• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Magpies are good for something then

Heyo

Veteran Member
E="Mock Turtle, post: 7362659, member: 63730"]Seeing a brownish object flying amongst a group of other birds, mainly pigeons, and the other birds sitting nearby fleeing when it settled atop of a local tree, I guessed it was a predator. Getting out the binoculars I could see it was a sparrowhawk and looking about for its next meal. After a short while, a magpie comes along and shoos it away, being a bit larger and no doubt more bold. And perhaps the sparrowhawk was quite young and not used to such. I know that magpies often take birds' eggs, young birds, and small creatures but never saw them as being that bold towards any predator species.

Is this fairly normal - not been watching the birds for some time?[/QUOTE]
Corvids are scavengers, they survive by annoying predators away from their prey. It's in their nature to bully the big ones. I've seen crows attac birds of prey, cats, dogs and humans, seemingly for the fun of it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Seeing a brownish object flying amongst a group of other birds, mainly pigeons, and the other birds sitting nearby fleeing when it settled atop of a local tree, I guessed it was a predator. Getting out the binoculars I could see it was a sparrowhawk and looking about for its next meal. After a short while, a magpie comes along and shoos it away, being a bit larger and no doubt more bold. And perhaps the sparrowhawk was quite young and not used to such. I know that magpies often take birds' eggs, young birds, and small creatures but never saw them as being that bold towards any predator species.

Is this fairly normal - not been watching the birds for some time?
You ought to see tiny birds peck away at a hawks head mid flight.

The little guys often win and the hawk seems to be yelling, "GET ME OUTTA HERE"!!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
E="Mock Turtle, post: 7362659, member: 63730"]Seeing a brownish object flying amongst a group of other birds, mainly pigeons, and the other birds sitting nearby fleeing when it settled atop of a local tree, I guessed it was a predator. Getting out the binoculars I could see it was a sparrowhawk and looking about for its next meal. After a short while, a magpie comes along and shoos it away, being a bit larger and no doubt more bold. And perhaps the sparrowhawk was quite young and not used to such. I know that magpies often take birds' eggs, young birds, and small creatures but never saw them as being that bold towards any predator species.

Is this fairly normal - not been watching the birds for some time?
Corvids are scavengers, they survive by annoying predators away from their prey. It's in their nature to bully the big ones. I've seen crows attac birds of prey, cats, dogs and humans, seemingly for the fun of it.[/QUOTE]
We have a young male cat, it was just getting past kitten stage when the young of the local crows were getting ready to fledge. They get very aggressive at that time and will make the lives of cats miserable. After I rescued him a couple of times he figured out how to take care of himself. He could lay down right next to a wooden fence and the crows could not get him. I swear that he would go out there on purpose to rile them up.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You ought to see tiny birds peck away at a hawks head mid flight.

The little guys often win and the hawk seems to be yelling, "GET ME OUTTA HERE"!!
True, some of the little birds can be quite fierce and bold towards almost any other bird, even when they are mistaken. :oops:

bullfinch-6647.jpg