• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lot, One of the Bible's bad Guys

Thana

Lady
So, if righteousness has nothing to do with being "morally good" and "acting in accord with divine or moral law : free from guilt or sin," just what does righteousness mean in the Bible?

But other Christians do and have judged him to be righteous.

I've never been absolutely sure what "fearing god" means,but if all it takes to be righteous is to fear god, then I assume one could be a serial child sex abuser who poisons little old ladies and still be considered righteous. That about it?

I just told you. Righteousness is attributed to those that fear God.

And I've done terrible things, you've done terrible things, maybe not something as morally reprehensible as serial child abuse but none of us are innocent. So yes, sure, if they were truly repentant than they could be considered righteous. Goodness, righteousness, when it comes to human beings those things don't require a perfect record otherwise none of us would be considered good enough.

Repentence isn't saying sorry, It's being repentent. In your heart, in your soul, you are changed forever.

Thana

Lady
I suppose that is all the same to me.

I swear, using scripture as a reference for morality... that is just weird.

Of course not.
Morality is not a divine concept.

An apology for misinterpreting my post and getting all stuffy about it wouldn't go amiss. But it's up to you :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Of course not.
Morality is not a divine concept.

According to some. Despite the ample evidence that it is not.

I don't think I will ever understand that, either.

(Edited to add; gosh. I somehow read "is a divine concept" there). Of course morality is not a divine concept)

An apology for misinterpreting my post and getting all stuffy about it wouldn't go amiss. But it's up to you :)

What did I misinterpret?

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
I just told you. Righteousness is attributed to those that fear God.
Just not sure what "fear of god" means.

And I've done terrible things, you've done terrible things, maybe not something as morally reprehensible as serial child abuse but none of us are innocent. So yes, sure, if they were truly repentant than they could be considered righteous.
Okay, then can I take it that fearing god means repenting one's sins? If so, then the trouble with the Lot story is that from what I can tell he never repented. Have a I missed this somewhere?

prometheus11

Right.
So it would be fine for me to judge you as a person based solely on the bad things you've done?

No. You judge the totality of the person. Not one aspect. Your art and personality are one and the same; sins tint that, they don't color it.

Thana

Lady
Just not sure what "fear of god" means.

Okay, then can I take it that fearing god means repenting one's sins? If so, then the trouble with the Lot story is that from what I can tell he never repented. Have a I missed this somewhere?

No, fearing God is in all ways revering Him.

And I don't think it's fair to judge Lot based on a story about Him. A persons life is more than that, And Lots entire life and every thought was not accounted for so I cannot say. All I know is that he was deemed righteous because of his fear of God. His sins do not negate that.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So it would be fine for me to judge you as a person based solely on the bad things you've done?
Of course, "bad" is a subjective term. According to literalist Evangelic Christians, I am a blasphemous abomination who was defied the will of God, and simply unforgivable for my denouncing of the Holy Ghost. According to some people I have my "quirks" and "indulgences" that no good person would do, but I'm other wise a good person. To some people I don't do these "bad things."
But, the point still remains, our "sins" reflect our heart, and it isn't necessarily a reflection of a wicked or bad person, but they could also be "damaged," or just not into the whole concept of sin and living by a totally different code of morality that doesn't consider the same actions as morally wrong (sex easily falls under this).

Skwim

Veteran Member
No, fearing God is in all ways revering Him.
Thanks.

And I don't think it's fair to judge Lot based on a story about Him. A persons life is more than that, And Lots entire life and every thought was not accounted for so I cannot say. All I know is that he was deemed righteous because of his fear of God. His sins do not negate that.
Fine, then it still stands that if one is a serial child sex abuser who poisons little old ladies, as long as you revere god you're a righteous guy. BOY, this sure puts a spin on the meaning of "righteous." We then have two very different meanings of "righteousness"

1) Common meaning:
a. morally good
b.acting in accord with moral law
c.morally right or justifiable
2) Christian meaning
a. Fearing (revering) god​

Thana

Lady
Thanks.

Fine, then it still stands that if one is a serial child sex abuser who poisons little old ladies, as long as you revere god you're a righteous guy. BOY, this sure puts a spin on the meaning of "righteous." We then have two very different meanings of "righteousness"

1) Common meaning:
a. morally good
b.acting in accord with moral law
c.morally right or justifiable
2) Christian meaning
a. Fearing (revering) god​

In what way is abusing children and poisoning little old ladies (Is that the best imagery you could conjure btw?) revering God? Only someone who has truly repented of that is capable of righteousness.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Only someone who has truly repented of that is capable of righteousness.
How could David have truly repented to the man he sent on a suicide mission? He couldn't have, and that is the one he needed forgiveness from. Doing what David did, there is no justification in calling him "righteous" just because he was a "god fearing" man. Lot offered his daughters to be gang raped. Someone who would resort to such a thing has no right or business being called "righteous." God fearing or not, offering your daughters as expendable pieces of meat is something only a real ******* could do.

Thana

Lady
How could David have truly repented to the man he sent on a suicide mission? He couldn't have, and that is the one he needed forgiveness from. Doing what David did, there is no justification in calling him "righteous" just because he was a "god fearing" man. Lot offered his daughters to be gang raped. Someone who would resort to such a thing has no right or business being called "righteous." God fearing or not, offering your daughters as expendable pieces of meat is something only a real ******* could do.

When David realized what he'd done he howled and tore his shirt and fell to his knees. All very dramatic. Everyone does terrible things, the only difference is some are sorry afterwards and want to change and some are not.

Lot wasn't a perfect man, David was not a perfect man, none of us are perfect and by your general definition none of us are righteous. But Lot and David were men of God, men who wanted to be better than what they were. If that's not good enough for you then fine, I can't argue with impossible standards.

Skwim

Veteran Member
In what way is abusing children and poisoning little old ladies (Is that the best imagery you could conjure btw?)
First that came to mind I guess. :shrug:

. . . revering God?
I wouldn't say it is. My point is; from what you've said, as far as being a righteous person it doesn't make any difference what one does (hence my two examples) as long as one fears god. Because fearing god will make you righteous.

Only someone who has truly repented of that is capable of righteousness.
Okay, let's get this straightened out.

In post 43 you said one can be considered righteous if one repents.

then and in post 51 you said

a) to be righteous one must must fear god,​
and
b) fearing god is revering him.
Therefore, it follows that to be righteous one must revere god​

So we have two ways one can be righteous
1) repent (post 43)
2) revere god (post 51)
Which is it?

Thana

Lady
First that came to mind I guess. :shrug:

I wouldn't say it is. My point is; from what you've said, as far as being a righteous person it doesn't make any difference what one does (hence my two examples) as long as one fears god. Because fearing god will make you righteous.

Okay, let's get this straightened out.

In post 43 you said one can be considered righteous if one repents.

then and in post 51 you said

a) to be righteous one must must fear god,​
and
b) fearing god is revering him.
Therefore, it follows that to be righteous one must revere god​

So we have two ways one can be righteous
1) repent (post 43)
2) revere god (post 51)
Which is it?

For goodness sake, it's not either or.
Repentence is what God calls us to do, it is an act of revering God.

Skwim

Veteran Member
For goodness sake, it's not either or.
Repentence is what God calls us to do, it is an act of revering God.
Okey dokey, but the Bible never says Lot repented of anything, much less of what he did to his daughters, yet Christians say he was righteous. The Bible never says Lot revered god, yet Christians say he was righteous. Of course one can always suppose he repented, or suppose he revered god, but this could be said about anyone. So the big question is, why make an issue of his righteousness?

Why does 2 Peter 2:7 make a point of calling him a righteous man? Why not say Lot ate lamb last Thursday? It's no less significant.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If that's not good enough for you then fine, I can't argue with impossible standards.
It's not an impossible standard to expect someone to not abuse their power in a way that he sends someone to die so he can have his wife, or expecting someone to care enough about their daughters (or sons) to not offer them up for a gang rape. No one is perfect, but those deeds are utterly despicable. David could have starved himself to death over guilt and stress, but it wouldn't have done the victim any good. Lot made an offering that no reasonable or good parent would even think of. Being "men of god" should not be sufficient to excuse such abhorrent actions and proclaim them "righteous."