• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local Effort To Boycott Businesses Owned By Trump Supporters Brings Strong Response From GOP

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It would be the last place you'd find many Republicans.

Too bad. We need to come together and discuss ideas without fear of repercussions. I think we'd find most folks are just looking for a little security in their lives.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The first is free speech...it does NOT damage businesses owned by people with whom they disagree....and the left loves the ability of corporations to donate to their campaigns, too.

Donate to a campaign? That candidate still has to go win votes.

Boycott a business because it disagrees with your own opinion? That is the OPPOSITE of free speech, and damages people on a very basic level. I thought the Democrats were FOR 'the little guy?" Or is it that they are only for the 'little guy' if that little guy knows the goose step and marches properly to the politically correct rhetoric.

You know what? I think it's a great idea to boycott Trump supporters. Call me what you want, but I believe it my right as an American to spend my money as I see fit -- and you have no standing to tell me I'm in the wrong for spending my money as I see fit.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Too bad. We need to come together and discuss ideas without fear of repercussions. I think we'd find most folks are just looking for a little security in their lives.

You have a right to your opinion, but I think we need to oust Trump and crush his allies in the next election -- not **** around discussing the weather at polite tea parties with the anti-American reactionaries who go by the name of "Republicans" these days.

74x12

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Local social media is abuzz over efforts in Pittsburgh to identify and boycott businesses owned by supporters of President Donald Trump.

“Look at what they’re trying to do. People who they just don’t agree with, they want to take and punish. I absolutely believe this is a fascist behavior, and I totally reject it,” says the GOP chairman.

DeMarco compares it to the Nazis drawing Stars of David on Jewish-owned businesses to urge Germans to boycott.

“I absolutely see a parallel. They’re trying to place a mark on a business to boycott it, to not frequent it, not to utilize it and try to make it unacceptable,” DeMarco says.

Local Effort To Boycott Businesses Owned By Trump Supporters Brings Strong Response From GOP

...Well, I agree with DeMarco, that this is a very fascist attitude. The left has become excessively 'clanny', and I think they're learning it from anti-American, leftists from around the world, whose goal is to actually destroy the United States from the inside out.
The political left wants total war with conservatives. Instead of going after politicians they are targeting voters. It will only cause retaliation and eventually maybe civil war.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The first is free speech...it does NOT damage businesses owned by people with whom they disagree....and the left loves the ability of corporations to donate to their campaigns, too.

Donate to a campaign? That candidate still has to go win votes.

Boycott a business because it disagrees with your own opinion? That is the OPPOSITE of free speech, and damages people on a very basic level. I thought the Democrats were FOR 'the little guy?" Or is it that they are only for the 'little guy' if that little guy knows the goose step and marches properly to the politically correct rhetoric?
Nope, still a version of free speech. You are not required to go to a Planned Parenthood for medical information. This would be just a group of people expressing their opinions economically. No one is forced to join the boycott.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You know what? I think it's a great idea to boycott Trump supporters. Call me what you want, but I believe it my right as an American to spend my money as I see fit -- and you have no standing to tell me I'm in the wrong for spending my money as I see fit.
I oppose this boycott for other reasons. Number one is that they have been historically ineffective. But it is hilarious to hear a group of right wingers break down due to a perceived threat. I wonder how many of them supported a Disney boycott due to Disney's stand on gay rights.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The political left wants total war with conservatives. Instead of going after politicians they are targeting voters. It will only cause retaliation and eventually maybe civil war.

The Left wants to start a war? Have you been living abroad? The Right went to war against the Left ages ago. The Left does not want to start a war. It wants to finish one.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I oppose this boycott for other reasons. Number one is that they have been historically ineffective. But it is hilarious to hear a group of right wingers break down due to a perceived threat. I wonder how many of them supported a Disney boycott due to Disney's stand on gay rights.

My information is that boycotts can be effective. Look at what boycotting advertisers on some Right wing media programs has done.

dianaiad

I can't pass a law or force you, no. I wouldn't do that even if I could.

However, I CAN tell you what I think of those who do that. You know, criticize?

It's amazing how people feel like they can criticize MY beliefs and opinions, and then tell me that my freedoms are not being abrogated because criticism is a part of free speech....

But it's a whole 'nuther thing if it is THEIR ox being gored.

BTW, boycotting a business...and thus harming that business...because of perceived political bias does happen to have consequences.

You COULD end up getting sued, and losing a ton of money.

See: Oberlin College must pay a bakery $11 million in libel lawsuit, jurors say - CNN

Just, when you boycott someone, you are VERY certain that the accusations you make against that someone are true. Not just your opinion, but, y'know, fact.

'cuz if you don't, it's libel, and libel IS very much against the law.

dianaiad

Nope, still a version of free speech. You are not required to go to a Planned Parenthood for medical information. This would be just a group of people expressing their opinions economically. No one is forced to join the boycott.

Y'know, you really need to read the posts to which you reply. Not doing so can make you look more than a little bit silly.

dianaiad

My information is that boycotts can be effective. Look at what boycotting advertisers on some Right wing media programs has done.

Yes. I am reminded most forcibly of the "McCarthy" era (very odd that it's called that, when Sen. McCarthy himself had nothing to do with the Hollywood black list, but, oh, well....) Isn't it amazing how the left, so very traumatized by that era, now repeats those tactics so efficiently, and with success?

Given that I know very personally what it is like to BE boycotted, to have my business destroyed and to be kicked out of a website (that really has nothing to do with politics, or shouldn't have) BECAUSE of my political opinions, even though I never expressed my political opinions on that website OR in my (admittedly very small and unprofitable) businss, I can tell you that all boycotting does, even if it seems to work short term, is to increase bitterness and opposition.

Conservatives are afraid of the liberals....and the liberals, with the boycotts and the threats and the physical attacks on innocent boys simply because they were wearing MAGA hats...are proving that there is every reason TO fear them.

Our freedom to think, to worship, to do business, to simply BE...is in grave danger. From the left.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Hell, I would not give the time of day to a Trump supporter, let alone buy from his or her business. Not until Trump supporters get some standards.

You paint with such a fat brush, Sunstone. So ALL Trump supporters deserve zero attention in conversation in your opinion... Because they ALL have no standards. What a horrible attitude.

...It just so happens I'm a Trump supporter. And I'll be voting for him again in 2020.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Yes. I am reminded most forcibly of the "McCarthy" era (very odd that it's called that, when Sen. McCarthy himself had nothing to do with the Hollywood black list, but, oh, well....) Isn't it amazing how the left, so very traumatized by that era, now repeats those tactics so efficiently, and with success?

Given that I know very personally what it is like to BE boycotted, to have my business destroyed and to be kicked out of a website (that really has nothing to do with politics, or shouldn't have) BECAUSE of my political opinions, even though I never expressed my political opinions on that website OR in my (admittedly very small and unprofitable) businss, I can tell you that all boycotting does, even if it seems to work short term, is to increase bitterness and opposition.

Conservatives are afraid of the liberals....and the liberals, with the boycotts and the threats and the physical attacks on innocent boys simply because they were wearing MAGA hats...are proving that there is every reason TO fear them.

Our freedom to think, to worship, to do business, to simply BE...is in grave danger. From the left.

And people thought I was unreasonable towards Muslims in the past.

Now I seem to be feeling the same way towards liberals the last few days. I certainly hope this trend changes, because they're acting VERY, VERY, Clanny -Just like fascists do.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

It may have been fear and final self awareness that did that. But for that you have a good point. If some of the Trump supporters were just a tiny bit more self aware we might not have this problem.

sooda

Veteran Member
I can't pass a law or force you, no. I wouldn't do that even if I could.

However, I CAN tell you what I think of those who do that. You know, criticize?

It's amazing how people feel like they can criticize MY beliefs and opinions, and then tell me that my freedoms are not being abrogated because criticism is a part of free speech....

But it's a whole 'nuther thing if it is THEIR ox being gored.

BTW, boycotting a business...and thus harming that business...because of perceived political bias does happen to have consequences.

You COULD end up getting sued, and losing a ton of money.

See: Oberlin College must pay a bakery $11 million in libel lawsuit, jurors say - CNN

Just, when you boycott someone, you are VERY certain that the accusations you make against that someone are true. Not just your opinion, but, y'know, fact.

'cuz if you don't, it's libel, and libel IS very much against the law.
You can boycott any business anytime you choose.