• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Madhuri's Life Story

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello Madhuri,

May i ask some qs related to your POV on Hinduism:

1- your personal feelings towards Brahma? (my feeling is that the Vishnu worshipers respect Shiva and vise versa ... but in general they both neglect Brahma... what about you?)

I think Brahma gets neglected because he isn't seen by any group to be the Supreme personality of Godhead.

This is what happens, from the Vaishnava scriptures. Maha Vishnu is the creator of all the infinite universes. They are produced from his own 'body'. Maha Vishnu then manifests simultaneously within each of these created universes (his presence as Maha Vishnu is not affected or changed. Whenever a new expansion or manifestation appears, the original form does not disappear. He simply multiplies).

When Vishnu is manifest in each individual universe he is called Garbhodakasayi Vishnu. This Vishnu then manifests from his own self the forms of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.

According to Shaivism, Brahma, Vishnu and Rudra (another name of Shiva) are the forms of Shiva in the material universe.

So as you may have gathered, the trimurti are not equivalent of the Supreme. They are manifestations of manifestations of manifestations of the original form and they each represent a particular aspect of that Supreme (ie/ creative power, maintainer and destruction).

And thus when a Vaishnava says God is Vishnu, he referring to Maha Vishnu and when a Shaivait says Shiva is God he is not referring to the Shiva/Rudra of the trimurti. At least not directly.

But there is no scripture or sect that I am aware of that holds Brahma as the original form who manifests and manifests.

I hope that made sense.

2- Do you believe in Trimurti as a Hindu concept of creation or it's more western view on Hinduism? and in general how do you define this concept?

The trimurti is of course a Hindu concept but westerners, or anyone, who does not study it properly will become confused and create misconceptions. Of course it is confusing if we say Vishnu to refer to all of Vishnus expansions, for example.

3- Do we need gurus as mediators/guider/leader, or it's possible to have a direct connection with the supreme power/creator/god

Thanks in advance :)

I think in a sense we do. But I don't see guru as only entailing a person who becomes a spiritual teacher. I consider the scriptures to be guru and I consider Paramatma, who resides in the core of every being, to be guru. What spiritual masters are great for is speeding up the process. Otherwise it would be like trying to learn math with only the text book.

Marco19

Researcher
Thanks for your respond,

But there is no scripture or sect that I am aware of that holds Brahma as the original form who manifests and manifests.
As far as i know, they are but few, and they have some temples in the southern part of India, but i always wonder, why the worshipers of Brahma are so few, but on the other hand the others could spread world wide?
actually i'm curious to know what scriptures they use?

As a Vaishnavi, what do you think about the Buddhists? do you consider them on the wrong way because they don't believe that Buddha is one of the incarnations of Vishnu? and even their concepts of creator, reincarnation, soul are totally different from Hinduism.

Sorry if i ask many qs :D
Thanks again.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for your respond,

As far as i know, they are but few, and they have some temples in the southern part of India, but i always wonder, why the worshipers of Brahma are so few, but on the other hand the others could spread world wide?
actually i'm curious to know what scriptures they use?

Unfortunately I have no idea what scriptures they use. It does not surprise me that Brahma isn't a popular deity to worship based on the fact that he is not considered God in the scriptures. Whereas you can make a case that based on scriptures, God is Vishnu/Shiva and Shakti.

I could understand worshiping Brahma alongside other gods, as he is the father of the planets in this universe and its inhabitants, but he is not God.

As a Vaishnavi, what do you think about the Buddhists? do you consider them on the wrong way because they don't believe that Buddha is one of the incarnations of Vishnu? and even their concepts of creator, reincarnation, soul are totally different from Hinduism.

Sorry if i ask many qs :D
Thanks again.

Actually there is an argument by some Hindus (like Prabhupada) who explain that Gautama is the not the same Buddha as listed as a Vishnu avatar. According to this argument, Gautama was a devotee of Vishnu Buddha. Not sure if this is true or not.

I don't think that the belief that Gautama was an avatar is actually important. If he was an avatar than worshipping him with or without this belief has the same benefit and if he wasn't an avatar, but simply an enlightened personality, then following his teachings is also beneficial. It's a win win :D

I quite like Buddhism, but I think it is limiting. Even though it is so similar to Hinduism, it is also quite the opposite. While Buddhism speaks of the void and nothingness, seeking to empty the consciousness through meditation, Hinduism finds the void and then goes beyond it into the infinite. So my perception is that Buddhism stops where Hindus just gets started.

Also, I love being asked questions so no need to apologise!

Marco19

Researcher
I could understand worshiping Brahma alongside other gods, as he is the father of the planets in this universe and its inhabitants, but he is not God.
Then, why he is part of the trinity not Shakti?

like Prabhupada
Oh are you ISKON-ian

to be honest, i have a very bad experience with ISKON members therefore i always try to avoid anything related to them, even claims and explanations of the Prabhupada.

since you have mentioned ISKON, may i ask what do you think of that organisation/institution/cult/sect ... as you like to call.

following his teachings is also beneficial. It's a win win
this means you believe that approaching the supreme may be through totally different religions, not only Hinduism as a path.

Hinduism finds the void and then goes beyond it into the infinite. So my perception is that Buddhism stops where Hindus just gets started.
may be it's cause of the concept of ego/self/soul/spirit ... however you call that entity, which is not the case in Buddhism.
in Hinduism is more to cleanse/purify your soul, in a way it breaks the fetter of the cycle and enters the infinite (please correct if i'm wrong)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Then, why he is part of the trinity not Shakti?

The trinity are only responsible for the individual universe. They are not actually God. Shakti is one aspect of God, the creative will. She is creation itself, all that is manifest and all that exists. Her personification is as the consort of the male manifestations. So she stands next to Vishnu as is creative will known as Lakshmi. She stands next to Brahma as his creative will known as Saraswati. And she stands next to Shiva as his creative will as Parvati.

I am not sure what the beliefs are about the trinity according to Shakti traditions.

Oh are you ISKON-ian

to be honest, i have a very bad experience with ISKON members therefore i always try to avoid anything related to them, even claims and explanations of the Prabhupada.

since you have mentioned ISKON, may i ask what do you think of that organisation/institution/cult/sect ... as you like to call.

I was born into it but my family left ISCKON when I was 9 years old.

I'm not a fan of ISCKON, I think they are extreme and misunderstand and misrepresent Hindu philosophy. To me they are basically evangelical Christians who replace Jesus with Krishna.

I do think there are good things about the institution and have had some good influences in the world but I think it is a terrible representation of Hinduism. Then again Prabhupada tried to argue that it isn't a Hindu religion. But it is.

this means you believe that approaching the supreme may be through totally different religions, not only Hinduism as a path.

Yes, definitely.

may be it's cause of the concept of ego/self/soul/spirit ... however you call that entity, which is not the case in Buddhism.
in Hinduism is more to cleanse/purify your soul, in a way it breaks the fetter of the cycle and enters the infinite (please correct if i'm wrong)

Hinduism is more about realising that our soul is part of the Divine, not separate from God and to realise our spiritual origin rather than identifying with the material body. (The soul cannot be purified as it is already completely pure)

Marco19

Researcher
The soul cannot be purified as it is already completely pure

Then how do you understand the concept of Naraka?

If the main role of Yama is to take the souls according to their karma and keep them for a period of time in hell or heaven,
then what exactly is going to be purified?

or you believe that Naraka is like a service station more or less like "maintenance"?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Then how do you understand the concept of Naraka?

If the main role of Yama is to take the souls according to their karma and keep them for a period of time in hell or heaven,
then what exactly is going to be purified?

or you believe that Naraka is like a service station more or less like "maintenance"?

Purification implies there is something wrong with the soul. But the soul is never anything other than a perfect spiritual being. When the soul is covered by maya/illusion, it must undergo a journey of re-discovery (that is, rediscovery of its true nature). The laws of material nature act to take the individual from a state of complete ignorance to complete self-awareness. Both pleasure and suffering are necessary. Karma is necessary. Naraka is a place where bad karma is worked off. Through suffering comes understanding.

The soul is not being purified through life, whether suffering or pleasure; it is being awakened.

Marco19

Researcher
Naraka is a place where bad karma is worked off. Through suffering comes understanding.

How do you understand the following:
Naraka, as you have mentioned, is a place where the bad karma is worked off, then why after it, the soul dwell in a worse condition?
don't you think that this is a double punishment?

Another question, i have already long time ago asked in Hinduism dir, but would like to know your opinion. As a Vaishnavi, how do you understand the role of Shiva as destroyer, and the role of Kalki who plays the same role? are they the same? if not, then how do you define both?

Thanks again :)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you understand the following:
Naraka, as you have mentioned, is a place where the bad karma is worked off, then why after it, the soul dwell in a worse condition?
don't you think that this is a double punishment?

What do you mean by worse condition?
What happens after Naraka is not possible to predict. People go to Naraka for different reasons, stay for different amounts of time and then depending on their specific karma are reincarnated into a body which can be plant, animal, human or even god.

Myself and many Hindus do not believe in a literal place of torment or punishment. And in the Vedas, Naraka is not mentioned much. It is more the Puranas, which have been corrupted imo, that detail punishments that occur in those hellish planets.

Another question, i have already long time ago asked in Hinduism dir, but would like to know your opinion. As a Vaishnavi, how do you understand the role of Shiva as destroyer, and the role of Kalki who plays the same role? are they the same? if not, then how do you define both?

Thanks again :)

Shiva is destroyer but this destruction is not just about eliminating the universe, it is about renewal. Through destruction comes rejuvenation and a new beginning. The universe, like all things in the material existence, has a life span. Shiva brings it to its end in order for its new life to begin. And this is an endless cycle of birth and death of the universe.

Kalki is different. He is a Vishnu avatar. His role is to destroy the 'evil' people and restore religious (Vedic) principles. He will herald in a new era or Age, one that is highly spiritual and mystical.

The idea is that the world will fall so low that most of the population will be violent criminals. Religion will be almost completely extinguished and people will be without any morals. Kalki is then the hero who restores righteousness. This is basically what every Vishnu Avatar does. Whenever there is danger of the world falling into complete ignorance, He appears to restore a balance. Kalki is the most violent of the avatars.

Marco19

Researcher
What do you mean by worse condition?
i'll try to explain what i mean by using the caste system.
for instance if a ruler made some crimes then his soul will go to hell (first punishment), then after the Naraka he comes to a lower caste or maybe non human body animal or planet (second punishment).
technically double punishment, ends by dwelling a new body which is lower than it was before, this what i meant by worse condition.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
i'll try to explain what i mean by using the caste system.
for instance if a ruler made some crimes then his soul will go to hell (first punishment), then after the Naraka he comes to a lower caste or maybe non human body animal or planet (second punishment).
technically double punishment, ends by dwelling a new body which is lower than it was before, this what i meant by worse condition.

That doesn't necessarily happen. You might end up in the same position, worse or better depending on your karma. Going to Naraka doesn't get rid of all your bad karma. You only go there in the first place for specific reasons. If you also did a lot of good things in your life, you could end up in a great life after coming back from Naraka. It all depends on what you do with your lives.

Marco19

Researcher
Thank you Madhuri that was really helpful.

i wonder if you have favorite author(s)/swami in Hinduism?
and/or if you read any of other religion?

and in general what is/are your fav book(s) of the following genres (if you have):
- diaries/memoirs/biography/autobiography
-non fiction novels

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you Madhuri that was really helpful.

My pleasure :)

i wonder if you have favorite author(s)/swami in Hinduism?
and/or if you read any of other religion?

and in general what is/are your fav book(s) of the following genres (if you have):
- diaries/memoirs/biography/autobiography
-non fiction novels

My all time favourite authors are Valmiki and Vyasa Deva :D
Of recent persons I quite like Yogananda.

I read a little about Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism and in the past I've studied a little on Paganism and Abrahamic religions. But I want to study each much more to become properly knowledgeable.

I don't read many non-fiction novels. The ones that I have read and enjoyed are Eat Pray Love, Shantarama and Down Under by Bill Bryson.

bp789

In your experience, how do most Indian Hindus feel/react when they figure out you practice Hinduism? Are they respectful and fine with it for the most part?

Have you faced any problems or judgment about being a western Hindu? (problems from anyone, not just Indians)

How many non-Indian Hindus do you know in real life? I know the forum has a majority of "convert" Hindus, but I've met very few in real life.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Most Indian Hindus that I've met have been kind but surprised. I usually get the sentence 'I didn't think you could be Hindu if you aren't Indian'. And then I have to try and explain that there are in fact many non-Indian Hindus in the world and that yes, you can be a non-Indian Hindu.

I personally have never been given negative feedback or treated badly by Indian Hindus who find out I am Hindu. I have been discriminated against through my school years by some westerners because of my religion. Even by some 'friends'.

Most of the Hindus I know personally are non-Indians. Some of my best friends are half Indians.

mariya123

hi,
madhuri's life is going on very well.she is a very good actress,dancer..she is very gorgeous.......................................................