• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

making a living from a message?

MNoBody

to do for money what ought to be an act of love, with no consideration [what's in it for me] is technically termed prostitution no matter how it is sliced or justified.
apparently.

Eyes to See

So, in your opinion it would be not permissible for one to earn money from one's status as a person who contributes to the field of religion and spirituality?

Well, I will leave you with what Jesus said:

"As you go, preach, saying: ‘The Kingdom of the heavens has drawn near.’  Cure the sick, raise up the dead, make lepers clean, expel demons. You received free, give free.  Do not acquire gold or silver or copper for your money belts..."-Matthew 10:7-9.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
to do for money what ought to be an act of love, with no consideration [what's in it for me] is technically termed prostitution no matter how it is sliced or justified.
apparently.
But what if doing that which ought to be an act of love incurs a cost to you?

If there was no payment to cover the costs you'd soon be out on the streets, unable to help anyone

I think one can perform acts of love whilst also accepting money for expenses

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Well, I will leave you with what Jesus said:

"As you go, preach, saying: ‘The Kingdom of the heavens has drawn near.’  Cure the sick, raise up the dead, make lepers clean, expel demons. You received free, give free.  Do not acquire gold or silver or copper for your money belts..."-Matthew 10:7-9.
I like that

But I think one can make an honest living out of it without filling one's money belts

As I said in the OP, earning a living is not like owning a private jet, a mansion, and a fleet of sports cars

And that money is required for one to do good works, or follow one's calling

But then Jesus was a communist so I'd expect him to say that :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Is it cool to make a living out of a spiritual message?
Depends on the message, I guess.

If you're preaching asceticism or that "God will provide," then it's probably hypocritical to ask for money.

If your "spiritual message" is something else, then maybe asking for money is completely consistent.

MNoBody

But what if doing that which ought to be an act of love incurs a cost to you?

If there was no payment to cover the costs you'd soon be out on the streets, unable to help anyone

I think one can perform acts of love whilst also accepting money for expenses
love or consideration, g-d or mammon, this place tests everybody.....no one is a special case in that one, apparently, everyone has to find that balance and be ok with whatever they have decided....and be able to defend it, in honor....or be in dis-honor...that is the story in basic that all the religions depict with their verbosity

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

And by that I mean "make a living" not "own a private jet, a mansion, and several sports cars"

Like how Priests do? (edit: like how they make a living, not own a private jet, etc.)

Priests don't do what they do for free

What do people think?

I would like to make some money out of my belief system, but to me that is very much a secondary concern, I am far more bothered about sharing it with people

What do people think?
Spiritual teaching is free for anyone to obtain, if a preacher do it for the money the message would be based on ego, greed and so on.

If you speak and someone donated money because they them self wanted it, that is different.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

And by that I mean "make a living" not "own a private jet, a mansion, and several sports cars"

Like how Priests do? (edit: like how they make a living, not own a private jet, etc.)

What do people think?

I would like to make some money out of my belief system, but to me that is very much a secondary concern, I am far more bothered about sharing it with people

What do people think?
Get a real job.

Spiritual truth is free and to charge for it is dishonorable. Now if you're planning on actually holding a rite for someone and need supplies (like offerings and such) than that makes sense to have a fee, but that doesn't sound like what you're talking about.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Spiritual teaching is free for anyone to obtain, if a preacher do it for the money the message would be based on ego, greed and so on.
I agree - that the message itself must always be free

But it is morally acceptable to make an modest and honest living out of your activities

If you speak and someone donated money because they them self wanted it, that is different.
That's what I was thinking

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Spiritual truth is free and to charge for it is dishonorable. Now if you're planning on actually holding a rite for someone and need supplies (like offerings and such) than that makes sense to have a fee, but that doesn't sound like what you're talking about.
I want to make my spiritual truths available free of charge, and am currently working to do that

And that will always be my number 1 priority

But I would like to make money doing other stuff that is unrelated to the essential message. For instance I'd love to write articles or even a book - and accept payment for them

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

What do people think?

What do people think?
I think it's very difficult regardless.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I want to make my spiritual truths available free of charge, and am currently working to do that

And that will always be my number 1 priority

But I would like to make money doing other stuff that is unrelated to the essential message. For instance I'd love to write articles or even a book - and accept payment for them
Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with writing about it and selling books.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I will just site what Jehovah's Witnesses have published concerning this scripture and receiving material gain:

"Overseers ‘who preside in a fine way and work hard in speaking and teaching’ deserve honor principally because their teaching is based on God’s Word. As Paul wrote: “Let the older men who preside in a fine way be reckoned worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard in speaking and teaching. For the scripture says: ‘You must not muzzle a bull when it threshes out the grain’; also: ‘The workman is worthy of his wages.’”—1 Timothy 5:17, 18.
11 Paul’s words just quoted indicate that material help can rightly be given to those looking after the spiritual interests of others. However, this does not mean that elders should receive a salary, and “double honor” surely is not something exacted by an elder. It may come from the congregation’s members spontaneously, but he must never use his assignment to gain power or material possessions. He should not seek his own glory or associate mainly with the more prosperous ones for material advantage and to the neglect of others. (Proverbs 25:27; 29:23; Jude 16) Rather, an overseer must shepherd God’s flock ‘willingly, not for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly
.’—1 Peter 5:2."- The Watchtower 9/15/89 p. 22 pars. 10-11.

Now it is of note that everyone that volunteers to work at a Branch of Jehovah's Witnesses, that is part of the Special Full-Time Ministers (this is where they produce the literature, print it, ship it, care for the organizational and other functions of the brotherhood) receives a meager monthly stipend for expenses. This includes those that take the lead, the members of the Governing Body. And before they enter into the special full-time service they are required to take a vow of poverty.

i'm not a jehovah witness, nor do i advocate for such. jehovah is a title for the real name. the real name of god is a verb at exodus 3:14.

god is not a respecter of persons, or religions.

nPeace

Veteran Member

What do people think?

What do people think?
Many a missionary have given of themselves freely, in that they used their own resources, including money and time, to share the good news with as many people as possible.

Though not expecting anything in return, they have been blessed, when people gave them, out of appreciation.
On occasions, I have received likewise - fruits, vegetables, money, a meal...

However, if we are physically able, we should be seeking, not to receive, but to give, so working with our hands, is a praiseworthy and commendable activity.
Paul put it this way... "...let him do hard work, doing good work with his hands, so that he may have something to share with someone in need." (Ephesians 4:28)
Having something, allows us to share with others, but having nothing, we are not able to extend that hospitality.
(Romans 12:13) Share with the holy ones according to their needs. Follow the course of hospitality.

That evidently requires a lot of humility, and modesty, and the need for us to be balanced in our work.
Paul evidently had a balanced view, for he was not lazy, but industrious - working, so as not to impose an expensive burden on anyone.

(2 Thessalonians 3:7-12) 7 For you yourselves know how you should imitate us, because we did not behave in a disorderly way among you, 8 nor did we eat anyone’s food free. On the contrary, by labor and toil we were working night and day so as not to impose an expensive burden on any one of you. 9 Not that we do not have authority, but we wanted to offer ourselves as an example for you to imitate. 10 In fact, when we were with you, we used to give you this order: “If anyone does not want to work, neither let him eat.” 11 For we hear that some are walking disorderly among you, not working at all, but meddling with what does not concern them. 12 To such people we give the order and exhortation in the Lord Jesus Christ that they should work quietly and eat food they themselves earn.

I think that is really an excellent example in humility, helping us avoid the less honorable attitude mentioned in scripture.
Proverbs 13:4 - The lazy person has his cravings, yet he has nothing, But the diligent one will be fully satisfied.

(Proverbs 20:4) The lazy one does not plow in winter, So he will be begging during the harvest when he has nothing.

(Proverbs 21:25) What the lazy man craves will put him to death, For his hands refuse to work.

(Proverbs 22:13) The lazy one says: “There is a lion outside! I will be killed in the middle of the public square!”

(Proverbs 24:30-34) 30 I passed by the field of the lazy one, By the vineyard of the man lacking good sense. 31 I saw that it was overgrown with weeds; The ground was covered with nettles, And its stone wall was broken down. 32 I observed this and took it to heart; I saw it and learned this lesson: 33 A little sleep, a little slumbering, A little folding of the hands to rest, 34 And your poverty will come like a bandit, And your want like an armed man.

(Ecclesiastes 10:18) Because of extreme laziness the roof beams sag, and because of idle hands the house leaks.

(Romans 12:11) Be industrious, not lazy. . . .

I was thinking of these scriptures in relation to balance.
I though of the one about the leaking roof, and the overrun vineyard, and connected it with the situation Jesus observed...
(Matthew 15:3-9) 3 In reply he said to them: “Why do you overstep the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For example, God said, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Let the one who speaks abusively of his father or mother be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother: “Whatever I have that could benefit you is a gift dedicated to God,” 6 he need not honor his father at all.’ So you have made the word of God invalid because of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about you when he said: 8 ‘This people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 9 It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach commands of men as doctrines.’”

I thought to myself... That is so fitting. A person could easily reason, "Well I am working for God, so I have no time to do those other things. Someone else will see to that."
Meanwhile, his house, his car, his yard, and perhaps even those of his relatives, are in an unsightly state, or going to ruins.
Yet he comforts himself with the thought that he is doing what's more important.

It really helps me to see how humility really helps us to have the right attitude towards being balanced.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
No. In the Christian congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses no one is paid for anything that they do. Jehovah's Witnesses do not charge for the Bibles they publish, or any of their publications for that matter. All of their meetings are open to the public and are free. No collection plates are passed, and no money stipulations are made.

The electric bills, the money for the publishing, disaster relief efforts, the making of audio and video releases, along with a plethora of other things is funded completely by voluntary donations. There is a donation box in each Kingdom Hall for Kingdom Hall expenses, and also for the Worldwide work. No one is required to donate, and it depends on each one just what he wants to give, and it is done in private so no one else knows. People who are not Jehovah's Witnesses also feel inclined to donate money and that is accepted. But the Kingdom Halls have been closed since the pandemic worldwide, and so voluntary contributions have been done through the website from those that chose to.

In the nation of Israel Jehovah made a special contribution for the tribe of Levi, for they did not receive a land inheritance, and thus the 12 tribes that did receive one were to provide for the tribe of Levi, food and land. The Christian congregation is not under the Mosaic law, and not under the law to tithe (that is give a 10th for the priestly tribe of Levi).

Jesus set the example when he said "you received free give free."

Jehovah's Witnesses live by this scripture when it comes to making a living:

"Surely you remember, brothers, our labor and toil. We were working night and day, so that we would not put an expensive burden on any one of you, when we preached the good news of God to you."-1 Thessalonians 2:9.

The apostle Paul himself, although a missionary, and always traveling and preaching did not make himself a burden on the brothers by expecting money from them. In fact we are told that he used his trade of making tents to make a living:

(Acts 18:3) and because he had the same trade, he stayed at their home and worked with them, for they were tentmakers by trade.

(Acts 20:34) You yourselves know that these hands have provided for my own needs and the needs of those with me.

Thusly, each elder among the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses works to provide for themselves and their families. No one is paid to preach or teach the good news of God's kingdom. It is all done freely, without charge.
I like one's post and one's spirit.
But, I know from my personal experience, that Watch Tower magazine and other literature are not given free. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So, in your opinion it would be not permissible for one to earn money from one's status as a person who contributes to the field of religion and spirituality?

I honestly believe I have a spiritual calling

And I want to be financially independent as I value financial indepdence - I am not currently financially independent, which bothers me greatly :(

I don't see why the two cannot go together :shrug:
There is no harm if a meager charge is made for the services provided or a stipend is paid. The preachers have a family they are responsible to feed and clothe. I suggest that it should be pegged with the average income of a person in a country the services are provided and people should know it. Right, please?

Regards