• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Libertarian Feminism

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You can see it however you like, but the fact remains that I can't be free to do as I please and still respect the equal rights of those around me. I have to sacrifice some degree of my liberty to accommodate their right to be free of me. A free and equal society requires sacrifice. And everyone claims they believe in a free and equal society until that society demands that they sacrifice for the sake of the rights of their fellow citizens. Then they suddenly want everyone else to accommodate their liberty, without doing the same in return. And they hide this selfishness behind some imagined superior righteousness. They think everyone else should accommodate them because they are right and everyone else is wrong, and therefor should be forced to comply. Self-righteousness becomes the excuse for their desire to ignore and abuse the rights and freedom of everyone else.
It's easy to sacrifice something you didn't want to begin with. Anyone can do that.
We each have our perspective.
What is it that you'd like to do, which would conflict with libertarian values?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This. Anything short of full-blown embracement of identifying as a feminist with no caveats or deferment to other labels essentially means a person shouldn't post in the feminist-only section.
Is this staff or Debater Slayer personally speaking?
Assuming the latter, then we may discuss it openly.

To call the prefix, "libertarian", a "caveat" seems accusatory.
When other feminists use prefixes like "sex positive" & "3rd wave", I notice no accusations of mischief.
To call it a "deferment" is unclear...the word seems inapplicable.

Some questions to understand your perspective.....
Would you advocate making this approach writ large?
If so, then a "left libertarian" would be prohibited from the "Libertarian Only" forum.
I think that giving our leftish brethren & sistern the boot would address a problem
which doesn't exist, & make the forum less interesting.

Do you think libertarian feminism is not feminism?
Please explain.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
We each have our perspective.
What is it that you'd like to do, which would conflict with libertarian values?
I am a feminist and a libertarian. There are several flavors of both feminists and libertarians, some of which are in agreement with each other, and some that are at odds with each other. Some flavors of libertarians are at odds with each other on some issues, just as some flavors of feminism are at odds with each other on some issues.

One can get all general and say they are the same on the surface, but once you get into specifics, you can have a clash of ideologies.

One area for examination in this regard: human sex trafficking.

A libertarian might advocate for free and open prostitution among consenting adults, and drop it at that. However, a feminist would be alarmed by the fact that legalized prostitution businesses is one of those things that has a counter-intuitive affect: it increases the demand for the darker, more illicit forms of prostitution within that area. (Customers want more once they get a taste of it.) Areas that have legal prostitution also have a higher rate of illicit sex trafficking in the area to compensate for the increased demand for the darker forms of prostitution.

A libertarian might argue that this is none of their business. A feminist human rights advocate would seek to expose the increased human trafficking and the reasons behind it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am a feminist and a libertarian. There are several flavors of both feminists and libertarians, some of which are in agreement with each other, and some that are at odds with each other. Some flavors of libertarians are at odds with each other on some issues, just as some flavors of feminism are at odds with each other on some issues.

One can get all general and say they are the same on the surface, but once you get into specifics, you can have a clash of ideologies.

One area for examination in this regard: human sex trafficking.

A libertarian might advocate for free and open prostitution among consenting adults, and drop it at that. However, a feminist would be alarmed by the fact that legalized prostitution businesses is one of those things that has a counter-intuitive affect: it increases the demand for the darker, more illicit forms of prostitution within that area. (Customers want more once they get a taste of it.) Areas that have legal prostitution also have a higher rate of illicit sex trafficking in the area to compensate for the increased demand for the darker forms of prostitution.

A libertarian might argue that this is none of their business. A feminist human rights advocate would seek to expose the increased human trafficking and the reasons behind it.
And of course, a libertarian might argue that regulation is appropriate when there is great
risk that one party might harm another to an extent that compensation cannot make the
injured party whole. This would address safety concerns. Libertarianism isn't necessarily
about having no governmental regulation....but would at least favor ditching regulation
which lacks sufficient benefit.

From a libertarian perspective, some feminists would have anti-feminist goals, eg, placing
greater limits on bodily autonomy. So I say that looking at some extreme interpretations
of a label's members shouldn't justify prohibiting all within from the holding of values consistent
with the fundamentals of feminism. Extremists can foment lively but still civil conversation.

Last edited: