• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

making a living from a message?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Is it cool to make a living out of a spiritual message?

And by that I mean "make a living" not "own a private jet, a mansion, and several sports cars"

Like how Priests do? (edit: like how they make a living, not own a private jet, etc.)

Priests don't do what they do for free

What do people think?

I would like to make some money out of my belief system, but to me that is very much a secondary concern, I am far more bothered about sharing it with people

What do people think?

Last edited:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Of course, the thing to do would be to sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor and become itinerate

But that is not practical in this day and age

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

And by that I mean "make a living" not "own a private jet, a mansion, and several sports cars"

Like how Priests do? (edit: like how they make a living, not own a private jet, etc.)

What do people think?

I would like to make some money out of my belief system, but to me that is very much a secondary concern, I am far more bothered about sharing it with people

What do people think?
what better talent to gain interest off of than something you believe in and love.

arnion

can't get to heaven without going through some hell

Eyes to See

It is disgusting to think that a person would try to make money off of selling spiritual truths. But like you said that is what a lot of the clergy of Christendom do. But what they peddle is poisonous water and rotten food that benefits no one.

Jehovah sees that people pay money out to liars for false religious teachings of no benefit. But the water that he offers is pure and leads to everlasting and can be bought for free:

"Come, all you thirsty ones, come to the water!
You with no money, come, buy and eat!
Yes, come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.
Why do you keep paying out money for what is not bread,
And why spend your earnings for what brings no satisfaction?
Listen intently to me, and eat what is good,
And you will find great delight in what is truly ric
h."
-Isaiah 55:1, 2.

Jesus, when referring to spiritual truths that lead to everlasting life:

"You received free, give free."-Matthew 10:8.

The truth that leads to everlasting life is given by Jehovah God free of charge. And his witnesses therefore freely offer it to the nations, without cost:

"And the spirit and the bride keep on saying, “Come!” and let anyone hearing say, “Come!” and let anyone thirsting come; let anyone who wishes take life’s water free."-Revelation 22:17.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The Priests who ministered at the Temple were meant to recieve tithes for what they did. So no, I don't think it's problematic.

Last edited:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It is disgusting to think that a person would try to make money off of selling spiritual truths
I am inclined to agree

But a person has to live

I think it would be possible for a person to make spiritual truths freely available whilst making a living from things related to those spiritual truths, if that makes any sense?

Can I ask:

In your church is there a collection? Do people give money to it?

How does your church pay its electricity bills? Where does the money come from?

Also, do you have paid ministers? If so, where does their salary come from?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It wasn't necessarily money, but I think the concept is similar,

Twenty-four priestly gifts - Wikipedia

The Kohanim were compensated for their service in the Temple in Jerusalem - and to the nation - through twenty-four "priestly gifts". The majority of these gifts were food items. Of these twenty-four gifts, ten gifts were given to the priests in the Temple, four were to be consumed by the priests in Jerusalem, and ten were to be given to the priests even outside the land of Israel.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
All I want is to be able to make a living on the back of what I can do and what I enjoy

I'd be happy on a very modest income

But I already am on a modest income, so perhaps I should forget about the need to make a living and concentrate on what I believe is my calling

But the thing is, I'd like to make an independent living

I don't want to be like this:

This song is about a cynical televangelist, when it first came out cynical televangelist types actually played it, not knowing it was being satirical - at their expense

Eyes to See

Also, do you have paid ministers? If so, where does their salary come from?

No. In the Christian congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses no one is paid for anything that they do. Jehovah's Witnesses do not charge for the Bibles they publish, or any of their publications for that matter. All of their meetings are open to the public and are free. No collection plates are passed, and no money stipulations are made.

The electric bills, the money for the publishing, disaster relief efforts, the making of audio and video releases, along with a plethora of other things is funded completely by voluntary donations. There is a donation box in each Kingdom Hall for Kingdom Hall expenses, and also for the Worldwide work. No one is required to donate, and it depends on each one just what he wants to give, and it is done in private so no one else knows. People who are not Jehovah's Witnesses also feel inclined to donate money and that is accepted. But the Kingdom Halls have been closed since the pandemic worldwide, and so voluntary contributions have been done through the website from those that chose to.

In the nation of Israel Jehovah made a special contribution for the tribe of Levi, for they did not receive a land inheritance, and thus the 12 tribes that did receive one were to provide for the tribe of Levi, food and land. The Christian congregation is not under the Mosaic law, and not under the law to tithe (that is give a 10th for the priestly tribe of Levi).

Jesus set the example when he said "you received free give free."

But a person has to live

Jehovah's Witnesses live by this scripture when it comes to making a living:

"Surely you remember, brothers, our labor and toil. We were working night and day, so that we would not put an expensive burden on any one of you, when we preached the good news of God to you."-1 Thessalonians 2:9.

The apostle Paul himself, although a missionary, and always traveling and preaching did not make himself a burden on the brothers by expecting money from them. In fact we are told that he used his trade of making tents to make a living:

(Acts 18:3) and because he had the same trade, he stayed at their home and worked with them, for they were tentmakers by trade.

(Acts 20:34) You yourselves know that these hands have provided for my own needs and the needs of those with me.

Thusly, each elder among the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses works to provide for themselves and their families. No one is paid to preach or teach the good news of God's kingdom. It is all done freely, without charge.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

What do people think?

What do people think?

The principle was set up by God.

How does one do a marriage or a funeral if they are at a secular work? How doesn't one seek God with all of their time if they are having to supply their needs by another job?

As one kings of the TaNaKh said, "Why are the priests out working instead of teaching the people?" answer... "Because the people are not tithing as per commandment"... (paraphrased).

As the NT says "You don't mussel the ox that treads the corn" and "If I sow something spiritual, do I not have the right to reap something tangible?" (Paraphrased)... and again by John "You do well to empower those who are preaching the gospel (speaking of offerings)" (paraphrased)

However, if one want to live by people opening their doors and feeding them while preaching... it is ok..

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
The principle was set up by God.

How does one do a marriage or a funeral if they are at a secular work? How doesn't one seek God with all of their time if they are having to supply their needs by another job?

As one kings of the TaNaKh said, "Why are the priests out working instead of teaching the people?" answer... "Because the people are not tithing as per commandment"... (paraphrased).

As the NT says "You don't mussel the ox that treads the corn" and "If I sow something spiritual, do I not have the right to reap something tangible?" (Paraphrased)... and again by John "You do well to empower those who are preaching the gospel (speaking of offerings)" (paraphrased)

However, if one want to live by people opening their doors and feeding them while preaching... it is ok..
So do you think it is morally acceptable for me to want to make an independent living from my contribution to the field of religion and spirituality?

Kenny

Premium Member
So do you think it is morally acceptable for me to want to make an independent living from my contribution to the field of religion and spirituality?
Absolutely. It is your "work" area. It is also, IMV, a spiritual principle.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Absolutely. It is your "work" area. It is also, IMV, a spiritual principle.
That's good to hear!

I do believe that I have a contribution to make to the field of religion and spirituality

But I'd also like to be able to make an independent living, as I personally value indepdndence

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It is disgusting to think that a person would try to make money off of selling spiritual truths. But like you said that is what a lot of the clergy of Christendom do. But what they peddle is poisonous water and rotten food that benefits no one.

Jehovah sees that people pay money out to liars for false religious teachings of no benefit. But the water that he offers is pure and leads to everlasting and can be bought for free:

"Come, all you thirsty ones, come to the water!
You with no money, come, buy and eat!
Yes, come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.
Why do you keep paying out money for what is not bread,
And why spend your earnings for what brings no satisfaction?
Listen intently to me, and eat what is good,
And you will find great delight in what is truly ric
h."
-Isaiah 55:1, 2.

Jesus, when referring to spiritual truths that lead to everlasting life:

"You received free, give free."-Matthew 10:8.

The truth that leads to everlasting life is given by Jehovah God free of charge. And his witnesses therefore freely offer it to the nations, without cost:

"And the spirit and the bride keep on saying, “Come!” and let anyone hearing say, “Come!” and let anyone thirsting come; let anyone who wishes take life’s water free."-Revelation 22:17.

do not muzzle the ox when grinding out the corn.

it is acceptable for the beast of burden to share in the harvest

Eyes to See

do not muzzle the ox when grinding out the corn.

it is acceptable for the beast of burden to share in the harvest

I will just site what Jehovah's Witnesses have published concerning this scripture and receiving material gain:

"Overseers ‘who preside in a fine way and work hard in speaking and teaching’ deserve honor principally because their teaching is based on God’s Word. As Paul wrote: “Let the older men who preside in a fine way be reckoned worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard in speaking and teaching. For the scripture says: ‘You must not muzzle a bull when it threshes out the grain’; also: ‘The workman is worthy of his wages.’”—1 Timothy 5:17, 18.
11 Paul’s words just quoted indicate that material help can rightly be given to those looking after the spiritual interests of others. However, this does not mean that elders should receive a salary, and “double honor” surely is not something exacted by an elder. It may come from the congregation’s members spontaneously, but he must never use his assignment to gain power or material possessions. He should not seek his own glory or associate mainly with the more prosperous ones for material advantage and to the neglect of others. (Proverbs 25:27; 29:23; Jude 16) Rather, an overseer must shepherd God’s flock ‘willingly, not for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly
.’—1 Peter 5:2."- The Watchtower 9/15/89 p. 22 pars. 10-11.

Now it is of note that everyone that volunteers to work at a Branch of Jehovah's Witnesses, that is part of the Special Full-Time Ministers (this is where they produce the literature, print it, ship it, care for the organizational and other functions of the brotherhood) receives a meager monthly stipend for expenses. This includes those that take the lead, the members of the Governing Body. And before they enter into the special full-time service they are required to take a vow of poverty.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
No. In the Christian congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses no one is paid for anything that they do. Jehovah's Witnesses do not charge for the Bibles they publish, or any of their publications for that matter. All of their meetings are open to the public and are free. No collection plates are passed, and no money stipulations are made.

The electric bills, the money for the publishing, disaster relief efforts, the making of audio and video releases, along with a plethora of other things is funded completely by voluntary donations. There is a donation box in each Kingdom Hall for Kingdom Hall expenses, and also for the Worldwide work. No one is required to donate, and it depends on each one just what he wants to give, and it is done in private so no one else knows. People who are not Jehovah's Witnesses also feel inclined to donate money and that is accepted. But the Kingdom Halls have been closed since the pandemic worldwide, and so voluntary contributions have been done through the website from those that chose to.

In the nation of Israel Jehovah made a special contribution for the tribe of Levi, for they did not receive a land inheritance, and thus the 12 tribes that did receive one were to provide for the tribe of Levi, food and land. The Christian congregation is not under the Mosaic law, and not under the law to tithe (that is give a 10th for the priestly tribe of Levi).

Jesus set the example when he said "you received free give free."

Jehovah's Witnesses live by this scripture when it comes to making a living:

"Surely you remember, brothers, our labor and toil. We were working night and day, so that we would not put an expensive burden on any one of you, when we preached the good news of God to you."-1 Thessalonians 2:9.

The apostle Paul himself, although a missionary, and always traveling and preaching did not make himself a burden on the brothers by expecting money from them. In fact we are told that he used his trade of making tents to make a living:

(Acts 18:3) and because he had the same trade, he stayed at their home and worked with them, for they were tentmakers by trade.

(Acts 20:34) You yourselves know that these hands have provided for my own needs and the needs of those with me.

Thusly, each elder among the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses works to provide for themselves and their families. No one is paid to preach or teach the good news of God's kingdom. It is all done freely, without charge.
So, in your opinion it would be not permissible for one to earn money from one's status as a person who contributes to the field of religion and spirituality?

I honestly believe I have a spiritual calling

And I want to be financially independent as I value financial indepdence - I am not currently financially independent, which bothers me greatly :(

I don't see why the two cannot go together :shrug:

Audie

Veteran Member

What do people think?

What do people think?

Some prophets get poked with sharp sticks

Kenny

Premium Member
That's good to hear!

I do believe that I have a contribution to make to the field of religion and spirituality

But I'd also like to be able to make an independent living, as I personally value indepdndence
You could look at it this way.

We know that doctors do their work for the benefit of the physical bodies of people.

Would we demand them to do it for nothing? We would have no doctors who would take up their profession. Same for those who offer help for the spiritual part of our bodies.

Would we expect them to help those who can't afford it? Yes. There are times we would do spiritual impartations without renumeration. When they ask me, "How much do you charge for marriage counseling"? nothing. However, if the whole of my practice was just counseling... I would offer free for some and charge for others (to each according to their capacity) for if I did not charge... how would I find time to counsel while the need for the paying of rent is necessary?

So... if you just apply it as a principle, one can easily see the justification (as if one needed to justify) the position.

There was a time when I was bi-vocational - pastoring and working. I got a lot more done when I was able to spend full-time pastoring.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
You could look at it this way.

We know that doctors do their work for the benefit of the physical bodies of people.

Would we demand them to do it for nothing? We would have no doctors who would take up their profession. Same for those who offer help for the spiritual part of our bodies.

Would we expect them to help those who can't afford it? Yes. There are times we would do spiritual impartations without renumeration. When they ask me, "How much do you charge for marriage counseling"? nothing. However, if the whole of my practice was just counseling... I would offer free for some and charge for others (to each according to their capacity) for if I did not charge... how would I find time to counsel while the need for the paying of rent is necessary?

So... if you just apply it as a principle, one can easily see the justification (as if one needed to justify) the position.

There was a time when I was bi-vocational - pastoring and working. I got a lot more done when I was able to spend full-time pastoring.
Thanks, you have made me feel much better about myself