• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
"Reproduction"

As a species sure. But...

Does that mean the life of people without kids has no meaning?

I'd say procreation, survival until you can procreate, anything you can do to improve the chances of your offspring's survival.

Whatever you can do to support your species chances of survival has meaning as well, whether you yourself have offspring or not.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
"Reproduction"

As a species sure. But...

Does that mean the life of people without kids has no meaning?

Far from it.
But if you're looking for some sort of 'objective' meaning, survival of the species is one option.

Personally, I eschew the objective and think that subjective and personal 'meanings' are more important and impactful.

I also have three kids and spend a lot of my life focused on them, so...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Do you believe science will ever find the meaning to life? Do you think it is unattainable? Is there even a meaning to life?
Even if it did, the knowledge will eventually be lost with humanity.

I would think when the sun goes red giant if not sooner from another cause.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you believe science will ever find the meaning to life?

No. That is not part of the auspices of the discipline. One might as well ask if I believe if art will invent faster-than-light technology.

Do you think it is unattainable?

Of course it isn't. The meaning of life has been expressed and experienced routinely by humans.

Is there even a meaning to life?

To even be capable of asking the question already conveys the obvious answer.

Meaning is derived from asking questions and telling stories about the answers. Humans are fundamentally a storytelling and myth making animal. They cannot not do this. For humans, there can't not be meaning and story.

King Phenomenon

Do you believe science will ever find the meaning to life? Do you think it is unattainable? Is there even a meaning to life?
There is plenty meaning to life. I think the question is, do you think science will find out how we got here and where we’re going. I think the answer to that is no. Science may think it has the answer, but it has the wrong one imo.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There is plenty meaning to life. I think the question is, do you think science will find out how we got here and where we’re going. I think the answer to that is no. Science may think it has the answer, but it has the wrong one imo.

Whilst I'm sure we'd disagree on a LOT, I do agree that science isn't a tool that will get us definitive answers to why we are here, what is 'right', and how we gain meaning from life.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

There is no meaning to life. Except on the very small scale of reproduction and making the most of it for yourself.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Do you believe science will ever find the meaning to life?

No. That is not part of the auspices of the discipline. One might as well ask if I believe if art will invent faster-than-light technology.
^^^ This.
No. That's not the realm of science.
^^^ and here again.

If you want to find meaning, you'll have to use philosophy or religion.
And if you don't find meaning there, which is likely, you have to give it meaning yourself.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The central feature of the life of any living thing, humans included, is to live long enough to reproduce.

The interesting thing with humans is that with the development of the contraceptive pill in the 70s, reproduction for women has become optional, and feminism, while not opposing reproduction, is all about alternatives. Economics very commonly dictates that one child, if any, is enough. Not even the teachings of the Roman Catholic church has been able to withstand this new reality. (For example, we had three children, but they produced only two grandchildren.)

Against that background, the rest of the meaning of life is whatever you'd like to make of it.

I'd hope it would include treating others with decency, respect, inclusion and common sense, but that's just me.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Written about 3000 years ago:
Ecclesiastes 1:1 The words of the Teacher,[a] son of David, king in Jerusalem:

2 “Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.”
3 What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
4 Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.
5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.
6 The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.
7 All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.
8 All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
11 No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

And on and on it goes with glimmers of hope and advice along the way and concluding with a comment, possibly not from the same writer:
Ecclesiastes 12
13 Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the duty of all mankind.
14 For God will bring every deed into judgment,
including every hidden thing,
whether it is good or evil.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member