• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Logically contradictory

King Phenomenon

Forgiving someone while supporting the justice system. Believing abortion is wrong while supporting a woman's right to choose. Any others? Is one two faced?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Forgiving someone while supporting the justice system. Believing abortion is wrong while supporting a woman's right to choose. Any others? Is one two faced?

I think it's possible to support a woman's right to choose while believing abortion is wrong. It isn't necessarily contradictory or two-faced. One can believe that smoking and drinking are wrong, but wouldn't interfere with someone else's choice to do that.

King Phenomenon

I think it's possible to support a woman's right to choose while believing abortion is wrong. It isn't necessarily contradictory or two-faced. One can believe that smoking and drinking are wrong, but wouldn't interfere with someone else's choice to do that.
So I guess someone else has the right to put a criminal in prison as well.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Those examples don't seem contradictory to me at all...
*Shrugs*

How do you figure they are?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I disagree with most abortion, but support the right of women to choose. I don't see that as contradictory or two-faced.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
A person can be forgiven by others and still receive the distribution of the justice system of they are found guilty of a crime.

Having strong opinions, but being open to the possibility of being convinced to give them up might be seen as contradictory.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was talking about the courts

Yes, under the current system. Although it seems that our court system may be a bit screwed up. Maybe they're just overwhelmed, overworked, and understaffed.

I would also imagine there's some degree of corruption, as is the case with any governmental agency. That's the likely reason for anything that might seem contradictory or two-faced.

King Phenomenon

Yes, under the current system. Although it seems that our court system may be a bit screwed up. Maybe they're just overwhelmed, overworked, and understaffed.

I would also imagine there's some degree of corruption, as is the case with any governmental agency. That's the likely reason for anything that might seem contradictory or two-faced.
We might be heading into 3 or possibly even 4 face territory at this point.

PureX

Veteran Member
Neither of those is logically contradictory. Individual forgiveness does not mean that we must ignore the necessary social consequence of criminal behavior. And personally believing that abortion is wrong does not logically require that we wish to force our beliefs on everyone else.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

For the most part I think of them as beliefs and individual rights.

I believe abortion to be wrong. A woman has the right to decide what happens to her body. The baby has no rights as it will be dependent upon the woman or state for 16+ years.

I believe suicide and Euthanasia wrong however I believe any sane adult has the right to die if the want.

I can forgive anyone for a crime but society has the right to try and correct so that they aren't effected.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I don’t see any of them as contradictory. Nuanced perhaps.
You can forgive someone, that doesn’t mean you have to literally ignore the legal justice system your society has in place. If I forgive I dunno, a pedo let’s say for the sake of argument, I’m not going to argue that the accused shouldn’t face due process, as per the laws of the land I live in. We’re not savages (apparently.)

If someone thinks abortion is wrong but still supports the pro choice movement, I’ll say that such a person understands the merit in minding ones own business.
I personally do not smoke or see tobacco as anything but lethal. But that is my own personal opinion. Other people (over the legal age of consent) have a right to choose for themselves if they wish to partake in smoking cigarettes. That is their right as adults in a society. Other people are not me, I can choose for myself and so allow others the same.