• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Madhuri's Life Story

dust1n

Zindīq
So you are saying that I am permitted to ask a seemingly endless amount of useless and nonsensical questions and you will continue to respond, over and over?

bhasinusc

Here's some things you might not know about me:

I was born in Australia but spend most of my childhood travelling either to Europe or Asia or up and down the east coast of my country. The first time my family ever settled long term in a house was when I was 8 years old. Before that, the longest we had lived in any one place was in a village in West Bengal, India.

I grew up in a very strict religious family. We were ISKON devotees (Hare Krishnas). For the most part, I loved it. But somehow, even as a small child, I was always sceptical of the various dogmatic ideas and rules. I kind of accepted what my parents told me but I would constantly try to make sense of it and question the logic of many ideas.

For some reason my parents decided to send me to a Catholic primary school. Those were the hardest years of my life. It involved a lot of teasing for being 'different'. Some kids hated me specifically because of my religion. Things got better in high school though, and life has been pretty sweet ever since :D

When I was 10, my father decided to get involved with Christianity (and has since become a Christian priest).

When I was about 15 I got involved with online social networks, debating on religious forums like wicca sites and creation vs evolution forums on myspace etc. This was the beginning of my intellectual spiritual journey. I tried my best to keep an open mind and debate respectfully with others. I took on the challenges. Eventually I realised that I could no longer deny things like evolution. I started to realise how allegorical scriptures can be. My perception of reality began to change to the point that I could hardly relate to the devotees that I grew up around.

My spiritual evolution is constant. My understandings are always changing. I am no longer very religious, nor do I consider myself to be a Hare Krishna (haven't for years). But in all this time on thing has remained unchanged: I have never come across anything as wise, powerful or complete as Vedic knowledge and so it is the path I pursue. This is why I consider myself Hindu still.

Discussing religion and philosophy is somewhat of a passion for me. That's why I'm addicted to RF and I'm thankful to all of the members here for making this place so fantastic :)

Have you thought of being a Karma Yogic?. Being a Karma Yogic may open you with more truths u can even wonder. It did it for me.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you thought of being a Karma Yogic?. Being a Karma Yogic may open you with more truths u can even wonder. It did it for me.

I have never really considered it. What can you tell me about Karma Yoga and your experiences with it?

Maija

1) Do you attend any temple? If so, is it an ISKCON based temple?

I go to a meditation group at a local ashram and there's a small puja every Sunday, but I've never really been to a real temple, except a few times in Sri Lanka and India and then it was more a touristic walk thru.

ISKCON, though I do not consider myself a member seems too have a lot of fun. I have a few Hare Krsna friends, there always dancing, singing and laughing, sweet times it seems. And their kirtans are always the ones to move me most..

2- Do you ever miss these times, like in a bittersweet way?

3- Do you play any instrument? Recently, I've been trying to save up for harmonium and kirtan classes ;o)

4- Dating wise- would you seek someone religious? What religion if you had to pick. My spouse is non-religious and it can get tough, sometimes I wish he could come to events with me or know what I feel when I am filled with bhakti.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
1) Do you attend any temple? If so, is it an ISKCON based temple?

I'm open to attending any Hindu temple but there aren't many near me so I mostly go to the Shakti/Durga temples that are closest to me and very rarely to the ISKON one that is also reasonably easy to get to (still takes about 1.5 hours to get to).

I go to a meditation group at a local ashram and there's a small puja every Sunday, but I've never really been to a real temple, except a few times in Sri Lanka and India and then it was more a touristic walk thru.

Do you not go to the temples because they are far away from where you live or you prefer not to go there?

ISKCON, though I do not consider myself a member seems too have a lot of fun. I have a few Hare Krsna friends, there always dancing, singing and laughing, sweet times it seems. And their kirtans are always the ones to move me most..

The Hare Krishnas in general have excellent services. The other Hindu temples I've been to mainly just have singing and everyone is sitting down. But the Hare Krishnas sing, have lectures and also dancing. The one thing they all have in common is amazing feasts! :D

2- Do you ever miss these times, like in a bittersweet way?

I do miss many aspects of being involved in the Hare Krishna community during my childhood. As I don't agree with many of their ideas now, I don't consider myself to be one of them and am not committed to the community but there are a lot of things I love about and miss of it.

3- Do you play any instrument? Recently, I've been trying to save up for harmonium and kirtan classes ;o)

I taught myself some songs on the keyboard/piano but otherwise I've never learned. I love love love the piano but have never committed to the idea of actually learning to play it.

The harmonium would be great to play. Good on you!

4- Dating wise- would you seek someone religious? What religion if you had to pick. My spouse is non-religious and it can get tough, sometimes I wish he could come to events with me or know what I feel when I am filled with bhakti.

I'm fairly open to who I date in terms of religious beliefs (or lack of). In fact my main concern is their diet. I really want to be with a vegetarian. I've had 2 relationships and both men were non-religious and meat eaters and it made things difficult for me.

I've never dated a Hindu, mostly because there are so few in this country and it's hard to meet the ones that exist, what to speak of the fact that most are Indian, I'm not, and most want to marry other Indians...
So anyway, I'm also fairly open in terms of religion. However, I wouldn't be too happy about being in a relationship with someone who is of Abrahamic religion, especially if they are serious about it. I just don't think that's compatible. Being with an atheist would be more compatible.

But from past experience, being with people who weren't of at least eastern religion created a certain void in the relationship. It can still work and be a wonderful relationship but having religion in common makes it even better. at least, that's what I see as best for myself.

Other potentials would be Sikhs, Buddhists, Jain, or people into mysticism and eastern philosophy in general. But a Hindu would be the best choice for me.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I'm fairly open to who I date in terms of religious beliefs (or lack of). In fact my main concern is their diet. I really want to be with a vegetarian. I've had 2 relationships and both men were non-religious and meat eaters and it made things difficult for me.

Yeah being with a meat eater, even if open minded to eat vegetarian food, is hard at the very least. I can't help but feel a bit bad when I'm not cooking meat for my husband but then again, I think I had an influence on him... :D

An atheist who constantly questions your faith and such wouldn't be a great date either, imo. But I can see why being with them instead of a devout Abrahamic might be more compatible.

I enjoyed reading about you (hope that doesn't sound creepy :p). It's nice to hear about the path of other people. How they got to where they are now.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah being with a meat eater, even if open minded to eat vegetarian food, is hard at the very least. I can't help but feel a bit bad when I'm not cooking meat for my husband but then again, I think I had an influence on him... :D

An atheist who constantly questions your faith and such wouldn't be a great date either, imo. But I can see why being with them instead of a devout Abrahamic might be more compatible.

I enjoyed reading about you (hope that doesn't sound creepy :p). It's nice to hear about the path of other people. How they got to where they are now.

Thanks Illy! Hey I'm ok with having fans :p
And yes, you are spot on about the reasons you mentioned above.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
My biggest hobby is latin dancing and my greatest passion is probably reading fiction.

Which kind of latin dance do you prefer ?

Which indian dialect do you speak ?

Which indian plate do you prefer ?

Did australian have specific food ? Except for the beer :)

Your favorite indian movie and actor/actress ?

I confess that i know nothing about hinduism, but do you have a Holy Book ?

Which country do you want to live/to visit ?

Maija

Do you not go to the temples because they are far away from where you live or you prefer not to go there?

They are far, the closest one is 45 min drive away, there's a lot that you might do when you're in a relationship without kids, but when you have a 2 year old involved, it complicates such tasks.

Although, I've taken her to kirtans and she LOVED them, sat through a 2h45 min performance by Gina Sala and ended up on the STAGE dancing and shouting "Maa." :rainbow1:

So, mainly I'll go to local kirtans, there's one each month but I enjoy it so much more than the meditation group :cover:

I've never dated a Hindu, mostly because there are so few in this country and it's hard to meet the ones that exist, what to speak of the fact that most are Indian, I'm not, and most want to marry other Indians...

Yes, I had this experience..

So anyway, I'm also fairly open in terms of religion. However, I wouldn't be too happy about being in a relationship with someone who is of Abrahamic religion, especially if they are serious about it. I just don't think that's compatible. Being with an atheist would be more compatible.

And so I should feel lucky that he's open minded. Met me wearing the hijab, saw me through Islam-Baha'i Faith-and now I'm veering towards Vaishnava Hinduism..Had God given me a religious man when I started looking to date, there could have been much strain through my religious exploration..who knows :shrug:

At that age in India I had my first trance experience. It was very amazing to me and I did it all by myself.

What did you experience, if you don't mind me asking.

Get up at like 4am, walk to the temple for worship. Go have breakfast at the boys' school where my dad worked, play with the kids in my building, go back to the temple later in the day for more worship

Do you still rise so early as part of your sadhana?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm fascinated. I also grew up overseas, it's nice to share experiences

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Which kind of latin dance do you prefer ?

My favourites are Salsa and Bachata

Which indian dialect do you speak ?

None. I only speak English fluently. (I'm not Indian)

Which indian plate do you prefer ?

Hmmm, what do you mean?

Did australian have specific food ? Except for the beer :)

We eat food from all cultures :D
My favourites are Indian, Italian and Chinese.
But I also love Greek, Turkish and Japanese.

Your favorite indian movie and actor/actress ?

Favourite movie is Jodhaa Akbar and my favourite actor is Shahid Kapoor.

I confess that i know nothing about hinduism, but do you have a Holy Book ?

We have many Holy Books.

There are 4 Vedas. These are the eternal texts, directly from the Divine.
Vedas each have 4 parts: Samhitas, Brahmanas, Aranyakas and Upanishads.

The Vedas are like the Quran. They are the primary scriptures.

Then there are the Puranas, which are written by great spiritual masters who have enlightenment and divine insight.

The Puranas are like the Hadiths. They are secondary sources. There are many Puranas. You can fill a bookshelf with them all.

Which country do you want to live/to visit ?

I want to visit soooo many countries. I love travel!
I like living in Australia. It is not a very exciting place but it is easy and comfortable and safe to live here.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
And so I should feel lucky that he's open minded. Met me wearing the hijab, saw me through Islam-Baha'i Faith-and now I'm veering towards Vaishnava Hinduism..Had God given me a religious man when I started looking to date, there could have been much strain through my religious exploration..who knows :shrug:

Compatibility is hard to find. It sounds like you have been lucky to find someone tolerant of your personal beliefs and journey :)

What did you experience, if you don't mind me asking.

In the trance I was looking at my favourite image of Radha and Krishna, lovingly looking at one another. It wasn't a picture, it's like they were there in front of me. And I had no awareness of anything else. Only Radha and Krishna. It was intensely peaceful and sweet. I was sitting in an upright position the whole time I was under trance and had been chanting mantras. My mother was in the room. When I came out of the trance she said I had been chanting the mantras out loud the whole time.

Do you still rise so early as part of your sadhana?

Haha. No. I'm lazy now and love my sleep.

Sorry for so many questions, I'm fascinated. I also grew up overseas, it's nice to share experiences

Oh cool, where did you grow up?

Maija

Maryland, Swaziland, Guinee, Russia, Sri Lanka, Senegal, S.Cali and N. Cali and Kenya.

in that order :)

In the trance I was looking at my favourite image of Radha and Krishna, lovingly looking at one another. It wasn't a picture, it's like they were there in front of me. And I had no awareness of anything else. Only Radha and Krishna. It was intensely peaceful and sweet. I was sitting in an upright position the whole time I was under trance and had been chanting mantras. My mother was in the room. When I came out of the trance she said I had been chanting the mantras out loud the whole time.

I can only imagine the Madhuri as a child so spiritual and sweet at a very young age, it's a very nice picture. I hope my daughter will be like that, she lovingly kisses the Virgin Mary pics that I have, pics of baby Krishna and loves to dance at kirtans.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Maryland, Swaziland, Guinee, Russia, Sri Lanka, Senegal, S.Cali and N. Cali and Kenya.

in that order :)

Wow that's amazing!

I can only imagine the Madhuri as a child so spiritual and sweet at a very young age, it's a very nice picture. I hope my daughter will be like that, she lovingly kisses the Virgin Mary pics that I have, pics of baby Krishna and loves to dance at kirtans.

Aww so sweet :)

Marco19

Researcher
Hello Madhuri,

May i ask some qs related to your POV on Hinduism:

1- your personal feelings towards Brahma? (my feeling is that the Vishnu worshipers respect Shiva and vise versa ... but in general they both neglect Brahma... what about you?)
2- Do you believe in Trimurti as a Hindu concept of creation or it's more western view on Hinduism? and in general how do you define this concept?
3- Do we need gurus as mediators/guider/leader, or it's possible to have a direct connection with the supreme power/creator/god

Thanks in advance :)