• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Magpies are good for something then

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Seeing a brownish object flying amongst a group of other birds, mainly pigeons, and the other birds sitting nearby fleeing when it settled atop of a local tree, I guessed it was a predator. Getting out the binoculars I could see it was a sparrowhawk and looking about for its next meal. After a short while, a magpie comes along and shoos it away, being a bit larger and no doubt more bold. And perhaps the sparrowhawk was quite young and not used to such. I know that magpies often take birds' eggs, young birds, and small creatures but never saw them as being that bold towards any predator species.

Is this fairly normal - not been watching the birds for some time?

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
General impression I get, as opportunists and will eat whatever they can get down their throats. And if the eggs aren't taken the young often are by the predators, like sparrowhawks. :(
Or jays.....

Birds are pretty brutal. They don't even have a way to kill their prey quickly, unlike most mammals. They just start plucking them and eating them. Grisly.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Don't type "seagull..." into youtube.
I once got shat on by a seagull, 3 hours before I was due to sing in a concert when I was already in my DJ. Luckily I had taken off my jacket. But I had to take off my shirt in the men's lavatory, wash the front and one sleeve. I put it back on soaking wet, using body heat to dry it in time.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I once got shat on by a seagull, 3 hours before I was due to sing in a concert when I was already in my DJ. Luckily I had taken off my jacket. But I had to take off my shirt in the men's lavatory, wash the front and one sleeve. I put it back on soaking wet, using body heat to dry it in time.
Llandudno is a particularly dangerous town! The locals tend not to eat outside.... The gulls are massive and love the ignorant holidaymakers wandering about. In a split second I was mugged by one - it took my ice- cream and gulped it in one. Given their mode of attack there was no warning, it dropped down from above. I was lucky - injuries are not uncommon: a restaurant owner told me he'd been badly scratched on his scalp by one of their talons when he'd been attacked.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Birds stealing food, and injuries now and then, sting ray stings, broken shells and now and then,
a sharp's tooth, Yah ! ....I used to love the beach, and then I moved here .......MEH !

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
My daughter hand feeds the magpies here. Each generation comes back, which is kinda cool.

They don't bother the large numbers of native birds we get (which are just beautiful) but we have a mother duck nesting by our pool, and I'm a little worried about the eggs.

No dramas last year, and it was a joy to watch the ducklings learn to swim in our swimming pool. We shall see I guess...not much to be done.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
My daughter hand feeds the magpies here. Each generation comes back, which is kinda cool.

They don't bother the large numbers of native birds we get (which are just beautiful) but we have a mother duck nesting by our pool, and I'm a little worried about the eggs.

No dramas last year, and it was a joy to watch the ducklings learn to swim in our swimming pool. We shall see I guess...not much to be done.
They are all birds to me so no preferences - apart from pigeons! :mad: :oops:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
A girl at secondary school had such whilst on a school trip (left or was it right breast targeted?) - so many eager (boys) hands to help her. :oops:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Seeing a brownish object flying amongst a group of other birds, mainly pigeons, and the other birds sitting nearby fleeing when it settled atop of a local tree, I guessed it was a predator. Getting out the binoculars I could see it was a sparrowhawk and looking about for its next meal. After a short while, a magpie comes along and shoos it away, being a bit larger and no doubt more bold. And perhaps the sparrowhawk was quite young and not used to such. I know that magpies often take birds' eggs, young birds, and small creatures but never saw them as being that bold towards any predator species.

Is this fairly normal - not been watching the birds for some time?
In SF Pier 39 fighting seaguls to eat your clam chowder was an interesting experience...

exchemist

Veteran Member
Llandudno is a particularly dangerous town! The locals tend not to eat outside.... The gulls are massive and love the ignorant holidaymakers wandering about. In a split second I was mugged by one - it took my ice- cream and gulped it in one. Given their mode of attack there was no warning, it dropped down from above. I was lucky - injuries are not uncommon: a restaurant owner told me he'd been badly scratched on his scalp by one of their talons when he'd been attacked.
Hitchcock! The gulls in Scheveningen (the seaside town next to the The Hague), where we once lived, were almost as bad. I'm convinced they use crap as a weapon, targeting passers by deliberately - and with some accuracy.