• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making A Mockery of Christianity

Spiderman

Veteran Member
When he tells them "Do you want something? TAKE IT!", and than pushes his hand towards them like a Master Jedi, he is obviously not knocking them back with a Force Push.

He is, however, triggering a reaction from them, giving them a moment to just let that numinous passion and ecstasy and enthusiasm overcome them during their group worship and ritual. Those thoughts and emotions are are not "fake" and they are not "acting". These people are allowing themselves to be overwhelmed with spiritual-religious devotion and ecstasy. It is an exciting and very involving element of their spiritual-religious culture.

I am one who prefers solitary worship to group worship, and I still see no reason to mock them.
I admire that you defend those of another faith, even though it is a faith that is probably hostile to your beliefs/practices

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
What's fake is this idea that people don't naturally enjoy acting, embellishing, lying, etc. We all do. We've always gravitated towards legendary tales and exaggerated promises. We expect being lied to. We love watching movies, and reality TV.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It is because of common sense.

I visited a Pentecostal church some years. I volunteered to be prayed over during the altar call or whatever it is. The pastor put his hands on my head, said a little prayer and then started pushing against my forehead. I guess I was supposed to fall down when he touched me, but instead I stood there and just looked at him. His eyes were steaming mad. He pushed harder, actually forcing me to take a step back. I rolled my head to the side and swatted his hand away.

Boy was that a mistake! The church went dead silent. I was actually accused of having a demon inside of me, because no one could resist like that. :facepalm:

My friend, who was a member there and had invited me along, asked me why I didn't fall down when he touched me. I replied, "was I supposed to?" He said, "yes...everyone does. It's what we do."

Oh good grief. :rolleyes:

Wow. It's a psychological thing. I wouldn't say it's fake, I just think the association with what they are feeling is misinterpreted to be from god rather than the power of suggestion and peer pressure to act a certain way even if they don't "feel it." It happen to me at Mass sometimes. Less dramatic, though.

I went to an altar call in a baptist church. They anointed my head, expected me to close my eyes and rock back and forth. Then when they got me on the ground, more shouting, and one lady came to hug me, while the priest still had his hand on my shoulder, kinda comforting me given "the spirit had fulfilled me."

I would say it's harmless, but I did have one non denomini church four years ago hold me down when I had a seizure trying to get the holy spirit from me (I posted a thread years ago). They didn't call 911 thinking god will cure me as they said god cured John Smith from a heart attack.

Even JW has that too. Their services are pretty long and they read from a magazine, what is it, Watch Tower. The "group participation" initiates people to act like the person beside them.

In Baptist, Catholic, JW, Presbyterian, and non-denomini churches I've gone to all did things like that only when in a community and doing things with an "authority" as a guide whether a priest, preacher, or elder.

I don't mean to be rude, and you can do a psychology study and observation just by going to churches if you really wanted to. But not many people are very observant in that way. Even people here find it hard or plain out deny (or cut the conversation short) when it comes to questioning their beliefs as if beliefs will dissolve when asked "why".

I don't know. I'd roll my eyes too.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I don't mean to be rude, and you can do a psychology study and observation just by going to churches if you really wanted to. But not many people are very observant in that way. Even people here find it hard or plain out deny (or cut the conversation short) when it comes to questioning their beliefs as if beliefs will dissolve when asked "why".

I don't know. I'd roll my eyes too.

I ask why all the time. :)

wicketkeeper

Living From the Heart.
Their are fraudsters worldwide and religion has plenty of them. Where money and power are on offer you will find the fraudsters.

I have visited evangelical churches and seen dancing parents almost stand on their children, some as young as 2 years of age.

Best church service I went to was a gospel service. Wow that place rocked !

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
This reminds me of a few "exorcisms" that I've seen where the person "possessed" does nothing but really poor Deliverance voices and laugh maniacally (I guess even they find it silly). Is it "fake"? Sometimes, I would say. A lot of times, actually. It gives "evidence" to the claim. If demons aren't real, then what's with this person here? But most times I would just say that it's the power of suggestion and religious fervor; akin to speaking in tongues. The ridiculous and fake part is when people claim that they know what you were saying.

Also this:

Bayardaren

Hey I've always wondered this.. It says in the Bible that "you shall have no other gods before me". I think it's the same in the Islamic belief, and probably alot of other religions. Also, that if you don't follow the things said in the Bible you will go to hell and not heaven. If this is true, it basically means all the people who never even heard of Christianity was sentenced to hell. All the Indians, Vikings, Romans and all the aboriginies from different parts of the world went to hell because the Christian God failed to let them know about him(god) and the "true" faith. Isn't that unfair and cruelly done by god, not letting everyone know what's the right belief? Just a thought for all of you Christians. If your god exist, he sentenced more people to hell then you could imagine. For what reason? Why not telling every child the "truth" so they atleast have the chance to do right by god.
And don't just answer this like the priest in my hometown did. "You shouldn't interpret the Bible by every word". Cause this is one of the main things with the Bible. And one of the ten commandments that has to be followed. Right? Thanks

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
It says in the Bible that "you shall have no other gods before me". I think it's the same in the Islamic belief, and probably alot of other religions.

Not really, just the Abrahamic beliefs. What's odd, though, is that it recognizes the existence of other gods. For myself, I take it to mean "don't worship any other gods before me/above me/in my presence.

Also, that if you don't follow the things said in the Bible you will go to hell and not heaven. If this is true, it basically means all the people who never even heard of Christianity was sentenced to hell.

Technically, if you've never heard of Christianity then you go to Purgatory, not Perdition.

All the Indians, Vikings, Romans and all the aboriginies from different parts of the world went to hell

Unless they died in battle, were taken by the Valkyries, and chosen by either Freyja or Odin, yeah, they probably did go to Hel.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
That doesn't surprise me, but if memory serves Purgatory is different than Limbo; the former being a state (though commonly seen as a place) of purification before admittance into Heaven.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
That doesn't surprise me, but if memory serves Purgatory is different than Limbo; the former being a state (though commonly seen as a place) of purification before admittance into Heaven.

Oh. Limbo's where all the unbaptised babies go isn't it? Gods, that level was freaky on Dante's Inferno.