• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberal response to Jeremiah 1:5

SinSaber

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's a verse that says life begins in the womb

Please show the reasoning you used to reach that conclusion.

Include in your dissertation a response to the counter-argument that the verse refers to God's foreknowledge of future events, and thus does not necessitate any conclusion that life begins in the womb.

Sign your work with your RF ID number and submit it by no later than 11:59 AM, RF time, on the date of your choice. Please staple a g-string to your submission in order to ensure immediate attention.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
It's a verse that says life begins in the womb
To me all it's talking about is foreknowledge. God foreknows everything. God knows who will live and who will die. God permits that babies die. Babies die. Why go on a crusade for it?

Psalm 139 doesn't say that life begins at conception either, it says that God works in conception. It doesn't say life begins there.

SinSaber

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you" That means his soul was ready to enter the body formed inside the womb. If it has a soul its alove

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you" That means his soul was ready to enter the body formed inside the womb. If it has a soul its alove
Well, that sort of limits God's foreknowledge to only when he creates something. Right?

SinSaber

To me all it's talking about is foreknowledge. God foreknows everything. God knows who will live and who will die. God permits that babies die. Babies die. Why go on a crusade for it?

Psalm 139 doesn't say that life begins at conception either, it says that God works in conception. It doesn't say life begins there.

God is life. There fore all his works are of life.

SinSaber

It's widely accpeted that God is omnipresent and omnipotent. He knows all that is going to happen. You were just saying his own foreknowledge

Super Universe

Defender of God
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you." This means that God knows every soul before it connects with a sentient being. He knows the unique personality traits that it has but, like an infant, the souls need experience to develop into Sentient Universal Beings.

"Before you were born (on the earth) I set you apart." This means that the soul is a fragment of God. I set you apart from Myself.

"I annointed you as a prophet to the nations." This means that certain humans, in this case Jeremiah, have information to convey to others about the true nature of God and the universe.

David1967

Premium Member

Do you think this hints that we existed in spirit form before our conception? That would be interesting.

Magus

Were-ever 'nations' appear in the Bible, that is gowy they are referring to the area around Greece
and it's really says '

' I ordained thee a Nabi from Greece '

'Nabi' as in the prefix of Nebuchadnezzar whom toppled
the Persian colony city of Tyre

Nebuchadnezzar is a code-name for Alexander the Great whom freeds
the people from Persian oppression

(M) LK (NB) KDNSR
(M) LK (NB) SNDRS
LKSNDRS
220px-Name_of_Alexander_the_Great_in_Hieroglyphs_circa_330_BCE.jpg

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you." This means that God knows every soul before it connects with a sentient being. He knows the unique personality traits that it has but, like an infant, the souls need experience to develop into Sentient Universal Beings.

"Before you were born (on the earth) I set you apart." This means that the soul is a fragment of God. I set you apart from Myself.

"I annointed you as a prophet to the nations." This means that certain humans, in this case Jeremiah, have information to convey to others about the true nature of God and the universe.
Or
"before I formed you I knew you" implies God had a clear concept of the kind of person He wants to make before forming that person in the womb... just as an artist has a clear concept of the figure he wants to make before starting to work on the marble block. No preexisting soul is meant. Neither is there any hint that a person fully exists at conception. The idea of "forming" shows that the entire span of the womb is needed to create the person.

"before you were born I set you apart".. Here God is claiming that He has specifically designed the future destiny of this person to be specially elevated from other humans.

The last section shows that this elevation is occurring in the role of Prophet that God is set as the destiny of the person.

Thus you are refuted.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It would also mean that god has planned out everything for us, and knows ahead of time if a fetus will be born or if for one of many different reasons it won't. It seems to imply that life doesn't begin in the womb, but rather beginning only for those gametes that god has already decided will fully develop as a fetus and be born.

Last edited: