• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a Source about Ein Kelokeinu

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, this is interesting. We appear to be in the middle of a Jewish Rfer geulah.

Tumah

Veteran Member
The practice among Ashkenazic Jewry outside of Israel is not to say Ein Kelokeinu every day. I'm trying to find a source and reasoning behind that. I thought I read a reason (not just because one who said it would lose time from work - R. Hershler on page 2 here) which would lead me to other questions, but have been unable to (re)find it so I won't even put it out there yet.

Any help appreciated.
Have you seen this?
אנציקלופדיה יהודית דעת - אין כאלהינו ;

rosends

Thanks (and nice to see you around) -- most of this is stuff that I found in the sources but what is interesting is:

1. The claim that we say E"K bnosaf (which seems to me to be "in addition to" when, in fact, we say E"K first, and then the ketoret are in addition to it,

but more interesting is

2. The reference to the Gr"a practice at the end doesn't make it clear if the practice is to say E"K AND Ketoret or just E"K daily.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Yes which still leads to the question "if I can get more brachot on a Tuesday and be assured of my 100 more quickly, what's so bad about that?"
Mussaf for Shabbat has a special quality which makes E-K more appropriate?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes which still leads to the question "if I can get more brachot on a Tuesday and be assured of my 100 more quickly, what's so bad about that?"
Perhaps that's the reason in itself: to not have you view the brachot as something to be crossed off of a checklist.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
I don't know why you would follow someone you say is demented, but if that works for you, have at it.

I don't think you do as you have said "The issue is respect for G-d, not electronics, permanence, etc., I think" but the halachic argument centers around the definition of those terms and their iteration in the real world. As to what you impute as my recommendation, I don't know where you get that. I was the one specifically objecting to that while you said that you blindly follow your (demented) rabbi. You seem to be more lost than I thought.

And don't worry -- I don't crave your forgiveness.
RR, the problem I have with your approach is its within a closed system of Torah and Talmud. Big R has read a little analysis, but he’s mainly Conservodox. You operate within a fixed set of assumptions which limits your understanding. Btw I studied Talmud for 7 years, so I know a lot about Halacha. If you studied physics or chemistry beyond the high school level we could relate better. I think. And, which of the 3 Moses’ is your fav? No hints big R.

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
RR, the problem I have with your approach is its within a closed system of Torah and Talmud. Big R has read a little analysis, but he’s mainly Conservodox. You operate within a fixed set of assumptions which limits your understanding. Btw I studied Talmud for 7 years, so I know a lot about Halacha. If you studied physics or chemistry beyond the high school level we could relate better. I think. And, which of the 3 Moses’ is your fav? No hints big R.
Arguably, every belief system is "closed" as every belief system has its own boundaries. Even your 3 R's system.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Arguably, every belief system is "closed" as every belief system has its own boundaries. Even your 3 R's system.
Haha, Harel, you are a funny dude ! What does Torah tell us about creation ? G-d created the heaven and earth. Who is G-d? A computer simulator ?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Thanks (and nice to see you around) -- most of this is stuff that I found in the sources but what is interesting is:

1. The claim that we say E"K bnosaf (which seems to me to be "in addition to" when, in fact, we say E"K first, and then the ketoret are in addition to it,
I don't think the order we put it necessarily defines which must have been first.

but more interesting is

2. The reference to the Gr"a practice at the end doesn't make it clear if the practice is to say E"K AND Ketoret or just E"K daily.
That's true, but I'd guess it means everything since it's that whole portion that's added on afterward in nusach Ashkenaz siddurim.

rosends

Perhaps that's the reason in itself: to not have you view the brachot as something to be crossed off of a checklist.
Not a checklist, but an obligation and why should I not be zariz to fulfill the obligation -- makdimin l'mitzvos.

rosends

The problem I have with your approach is that you make a lot of assumptions about me instead of actually looking at what I write, and you feel the need to label people and situations. If you studied reading comprehension beyond the elementary school level, we could relate better.

rosends

I don't think the order we put it necessarily defines which must have been first.

That's true, but I'd guess it means everything since it's that whole portion that's added on afterward in nusach Ashkenaz siddurim.
so which is the ikar? Is ketoret added because it is a logical extension of E"K or is E"K added because it is a nice lead in to ketoret? Could we say one without the other, and if so, which? Chicken and egg?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Not a checklist, but an obligation and why should I not be zariz to fulfill the obligation -- makdimin l'mitzvos.
I hear you. The flip side is feeling less of an obligation for later tefillot if you've already fulfilled your 100.