• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

lies of the clergy, or just disbelief,cause for leaving churches

lies from the clergy. or just disbelief in the religious ideas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Is it the lies or the untrustworthiness of the clergy, or just disbelief in religious ideas, that is making people leave the churches?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is it the lies or the untrustworthiness of the clergy, or just disbelief in religious ideas, that is making people leave the churches?

From my experience on- and offline, I see people leave churches because they seen their pastor done something with the woman in the forth pew, a priest of millions, who molested children, the preacher on the right who uses tithes for gambling, and the priest to the left who literally tells you point blank "you are going to hell" if you dont do X, Y, or Z (real experience). So, yes, I can see why the clergy would be involved with people leaving the Church.

It shouldn't be for that reason. Priest and pastors are not God. So, I don't see the logistics in leaving a religion based on what clergy do.

The second part, people who leave for good usually do so for the latter reason, the religious ideas. They find "they have been lied to all this time," or "I found out what I belieived was fantasy" or "I tried to believe but I cant" or revelation to the effect of "I realized there is no God" to the more extreme "I hate god therefore there is none."

So, they leave. Very sad reason to leave.

Basically, there are a plethora reasons why people leave churches. Personally, I believe if someone leaves a church (a religion) it should be because those believes dont resgonate with that person. The clergy, buildings, money, etc should have nothing to do with ones spiritual growth.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It's the dogma.
and that insistence to nod the head for acceptance is why I gave up religion.

and can you trust people in robes that insist on head nodding?
I don't think so.
the church (like many other orgs.) has agendas.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think people today just need a 'New Age' of thinking. The old western theological concepts aren't going to cut it anymore. It's the evolution of thought.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think people are asking more intelligent questions that religion cannot answer, in other words they are become more intelligent, the old ways must move on for the new ways, for the old ways have had their turn and haven't done much at all, its time to grow up people.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Only two options? The motives and reasons for changes in religious affiliation are far more complex than that. Particularly since not all religions have... churches. This is a much better analysis, though it still has its limitations:

http://www.pewforum.org/2009/04/27/faith-in-flux/

1-5.gif

Basically, clergy is a pretty minor factor compared to others.

Milton Platt

Only two options? The motives and reasons for changes in religious affiliation are far more complex than that. Particularly since not all religions have... churches. This is a much better analysis, though it still has its limitations:

http://www.pewforum.org/2009/04/27/faith-in-flux/

1-5.gif

Basically, clergy is a pretty minor factor compared to others.

Interesting chart. It was unfortunate that they did not ask a few more questions. Of the first catagory, which was the largest, it would have been nice to hear the "why". After all, many if not most of those in the other catagories could also fit into the first catagory as well.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting chart. It was unfortunate that they did not ask a few more questions. Of the first catagory, which was the largest, it would have been nice to hear the "why". After all, many if not most of those in the other catagories could also fit into the first catagory as well.

There are doubtless similar studies available, both by PEW and in the academic literature. It would take me time to dig them up, however. Each study has its own particular limitations, and it is important to bear those in mind. To really get at why people change religions, one needs to do a more in-depth survey targeting specific sub-groups, rather than try to lump things all in together. Or best of all, just ask individual people instead of generalizing to a population, given that religion is a very personal thing.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
For me it was lies of religious leaders that led me to sit back and reflect on the likelihood of the Christian God existing. From there I moved on to atheism.

I think people come to church with a preconceived idea as to how the church will operate or how things will be. When those expectations are not met, people become disillusioned, therefore they leave the church.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'd say a large part plays with advances in science and new findings and discoveries that impacts established beliefs and dogmas, not to mention the clash of progressive thinking and traditional practices over the years. A lot of people would be understandably jaded toward what they once thought was true and accurate.