is good:

America's Best Fried Chicken Winner Is...

exchemist

Veteran Member
I always worry about recipes that tell me to wash chicken.
Yup that's a sure-fire way to spread salmonella round your kitchen and poison everybody.

For anyone who does not know, lesson one of poultry cooking is DO NOT WASH raw poultry meat. Cooking kills any bacteria, so washing is quite unnecessary. On the contrary, washing will create stray droplets that may contain bacteria and these will land in random places and won't get subsequently sterilised. They will be in a nice temperature and environment for incubating.:confused:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yup that's a sure-fire way to spread salmonella round your kitchen and poison everybody.

For anyone who does not know, lesson one of poultry cooking is DO NOT WASH raw poultry meat. Cooking kills any bacteria, so washing is quite unnecessary. On the contrary, washing will create stray droplets that may contain bacteria and these will land in random places and won't get subsequently sterilised. They will be in a nice temperature and environment for incubating.:confused:
I have seen the same recommendation for turkey. Don't wash it. Chicken should be safer to wash. One could get a big pot of water and swirl the chicken without splashing. I don't know how you could wash a turkey without some splashing. They tend to be a bit on the large size.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Saline is best. Washes, preserves, and kills bacteria all in one go as well as enhanced flavor.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I have seen the same recommendation for turkey. Don't wash it. Chicken should be safer to wash. One could get a big pot of water and swirl the chicken without splashing. I don't know how you could wash a turkey without some splashing. They tend to be a bit on the large size.

I have a pool, problem solved.

Edit: wife says I can't put a turkey in the pool.

exchemist

Veteran Member
True, a large bird would be worse.

But what's the object of washing raw meat in the first place? It achieves nothing, except to add surplus water you don't want. And if you dry it with a cloth, you then have a contaminated cloth to deal with? Brilliant, eh?! I suspect people just feel it needs to be "clean" before being cooked. But it makes no rational sense and is counterproductive in several ways. (I do sometimes wash fish, if they have been gutted, just to get any leftover blood, slime and guts out. But they are a lot smaller and I do that carefully, deep down in the sink to avoid splashes. And in any case, you don't tend to get pathogenic bacteria in fish, the way you do in poultry.)