• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local Effort To Boycott Businesses Owned By Trump Supporters Brings Strong Response From GOP

Cooky

Veteran Member
What hypocrites, claiming All Trump supporters should be punished. Yet, not ALL Muslims are bad? Hypocrites.

Last edited by a moderator:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Too bad. We need to come together and discuss ideas without fear of repercussions. I think we'd find most folks are just looking for a little security in their lives.
This weekend, I'm dining with a friend...a Trump hating Democrat.
Boycott her? That's absurd.
We make differences interesting instead of hostile.
It's way more fun than retreating to an echo chamber fortress.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What hypocrites, claiming All Trump supporters should be punished. Yet, not ALL Muslims are bad? Hypocrites.
Would a boycott even be noticed...or change behavior?
I doubt it.
It just seems to be acting out without the intent of productive change.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I doubt it.

Yeah, exactly. I just feel like these liberal fascists are aiming to harm people like me in any way possible.

...Like terrorists do. Just on a smaller scale.

I think that's where they learned it from.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah, exactly. I just feel like these liberal zealots are aiming to harm people like me in any way possible.

...Like terrorists do. Just on a smaller scale.
About harm....
To not patronize businesses one ordinarily would means changing to another.
This might mean getting less desired products, less convenience, or higher
prices. The boycotters would also harm themselves to some extent.

Cooky

Veteran Member
About harm....
To not patronize businesses one ordinarily would means changing to another.
This might mean getting less desired products, less convenience, or higher
prices. The boycotters would also harm themselves to some extent.

Like a suicide bomber, it's worth it to them because it furthers the cause.

Cooky

Veteran Member
And these wackos would surely destroy the country if necessary to spread their crazy politics.

dianaiad

You can boycott any business anytime you choose.

You yourself can, certainly.

What is problematic is making the reasons for your boycott public, and encouraging others to join in.

THAT is why Oberlin College is having to pay Eleven MILLION dollars to the baker that their students decided to black list and boycott.

YOUR not going to a business? That's your privilege and your right. There are one or two businesses I won't go to...not because their owners have opinions I object to, but because they make their opinions a basic part of their business, and actively, blatantly, discriminate against those who do not agree with them.

Or....they actively and blatantly use their profits for purposes to which I object....and donating to political causes isn't one of those purposes. I'm not going to boycott a candy store that donates money to Biden, for instance. I MIGHT boycott that business if it puts OAC campaign posters up all over and refuses to serve conservatives....

But what the left is doing here is actively promoting the boycott of businesses that DO simply disagree with them; they publish names, and form protest groups, and actively seek to shut those businesses down.

And THAT, sooda, could get you sued, and quite rightly.

dianaiad

Because who they VOTE for..? That's nasty.

Be careful.

Some folks consider it to be free speech and perfectly acceptable to criticize anybody on the right....to tell them that they are nasty, hypocritical, immoral, stupid, silly...you insert any negative adjective you want. Doing so does not abrogate any rights that their targets may have.

However, if you criticize THEM....oh, my. You'd think a wall of bricks had fallen upon them. You should be extremely careful with the verbal aggression, there.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Local social media is abuzz over efforts in Pittsburgh to identify and boycott businesses owned by supporters of President Donald Trump.

“Look at what they’re trying to do. People who they just don’t agree with, they want to take and punish. I absolutely believe this is a fascist behavior, and I totally reject it,” says the GOP chairman.

DeMarco compares it to the Nazis drawing Stars of David on Jewish-owned businesses to urge Germans to boycott.

“I absolutely see a parallel. They’re trying to place a mark on a business to boycott it, to not frequent it, not to utilize it and try to make it unacceptable,” DeMarco says.

Local Effort To Boycott Businesses Owned By Trump Supporters Brings Strong Response From GOP

...Well, I agree with DeMarco, that this is a very fascist attitude. The left has become excessively 'clanny', and I think they're learning it from anti-American, leftists from around the world, whose goal is to actually destroy the United States from the inside out.

I would wonder how they can actually confirm if a business owner is a Trump supporter anyway. Even if they might have supported Trump in 2016, it doesn't mean they still support him today.

That aside, though, I don't really see a problem with this. People can choose to buy or not buy from anyone they choose. Conservatives could just as easily organize a boycott of Democratic supporters.

There's also the question of whether most people would have the stamina, backbone, and resolve to actually carry through with a boycott. One of the more unfortunate maladies facing this country is that too many people are spineless, allowing big business and big politics to manipulate them and walk all over them.

There's also a certain laziness factor. Someone might regularly buy widgets from a store 1/2 a mile from their home, but they learn "Oh no! The owner is a Trump supporter. Well, he won't get MY business!" But then the next closest store that sells widgets is 5 miles away. Is the average person truly going to make that much of an effort to avoid the closer widget shop for the one that's further away?

Do boycotts ever really work?

I remember when the Southern Baptist Convention tried to organize a big boycott of Disney (because it's so sinful and all), but that fizzled out before it even got started. People love Disney too much. They're addicted to that crap.

I have personally been boycotting Major League Baseball since 1994, the year they canceled the World Series because of a baseball strike. Nobody really ever cared, though. I see people continually lining up like helpless zombies, feeding their money to professional sports like some ravenous monster.

Most people just don't have the principles or sense of resolve to demand better from the Powers That Be in this country. That's part of the reason we ended up with Trump vs. Hillary in the last election. What a joke.

And now they want to organize a boycott? That's another joke.

But if they can pull it off and actually be successful, I will salute them. I'm expecting them to fail, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

dianaiad

I doubt it.

Noticed?

Oh, yes. It is noticed, especially by the folks who are directly harmed or targeted by one.

Will it change behavior?

Sometimes. It's called "extortion.' When one's family and livelihood is on the line, some will indeed bow to that sort of pressure. However, it must be remembered that "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

But if enough pressure is applied, one can change behavior. The problem is, THAT level of pressure is generally considered to be illegal....and if not that, certainly the target becomes an enemy.

For those whose very lives and businesses are not at stake, behavior might change there, too.....neutral businesses may well rebel and become active opponents. People become divided.

It's happening all over the country, frankly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Noticed?

Oh, yes. It is noticed, especially by the folks who are directly harmed or targeted by one.

Will it change behavior?

Sometimes. It's called "extortion.' When one's family and livelihood is on the line, some will indeed bow to that sort of pressure. However, it must be remembered that "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

But if enough pressure is applied, one can change behavior. The problem is, THAT level of pressure is generally considered to be illegal....and if not that, certainly the target becomes an enemy.

For those whose very lives and businesses are not at stake, behavior might change there, too.....neutral businesses may well rebel and become active opponents. People become divided.

It's happening all over the country, frankly.
The number of people so full of hate to participate in such a boycott
will likely be a small percentage. I predict no significant effect.

dianaiad

I would wonder how they can actually confirm if a business owner is a Trump supporter anyway. Even if they might have supported Trump in 2016, it doesn't mean they still support him today.

That aside, though, I don't really see a problem with this. People can choose to buy or not buy from anyone they choose. Conservatives could just as easily organize a boycott of Democratic supporters.

There's also the question of whether most people would have the stamina, backbone, and resolve to actually carry through with a boycott. One of the more unfortunate maladies facing this country is that too many people are spineless, allowing big business and big politics to manipulate them and walk all over them.

There's also a certain laziness factor. Someone might regularly buy widgets from a store 1/2 a mile from their home, but they learn "Oh no! The owner is a Trump supporter. Well, he won't get MY business!" But then the next closest store that sells widgets is 5 miles away. Is the average person truly going to make that much of an effort to avoid the closer widget shop for the one that's further away?

Only if they have to walk. Does anybody still have to do that?

Do boycotts ever really work?

Actually, I guess they do. If they didn't, that baker who sued Oberlin college...and won eleven million bucks...wouldn't have received that settlement. THAT particular boycott worked so well that the baker...who had been in business for a century...was nearly put OUT of business. Thanks to a boycott by students who claimed something about the baker that was simply not true.

It's called 'libel,' and that's illegal and actionable.

So...if you want to join a boycott (which by it's very definition is something that is effective only when done by a group) be VERY sure that the reason you join that boycott is factual.

As in....you can boycott someone for being a Republican, but if you do so because you claim s/he is RACIST, you'd better be able to prove that.[/quote][/QUOTE]

sooda

Veteran Member
You yourself can, certainly.

What is problematic is making the reasons for your boycott public, and encouraging others to join in.

THAT is why Oberlin College is having to pay Eleven MILLION dollars to the baker that their students decided to black list and boycott.

YOUR not going to a business? That's your privilege and your right. There are one or two businesses I won't go to...not because their owners have opinions I object to, but because they make their opinions a basic part of their business, and actively, blatantly, discriminate against those who do not agree with them.

Or....they actively and blatantly use their profits for purposes to which I object....and donating to political causes isn't one of those purposes. I'm not going to boycott a candy store that donates money to Biden, for instance. I MIGHT boycott that business if it puts OAC campaign posters up all over and refuses to serve conservatives....

But what the left is doing here is actively promoting the boycott of businesses that DO simply disagree with them; they publish names, and form protest groups, and actively seek to shut those businesses down.

And THAT, sooda, could get you sued, and quite rightly.

Nope.. I boycott Hobby Lobby and I can form a protest group.. That's my right as citizen.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Nope.. I boycott Hobby Lobby and I can form a protest group.. That's my right as citizen.

Of course you can, because of their employment policies and their treatment toward employees.

...But digging up people's voting preferences, and then persecuting an entire group seems like a really horrible idea.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Only if they have to walk. Does anybody still have to do that?

There are quite a number of people without cars or drivers licenses.

Actually, I guess they do. If they didn't, that baker who sued Oberlin college...and won eleven million bucks...wouldn't have received that settlement. THAT particular boycott worked so well that the baker...who had been in business for a century...was nearly put OUT of business. Thanks to a boycott by students who claimed something about the baker that was simply not true.

It's called 'libel,' and that's illegal and actionable.

So...if you want to join a boycott (which by it's very definition is something that is effective only when done by a group) be VERY sure that the reason you join that boycott is factual.

As in....you can boycott someone for being a Republican, but if you do so because you claim s/he is RACIST, you'd better be able to prove that.

It was the libel that caused the damage, although this seems to be a rare exception and not the general rule when it comes to boycotts. I don't know what other factors might have been in play here, but it seems incongruous to me that there would be some instantaneous knee-jerk reaction after only a single incident. If the administrators of the college goaded the students into it, then they should bear the responsibility. But it seems that there's something about this story that's missing. But since I don't really care much about Oberlin College or some baker in Ohio, I'm not really inclined to investigate further. The court has made its judgment, and I'll leave it at that.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I can't pass a law or force you, no. I wouldn't do that even if I could.

However, I CAN tell you what I think of those who do that. You know, criticize?

It's amazing how people feel like they can criticize MY beliefs and opinions, and then tell me that my freedoms are not being abrogated because criticism is a part of free speech....

But it's a whole 'nuther thing if it is THEIR ox being gored.

BTW, boycotting a business...and thus harming that business...because of perceived political bias does happen to have consequences.

You COULD end up getting sued, and losing a ton of money.

See: Oberlin College must pay a bakery $11 million in libel lawsuit, jurors say - CNN

Just, when you boycott someone, you are VERY certain that the accusations you make against that someone are true. Not just your opinion, but, y'know, fact.

'cuz if you don't, it's libel, and libel IS very much against the law.
There is a huge difference between a boycott and we'll organized libel. Did you even read the article that you linked?