• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lord answering Satan

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
jewscout said:
i think Mister E is on the right track...
This is actually punishment for the Jews who have ignored their covenant and turned from HaShem
So, God does not WISH us to come to HIM, but DEMANDS it? If we weren't to go through
all this rigmarole to turn to Him, he would be unhappy and curse us? That can't be right.

Basically He says then "Come to me, or thee shall die." So we go to Him, so
he can use us as examples to the non believers.

"Damned if we do, damned if we don't"

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I am aware of both, Emu, but I was using a mere example of my own. I am not
as unintelligent as I am made out to be
I never called you unintelligent, nor did I mean to imply it, if you felt I did, I am sorry.

As an example for what may I ask?

Anyone?
If I wee God, that wold be a no no.
Well we are all His children, the Jews are just the favorites :D

Plus(as I see it) the Jews were like "We don't need you! We can take care of ourselves!" and God is like "Oh really now? Ok, go ahead take care of yourselves, but if you do wrong, I am still your Father."

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
blueman said:
God allowed Satan to test Job's faith, but also presented him with boundaries that represented the Lord's Sovereign control. Even to this day, Satan continually attacks God's children and serves as a prosecutor against the body of Christ to God. Jesus became our defender and advocate when he died on the cross. God tests our and faith and allows even Satan reign on this earth to test the people of God and to keep the ungodly from coming to know the gift that God gave man through His Son, Jesus Christ. :)
I agree; my wonderful reference resource says:-

Satan here is proposing a scientific experiment, testing Job's professed faith in God by causing him to suffer great loss. God is allowing it, at least in Job's case, knowing that Job's faith will not fail, thus demonstrating to "the principalities and powers in the heavenly places...the manifold wisdom of God" (Ephesians 3:10).

3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

This verse yields an amazing brief insight into God's purposes with respect to His angelic creation, both the holy angels and the fallen angels who have followed Satan in his age-long rebellion against God:)

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I see, once again the Master has shown me the way.
Hmm, is there sarcasm in there? I can never tell with the peasants :p :D
(just kidding, though I would like to know if you were being sarcastic)

Renaldo,

The Jews have a covenant with the Lord. If the Jews break their side of the deal, there are reprocussions, just like in any contract.(At least how I see it.)

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I meant on the "has shown the way" part. Also please don't call me master. No matter how much it inflates my ego and makes me feel good :D I do not feel above any other person so as to be called Master.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Renaldo said:
So, God does not WISH us to come to HIM, but DEMANDS it? If we weren't to go through
all this rigmarole to turn to Him, he would be unhappy and curse us? That can't be right.

Basically He says then "Come to me, or thee shall die." So we go to Him, so
he can use us as examples to the non believers.

"Damned if we do, damned if we don't"
no no no
Renaldo, first off, the covenant was made for the Nation of Israel
secondly, the covenant is essentially a contract between the Nation of Israel and Hashem which provides both rewards and punishments for following it. The second paragraph in the Shema sums it up...
And it shall come to pass if you surely listen to the commandments
that I command you today, to love the Lord your G-d,
and to serve him with all your heart and all your soul,
That I will give rain to your land, the early and the late rains,
that you may gather in your grain, your wine and your oil
And I will give grass in your fields for your cattle and you will eat and you will be satisfied.
Beware, lest your heart be deceived,
and you turn and serve other gods, and worship them
And anger of the Lord will blaze against you, and he will close the heavens and there will not be rain,
and the earth will not give you its fullness,
and you will perish quickly from the good land that the Lord gives you

Temporarily Deactive.
Mister Emu said:
The Jews have a covenant with the Lord. If the Jews break their side of the deal, there are reprocussions, just like in any contract.(At least how I see it.)
But many a time in the Bible, God has punished those who do not seek Him.

blueman

God's Warrior
Renaldo said:
Amos 4:6:9 "Many times I struck your gardens and vineyards, I struck them with blight and mildew. Locusts devoured your fig and olive trees, yet you have not returned to me," declares the LORD. 10 "I sent plagues among you as I did to Egypt. I killed your young men with the sword, along with your captured horses. I filled your nostrils with the stench of your camps, yet you have not returned to me," declares the LORD.

Is this another example of how God tests people? By killing men, and spreading plagues?
Is this how He shows us to never give up faith?
God deals with disobedience and sin in many different ways. Its okay to question the "Whys" of what He did and allowed to happen, but at the end of the day, He is The Sovereign God, The Almighty and the "I Am" and we have honor and accept that fact. :)

Temporarily Deactive.
jewscout said:
such as...
JS, please do not humour me. Here are some examples of God punishing/cursing man
in the Bible that you ask of.

Exodus 35 And the LORD plagued the people, because they made the calf, which Aaron made.

(worship of the calf)

Amos 4:6:9 "Many times I struck your gardens and vineyards, I struck them with blight and mildew. Locusts devoured your fig and olive trees, yet you have not returned to me," declares the LORD. 10 "I sent plagues among you as I did to Egypt. I killed your young men with the sword, along with your captured horses. I filled your nostrils with the stench of your camps, yet you have not returned to me," declares the LORD

(for not coming to the Lord)

Deut:28:15"But if you will not obey the voice of the LORD your God or be careful to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.

(for not obeying the Lord)

Deut.5:8-9: I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand {generations} of those who love me and keep my commandments.

(punishing those who hate Him)

Revelation 14:9 If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand,he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulphur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb.And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name.

(for worshipping Beast instead of God)

Nephi 4:13 Behold the Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous purposes. It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
When I was a christian, I didn't like the story of Job because it made god look like a gambler with a very large ego. But then again "....for I am a jealous God.."

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Exodus 35
Amos 4:6:9
Deut:28:15
All refer to the Israelite people.

Deut. 5:8-9 says.
'You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 9 you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,
Rev. Is the end time, and when you get the mark of the beast, you are worshipping Lucifer. You are an enemy of God, and His surviving people.

Nephi 4:13
Nephi? That is an LDS book right? I can't say anything about this because I ahve never read it.

true blood

No where in the book of Job does God strike him. I see where Satan comes along and tries to tempt God into doing just that because Satan is trying to take away man's blessing plus after the next couple verses is a day when Job's sons and daughters were happy living up life then Satan, not God, brought destruction. It shows Satan working through the Sabeans and the Chaldeans, people, and the natural elements, the wind. I do not see why people claim this is a test by God. Such destructive forces are not a blessing which will draw men closer to God or cause someone to be a better preson or how they say it humbles someone so he may become more refined person. But rather the story of Job shows that God made Job the most prosperous man in all the East. Satan came and took all, leaving Job without family, possessions, and without health. It's about the contrast. Job had been perfect and complete. Satan made Job to become imperfect and destitue. And the book doesn't teach that God just allowed Satan to strike him for a mere test of faith. Job had been living accordingly to God's Word when the spirit of fear leached unto him allowing the protection of God to be breached by Satan. Job says himself 3:25 "For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me". Job got the result of his fearing.

Temporarily Deactive.
Mister Emu said:
All refer to the Israelite people.

Scout was not asking which people in general Emu. Yes, the quotes refer to
the Israelites. So what is your point exactly?

Mister Emu said:
Rev. Is the end time, and when you get the mark of the beast, you are worshipping Lucifer. You are an enemy of God, and His surviving people.
Thus God punishing one for not believing in Him:bonk: ..

I am not even going to start on True Blood's reply.

(Renaldo has withdrawn from this thread)

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Renaldo said:
Scout was not asking which people in general Emu. Yes, the quotes refer to
the Israelites. So what is your point exactly?
Jewscout said:
the covenant is essentially a contract between the Nation of Israel and Hashem which provides both rewards and punishments for following it.
My point is, that there is a contract between the nation of Israel and the Lord. What happens when you break a contract in today's society? There is punishment, the same is true of the Israel/Lord God contract. Benefits come when the contract is followed, reprocussions when it is broken. The same as any other.

Thus God punishing one for not believing in Him
Or, for taking an active stand with the beast against Him and His people. There is a difference between just not following God and taking a stand against Him.

(Renaldo has withdrawn from this thread)
Why?