• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberty

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
we call it patriotism here.

Nationalism is a European word, and yet, we hear left wing Americans talking about it all the time because the American left is literally in bed with Europe, and is all about everything European.

Are so its i matter of semantics, its still nationalism, national pride, you ate a nation, call it whatever makes you feel better, it makes no difference the the end result

Cooky

Veteran Member
Honestly, they both leave kind of a yucky ring in my ears.

But that's just my opinion.

that's because we're all the products of our experiences and the Europeans have been infiltrating our politics with their talking points.

I bet you didn't hate patriotism when you were a kid and they threw candy at the 4th of July parades... Since then, the European attitude has had much influence on the American left.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
that's because we're all the products of our experiences and the Europeans have been infiltrating our politics with their talking points.

I bet you didn't hate patriotism when you were a kid and they threw candy at the 4th of July parades... Since then, the European attitude has had much influence on the American left.
I'm guessing you've never actually been to Europe, or know absolutely anything about European culture or history. Or even your own history at this point.

Like...literally the 4th of July is a celebration of Americans deciding British patriotism wasn't worth the bad governance of British politics. It established a rejection of patriotism and the formation of a new nation *looking to avoid excess patriotism.*

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I bet you didn't hate patriotism when you were a kid and they threw candy at the 4th of July parades...

I think I stopped caring about the 4th of July once I realized it was all political. Little kids don't, no, they're just there for the candy.

You could throw candy in celebration of stinky farts, and the kids would still gather 'round. Candy's candy.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I'm guessing you've never actually been to Europe, or know absolutely anything about European culture or history. Or even your own history at this point.

Like...literally the 4th of July is a celebration of Americans deciding British patriotism wasn't worth the bad governance of British politics. It established a rejection of patriotism and the formation of a new nation LOOKING TO AVOID EXCESS PATRIOTISM.

Yet Independence day became a day of celebration almost immediately afterwards. It was never a sad day, it was always happy.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
What censorship? Say whatever you want (i certainly do) but hold responsibility for your words. If those words offend then man up to the consequences
So you're suggesting that being offended justifies violence? Is that a rational and proportionate way to deal with anger? People have a right to believe and say stupid things, likewise others have the right to rebuke and refute it. Words vs. words. The answer is education and discourse, not silence and censorship. Placing a limit on speech sets a dangerous precedent.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yet Independence day became a day of celebration almost immediately afterwards. It was never a sad day, it was always happy.
Who treats it like a sad day? It's a good reminder that people criticizing a country's foibles being labeled 'unpatriotic' would better spend their time changing things for the better than worrying about whether the old guard consider it unpatriotic to do so.

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” -George Washington

Cooky

Veteran Member
I think I stopped caring about the 4th of July once I realized it was all political. Little kids don't, no, they're just there for the candy.

You could throw candy in celebration of stinky farts, and the kids would still gather 'round. Candy's candy.

I love the 4th of July. picnics, burgers, red, white and blue.... FIREWORKS..?

It's fun. It doesn't mean we hate other countries, it just means we're on our own, and happy to be. :)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I love the 4th of July. picnics, burgers, red, white and blue.... FIREWORKS..?

It's fun. It doesn't mean we hate other countries, it just means we're on our own, and happy to be. :)

Its not quite my thing, but I think its great that you(and others) enjoy it. :)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
My wife makes strawberry shortcake with blueberries. I do the burgers. :)

I make strawberry shortcake whenever I feel like it! No holiday required. Though no burgers... we're a vegetarian family.

Thinking of baking a cake this evening, actually.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Me too. Im thinking he has found another hobby horse he doesn't understand and is running with it.

Goodnight

hobby horse... That's a European toy. here in America, we have fully rechargeable electric toy jeeps. :D

jk, jk.....

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
What censorship? Say whatever you want (i certainly do) but hold responsibility for your words. If those words offend then man up to the consequences
Do you know that this sounds like?

"If you dress provocatively and get sexually harrassed or assaulted, then own up to the consequences."

But you would never say that, would you?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I make strawberry shortcake whenever I feel like it! No holiday required. Though no burgers... we're a vegetarian family.

Thinking of baking a cake this evening, actually.

I love vegan food. there was a place in Laguna Beach I used to go to called The Stand that sold these sandwiches with beans and sprouts. Really good.