• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberty

Cooky

Veteran Member
Why the straw man? Responsibility only needs one reason, care for other human beings.

Show me with science how what you say is true. If you can't, then it's just an opinion. But I have offered a scientific background as to why people think different and can't really be held "responsible" for what they say... And that's because we do not have free will.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
If people want to take the moral pathway over science, because Muslims whine and cry about their poor prophet being humiliated as a child molester, or because he is considered by historians to be a savage war monger, then please rethink it, and keep your morality to yourself and maintain secularism through the separation of church and state.

If you want to say some language is "mean", then provide the scientific theory that proves it, otherwise keep your morality it out of law.

What we punish is violence. Not blasphemy. That’s secularism. get it straigjt.

You never answered the question i posed early for some reason,

Do you think a rapist is should be responsible for any rape they committed?

So the think a pedophile should be responsible for their abuse of children

Do you think a murderer should be responsible for any murders they commit?

Then why do you think you should not be responsible for speaking hate speech likely to incite violence?

Cooky

Veteran Member
You never answered the question i posed early for some reason,

Do you think a rapist is should be responsible for any rape they committed?

So the think a pedophile should be responsible for their abuse of children

Do you think a murderer should be responsible for any murders they commit?

Then why do you think you should not be responsible for speaking hate speech likely to incite violence?

no, no, no, and no.

...Mental illnesses that cause murder are not any more controllable than one's sexuality. Do you think a homosexual can choose to be straight? No, not unless there is a chemical change that takes place in the brain. Same goes for many other variations and irregular behaviors of the human mind.

What we *can't* do, is be mad at these people. That's pure stupidity at the highest level. They're only acting according to their chemistry, and why should we hate someone for acting according to their chemistry? They can't help it. Would you hate a bear the same way if it mauled your grandmother as you would a Catholic priest who raped and killed your grandmother? would you hate a car that malfunctioned and drove your grandmother off a cliff? Would you stab or shoot that car with a gun because you hate it so much? Would you send the car to jail?

Please start watching at the 4:00 mark when you get time. It's important.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
no, no, no, and no.

...Mental illnesses that cause murder are not any more controllable than one's sexuality. Do you think a homosexual can choose to be straight? No, not unless there is a chemical change that takes place in the brain. Same goes for many other variations and irregular behaviors of the human mind.

What we *can't* do, is be mad at these people. That's pure stupidity at the highest level. They're only acting according to their chemistry, and why should we hate someone for acting according to their chemistry? They can't help it. Would you hate a bear the same way if it mauled your grandmother as you would a Catholic priest who raped and killed your grandmother? would you hate a car that malfunctioned and drove your grandmother off a cliff? Would you stab or shoot that car with a gun because you hate it so much? Would you send the car to jail?

Please start watching at the 4:00 mark when you get time. It's important.

Sounds hypocritical to me, you must be responsible for actions that you dont like but not responsible for actions you do like

Cooky

Veteran Member
Sounds hypocritical to me, you must be responsible for actions that you dont like but not responsible for actions you do like

Responsibility is not a trait, it's just an abstract concept that describes an idea... We do what we do, because of our chemistry... If we don't, then we don't because of our chemistry. There is nothing else.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Responsibility is not a trait, it's just an abstract concept that describes an idea... We do what we do, because of our chemistry... If we don't, then we don't because of our chemistry. There is nothing else.

I never took chemistry.

I think I'm probably more motivated by delicious food.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So does hate speech. And can cause as much harm
"Hate speech" is ignorant, irrational, and hurtful, but to say it's equivalent to rape and murder is melodramatic hyperbole. That, and taking the Orwellian avenue of locking people up for mere thoughts, feelings, and words is far, far more dangerous and destructive.

Free speech is sacred to me, and I consider the notion of abolishing it to be offensive. So how do you plan to "take responsibility" for that? Or does what I consider to be sacred or offensive not matter and thus the whole thing is arbitrary bull****?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Why, i am adult and take responsibility for my actions. What stance do you want me to take? Childish irresponsibility? No thanks
Would you consider those who are openly gay "childish and irresponsible" for offending homophobes (who might react violently)? Should the law as you say "make them take responsibility" by criminalizing it?

Of course not, So why the discrepancy?

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

It is a concept that helped build humanity but even after thousanda of years there are still throw backs who would rather blame the other guy than accept responsibility for their own mouth

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
"Hate speech" is ignorant, irrational, and hurtful, but to say it's equivalent to rape and murder is melodramatic hyperbole. That, and taking the Orwellian avenue of locking people up for mere thoughts, feelings, and words is far, far more dangerous and destructive.

Free speech is sacred to me, and I consider the notion of abolishing it to be offensive. So how do you plan to "take responsibility" for that? Or does what I consider to be sacred or offensive not matter and thus the whole thing is arbitrary bull****?

Your view is noted but people still die or suffer mental anguish because of it.

As i have said several times now, say what the **** you want, just accept responsibility for the words that come out of your mouth

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Would you consider those who are openly gay "childish and irresponsible" for offending homophobes (who might react violently)? Should the law as you say "make them take responsibility" by criminalizing it?

Of course not, So why the discrepancy?

Give up with the straw men already

As i have said before, jeez this is getting repetitive, the one committing the violence is responsible for that violence