• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lord answering Satan

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
In the book of Job, why did the Lord allow Satan to curse a man? Why
did the Lord give in to Satan's requests?

Most of you would know this passage, but I will quote it anyway.

Job 1:12 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD

Please give opinions/beliefsfacts etc.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Because, He was proving something to Satan. And to Job.

To Satan, He was proving that even though Job could go through horrible things, he would still love God.

To Job, He proved that no matter what if you hold onto your faith God will see you through it and you will come out better.

Edit:

Even if it is metaphorical in nature, there is still the moral. Hold your faith in the Lord, for He will see you through hard times and bring you to prosperity.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
to me The satan is saying, look he hasn't been tested, he's lived a good and blessed life, of course he's going to be singing your praises. So Hashem tells The satan that he may try and test Job to see if Job will curse HaShem.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Renaldo said:
But using Job as his own personal "test tube" is not a bad thing of the Lord to do?
i don't think that the point is to see Job as a "test tube" to to illistrate to all who believe the we should keep our faith in HaShem no matter how hard things get...

Temporarily Deactive.
jewscout said:
i don't think that the point is to see Job as a "test tube" to to illistrate to all who believe the we should keep our faith in HaShem no matter how hard things get...
It was an unfortunate incident for Job being the example then?

blueman

God's Warrior
God allowed Satan to test Job's faith, but also presented him with boundaries that represented the Lord's Sovereign control. Even to this day, Satan continually attacks God's children and serves as a prosecutor against the body of Christ to God. Jesus became our defender and advocate when he died on the cross. God tests our and faith and allows even Satan reign on this earth to test the people of God and to keep the ungodly from coming to know the gift that God gave man through His Son, Jesus Christ. :)

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
How so Ori? (Do you mind If I refer to you as that or would you prefer Orichalcum?)

Temporarily Deactive.
Amos 4:6:9 "Many times I struck your gardens and vineyards, I struck them with blight and mildew. Locusts devoured your fig and olive trees, yet you have not returned to me," declares the LORD. 10 "I sent plagues among you as I did to Egypt. I killed your young men with the sword, along with your captured horses. I filled your nostrils with the stench of your camps, yet you have not returned to me," declares the LORD.

Is this another example of how God tests people? By killing men, and spreading plagues?
Is this how He shows us to never give up faith?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Renaldo said:
It was an unfortunate incident for Job being the example then?
well in this particular instance he was, but the concept of bad things happening to good people isn't a unique experience. This story was chosen to illistrate the importance of maintaining faith even through the hard times...

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
which oppress the poor, which crush the needy
Come to Bethel, and transgress; at Gilgal multiply transgression
For they know not to do right, saith the LORD, who store up violence and robbery in their palaces.
These are all quotes prior to the verses in question.

Also you will note that the hardships increase as the chapter goes on.

The Lord is angered because not only has His chosen people decided to forgo Him, they also have decidedly forgone righteousness, caring, ect.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Renaldo said:
Amos 4:6:9 "Many times I struck your gardens and vineyards, I struck them with blight and mildew. Locusts devoured your fig and olive trees, yet you have not returned to me," declares the LORD. 10 "I sent plagues among you as I did to Egypt. I killed your young men with the sword, along with your captured horses. I filled your nostrils with the stench of your camps, yet you have not returned to me," declares the LORD.

Is this another example of how God tests people? By killing men, and spreading plagues?
Is this how He shows us to never give up faith?
i think Mister E is on the right track...
This is actually punishment for the Jews who have ignored their covenant and turned from HaShem

Temporarily Deactive.
Mister Emu said:
These are all quotes prior to the verses in question.

Also you will note that the hardships increase as the chapter goes on.
I am aware of both, Emu, but I was using a mere example of my own. I am not
as unintelligent as I am made out to be :)