• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life From Dirt?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
If God is spirit and we cannot detect spirit or do not know if we have detected it or not, then not detecting does not mean that a spirit does not exist.
So prove somehow) that spirit does exist.
Unreasonable is when you contradict the rules of reason.
I can make a reasonable choice that God exists, reasonable meaning that it is possible given everything we know.
Possibility isn't a good enough standard. There are many things that are possible, but false.
Timelessness is something we probably have not experienced and so do not know what is possible.
So it is unreasonable to use it as a property of something you are trying to prove exists.
Change happens over time however, but that is viewing time as a some sort of length.
God is changeless and maybe God can just be. God is all knowing and so maybe God can just know. God is everywhere and so does not have to go anywhere.
If time is associated with this universe then time began when God started creating the universe.
Again, this is all hypotheticals assuming that a God exists. Why should one even believe that to be the case? These are exactly the type of 'just so' stories that make the existence *less* likely.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
So are you saying that rational choice does not happen, everything we do is just happens automatically when a rational balance inside us tips in a certain direction?
Yes. That is how belief works, at least if you actually investigate the matter.
Or is this just something that happens with belief in God/s?
No, it is pretty much the case with all beliefs.
And if it happens with you then it might happen with believers also, who may just have more evidence on the pro side because they see things as evidence that you do not see as evidence.
That is certainly one possibility. Or they may believe because that is what they were taught and they never really looked into the alternatives (which is what I have often found to be the case).

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Not believing in something just because we do not see it is not reasonable.
If there were absolutely no evidence you might have a point but there is evidence with you just need to deny.
I see a lot of people that *claim* there is evidence, but when it comes to actually producing it, they never do. Usually, what they offer is irrleevant to demonstrating existence.
I suppose you don't defer a decision if you automatically fall one way or the other when the evidence is there or not.

And belief in something I have evidence for is reasonable.

So now we are in the situation of figuring out what is and what is not evidence for a God. Would you care to give an example?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Faith is faith and what you see is because of your concept of evidence and wanting people to convince you with your concept of evidence.
But no doubt some people start to feel that you and other skeptics must be right and that they are inferior if they have a belief in God.

From what I can see, faith is irresponsible: it is a dereliction of the duty to think through things.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not a scientismist.
He asked, "What empirical, objective evidence do you have, that we could all perceive?" Is that your way of answering that you have no such evidence to produce?
I guess someone has told you that and you believe it.
He wrote, "Lack of belief in the not-objectively-evidenced is the epitome of reason." He has described the fundamental tenet of skepticism - no idea should be believed without justification by valid reasoning applied to relevant evidence. I can't think of an idea that has done more to improve the human condition than that one. It was the downfall of kings, priests, and charlatans everywhere.

Skepticism converted alchemy into chemistry, astrology into astronomy, and creationism into Big bang cosmology and the theory of biological evolution - three sterile, faith-based systems of thought into modern science, which has made life longer, more functional (eyeglasses), safer (vaccines), easier (machines), more comfortable (air conditioning), and more interesting (travel, communication).

So yes, somebody told all of us about this idea, and we have come to believe in its power based in its brilliant success in transforming life.
Believing something does not exist because we cannot see it is unreasonable.
Yes, but that's not what skeptics do.

This seems to be an impossible idea to conceive for many believers posting on RF - the difference between unbelief (not believing) and disbelief (believing not). I have yet to read one such poster, following an aha moment, write, "OK, now I see what you mean. There's a position that is neither believing something is true nor believing it is false called 'I don't know,' but I never saw that before today."
If God is spirit and we cannot detect spirit or do not know if we have detected it or not, then not detecting does not mean that a spirit does not exist.
Agreed. But unless it impacts our reality in some manner, its possible existence is irrelevant. Unless the idea is needed to explain some observable phenomenon, which is what detectable means, it has no utility. It explains and predicts nothing. Such ideas should be discarded, not accumulated. No god belief has any value except in those who find comfort there. For those comfortable without a god belief or a religion, the idea is useless, and for some, notwithstanding Pascal and his wager, costly.
Unreasonable is when you contradict the rules of reason. I can make a reasonable choice that God exists, reasonable meaning that it is possible given everything we know.
Your rules of reason are not those of academia and philosophy and do contradict the rules of reason. It is not reasonable by that system of reckoning to believe anything on the basis of something not being known to be impossible.
belief in something I have evidence for is reasonable.
Not if the belief isn't a sound conclusion derived from that evidence using the rules of reasoning (inference). People use the word reasonable to mean that some belief feels right to them, but that's not what a logician means by reason.
it's detectable to those it communicates with and who listen and talk back, and this would be the same with other spirits also.
I don't doubt that people have experiences that they interpret as communicating with spirits, but I have no reason to believe that they are correct and a very good one to think that they aren't. I was fooled that way once myself, misunderstanding what was later revealed to be the euphoria generated by a charismatic initial preacher following my conversion to Christianity in the early seventies, which I understood as the Holy Spirit. I left this congregation following discharge from the Army, returned to California, and tried about a half-dozen lifeless congregations, which was the evidence I needed to see that there was no Holy Spirit involved, who would have followed me to California - just a gifted religious orator.

Now, I understand others telling me that gods speak to them to be experiencing something created by their brains and misunderstood as a received, external voice.
no doubt some people start to feel that you and other skeptics must be right and that they are inferior if they have a belief in God.
Not inferior people, but rather, people relying on an inferior method for deciding what is true about the world. I went through that myself when I rejected faith, meaning considered it an inferior epistemology, and returned to skepticism and empiricism. I doubted my faith-based beliefs and considered the skeptics, to whose ranks I had just returned, correct.

Faith isn't a path to truth. It's a path to unjustified belief, which are guesses and thus rarely the truth as judged by empirical standards (correlation theory of truth, verificationism).

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The value judgement is one from skepticism, which does not like religious faith and sees it as inferior to whatever faith the skeptic claims to have.
We can have it both ways, and do, but skeptics are the ones who say we don't.
Faith is unevidenced or poorly evidenced belief. It's truth value is nil.
Skeptics generally don't claim to have faith, religious or otherwise. A skeptic, by definition, wants evidence before she believes.

Have it both ways? You can have evidence based knowledge, or unevidenced faith. Without evidence, how do you differentiate truth from fiction?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Q: How does one distinguish a real, unevidenced thing from a nonexistent thing?
A: One can't. Their truth-values are identical. They're epistemically valueless.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Faith is faith and what you see is because of your concept of evidence and wanting people to convince you with your concept of evidence.
But no doubt some people start to feel that you and other skeptics must be right and that they are inferior if they have a belief in God.
Faith is not rational. Faith is the excuse that people use when they lack good evidence. We were discussing a rational belief and now you have just admitted that your beliefs are irrational.

RestlessSoul

Faith is unevidenced or poorly evidenced belief. It's truth value is nil.
Skeptics generally don't claim to have faith, religious or otherwise. A skeptic, by definition, wants evidence before she believes.

Have it both ways? You can have evidence based knowledge, or unevidenced faith. Without evidence, how do you differentiate truth from fiction?

That’s not what faith is. Those of us who know it’s value would no more do without it than we would do without food or water.

Astrophile

You raise an interesting point about the way the Big Bang theory is frequently portrayed. A lot of descriptions of that seem to talk loosely about "energy" at the start, without saying the energy of what. I suspect the problem is that physics eventually breaks down if one extrapolates far enough back, so our notions of subatomic particles, radiation and fields become indistinct. Our ability to calculate energy and extrapolate that probably exceeds our ability to define what that energy was the energy of!

As for supernovae I think that's far more straightforward. The physics - or cosmology - problem is to explain how elements beyond iron in the Periodic Table came to be produced. As iron cobalt and nickel have the most stable nuclei of all the elements, the fusion that goes on in stars would be expected eventually to generate the elements up to them but no further.

View attachment 76920

So, how to explain how heavier nuclei were produced? There are reasons to think that supernovae create a very high neutron flux. This can lead to nuclei such as iron picking up a lot of extra neutrons through the bombardment they experience, and that some of these neutrons turn into protons, by emitting β-particles (fast-moving electrons) before these highly unstable, neutron-rich nuclei have time to disintegrate again. So that way, heavier elements are produced even though they are less intrinsically stable than iron, as shown by the stability curve above.

By the way, it is the fact uranium is less stable than lighter elements that allows us to exploit its higher energy in nuclear power stations. You break it up, generating daughter nuclei that are more stable (further to the left, towards iron, Fe, on the curve), and the surplus energy is available to raise steam for a turbine.
It is now thought that the heaviest elements are produced by mergers between neutron stars rather than by supernovae.