• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major explosion in Beirut

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
You are correct but craters can be revealing, and a forensic investigation, quite possibly with international technicians and observers will come soon enough. Answers are wanted, and trump making idiotic inflammatory comments won't help

What ever trump says is not going to help.
he has a knack of always saying exactly the right thing to make the situation worse.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It's used in fertilizers, as a kid we used to mix fertilizer (or was it weedkiller) with sugar - they made dangerous explosives.

I remember my older brother playing with such - mixing it into a paste, inserting it into an aluminium snorkel and then lighting it. Fortunately it didn't explode, but the white flame melted the snorkel - understandably. :oops:

Piculet

Looks like a fire involving fireworks ignited the ammonium nitrate, and the building seen perhaps lessened the impact of the explosion - at least in that direction. Horrible though - and stupid to store such large amounts without proper explosive precautions, and well away from inhabitants. :rolleyes:
Must be the fault of some Muslim, on one way or another, right?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Must be the fault of some Muslim, on one way or another, right?

The religion of the person or people who were supposed to monitor such things is rather irrelevant.

Supposedly the government has known about this location for several years and has not been able to get the danger eliminated. Whether Christian or Druze, it is a serious dereliction of duty.

Piculet

The religion of the person or people who were supposed to monitor such things is rather irrelevant.

Supposedly the government has known about this location for several years and has not been able to get the danger eliminated. Whether Christian or Druze, it is a serious dereliction of duty.
The days paper said it was done on purpose.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The days paper said it was done on purpose.

Having that much ammonium nitrate lying around for six years is a problem, even if someone else set it off. It was going to blow at some point. The only question was when.

Piculet

And six years suggests carelessness and neglect much more than purpose, don't you think?
Is this to me or him, I don't know. I think the poster said it was an accident, hence I pointed out my paper disagrees.

I have no education whatsoever in how such things are stored so I'll leave that for others to argue over if they wish.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I've read that there are now 100+ dead, 4,000 injured, and 300,000 homeless in Beirut. This is a major tragedy, and if neglect was indeed the cause, those responsible need to be detained and tried if they are still alive.

Daemon Sophic

beirut-explosion-1.jpg

beirut%20warehouse%20blast%20site%20%281%29.jpg

I had read somewhere yesterday that the port was effectively “gone”.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I have seen reports that there was welding going on at the warehouse and that started a fire.

What I don't understand is why fireworks (which can be seen going off in some of the videos) were stored so close to the ammonium nitrate. That just seems insane to me.

And, of course, having that much ammonium nitrate around in poorly monitored storage, especially when the danger was reported, is criminal negligence.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have seen reports that there was welding going on at the warehouse and that started a fire.

What I don't understand is why fireworks (which can be seen going off in some of the videos) were stored so close to the ammonium nitrate. That just seems insane to me.

And, of course, having that much ammonium nitrate around in poorly monitored storage, especially when the danger was reported, is criminal negligence.

Electric welding has caused so many fires - possibly because with the shield down one might not see such until it is too late. Notice the ship on its side opposite where the explosion happened. :oops: