• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major explosion in Beirut

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Because the damage done is consistent with that of a tactical nuclear weapon, the mushroom cloud etc, but now theyre saying 2800 tonnes of ammonium Nitrate fertilizer

Ammonium nitrate is a very powerful explosive. I have seen it used in small amounts to demolish old stone built farm buildings and reshape land.

Mixed in the correct proportion with a very small amount of a another substance it is the most powerful explosive that comes second only to a nuke in power.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Hope research will give the answer. It's bad no matter who was behind it.

I am not sure anyone was behind it. The warehouse that is claimed to be where the blast originated has been subject to investigation and warnings for over 6 years. But who knows, only time will tell

The death toll has risen to 73 with 3700 injured

amorphous_constellation

I’m wondering if the secondary (main) explosion was a tactical nuke. That was positively the largest blast I’ve ever seen.

I listened to the sam harris podcast #210 which he made free in full, and I believe the guest said that today's 'tactical nukes' might be comparable with the early nukes in power .. So if that it is the case, then no this probably wouldn't be one, as a tactical nuke would be more devastating.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
This is clearly a conventional explosion, although a large one. A nuke, even a small one, will have a characteristic flash that this did not have.

Ammonium nitrate has a yield about 3/4 that of TNT. If this was 2800 tons, that would correspond to a 2100 ton TNT explosion. There are certainly nukes that go that low, but there would be no good reason to use them in this case (too many international consequences).

Tactical nukes can go as low as 72 tons of TNT equivalent. But, for comparison, the nukes that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki were 15-20,000 tons TNT equivalent. By today's standards, those are small nukes with a standard ICBM a hundred times as powerful.

This was an amazing shock wave, though.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Why would any nuke need to be that powerful.. what is the tactical explanation they have for the ability to turn so many square miles into nothing?

Once again, a tactical nuke can be fairly small, down to about 72 tons of TNT equivalent. But this explosion is clearly NOT a nuke. It doesn't have the characteristic flash of a nuke, and the initial explosion in the video goes up in a way that would simply not happen in a nuke.

It was a conventional explosion, but a HUGE one. The largest conventional bomb in the US arsenal, the MOAB, had a yield of 11 tons of TNT equivalent.

By comparison, the explosion in Halifax, Nova Scotia on Dec 6, 1917 was about 3000 tons of TNT equivalent, about 50% more than this Beruit explosion.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I saw one estimate that this was 'only' a 240 ton TNT equivalent. That would suggest that only 1/8 of the NH4NO3 actually exploded.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
An Israeli government official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter with the media, told the Associated Press that Israel “had nothing to do” with the blast.
Beirut, Lebanon, explosion causes mushroom cloud, deaths

I guess they felt it was necessary to make a denial.
Well, the Israel-Lebanon border has been tense for ages now, but especially as of late, including terrorists attempting to bomb an IDF vehicle just last week.

Israel has also offered aid to Lebanon and has requested they look past current hostilities in light of the situation.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Don't forget the IDF is a terrorist organization too by the same criteria.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Once again, this has every indication of being an accident. Given the fire prior to the big explosion (which is why everyone was able to record the big one), it being at a plant with ammonium nitrate would almost guarantee a nasty explosion.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Did it scare the person holding the camera or knock him down? It seemed to me like he was knocked down.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Looks like a fire involving fireworks ignited the ammonium nitrate, and the building seen perhaps lessened the impact of the explosion - at least in that direction. Horrible though - and stupid to store such large amounts without proper explosive precautions, and well away from inhabitants. :rolleyes:

Lyndon

Premium Member
It was a massive blast that blew out windows in a 5-10 mile radius.

Lyndon

Premium Member
I don't think there's going to be anything left to investigate but a huge crater

ChristineM

Premium Member
I don't think there's going to be anything left to investigate but a huge crater

You are correct but craters can be revealing, and a forensic investigation, quite possibly with international technicians and observers will come soon enough. Answers are wanted, and trump making idiotic inflammatory comments won't help

Altfish

Veteran Member
Ammonium nitrate is a very powerful explosive. I have seen it used in small amounts to demolish old stone built farm buildings and reshape land.

Mixed in the correct proportion with a very small amount of a another substance it is the most powerful explosive that comes second only to a nuke in power.
It's used in fertilizers, as a kid we used to mix fertilizer (or was it weedkiller) with sugar - they made dangerous explosives.