• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[LHP only] What is left hand path?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
LIFE is the natural mechanism for going against the flow of Nature, at least on planet Earth. {At least in my opinion based upon my observations.} Your mileage may vary.

Also true, and the mind just adds to that. Aquino would actually agree that life itself is unnatural, but I'm not so sure I could get on board.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Also true, and the mind just adds to that. Aquino would actually agree that life itself is unnatural, but I'm not so sure I could get on board.
I'm not sure he would say that, perhaps more along the lines that our physical being is natural but our Isolate Intelligence is not natural (not part of the objective universe)

Premium Member
I'm not sure he would say that, perhaps more along the lines that our physical being is natural but our Isolate Intelligence is not natural (not part of the objective universe)

I definitely have a source attributing the belief that life is unnatural to Aquino. I will try and find it :)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Life definitely finds a way to adapt to nature, find a way around the way natural courses run, and turn natural things contrary to how things would go without the presence of life.

Premium Member
Life definitely finds a way to adapt to nature, find a way around the way natural courses run, and turn natural things contrary to how things would go without the presence of life.

You might be convincing me to agree with Aquino on the life thing...

Premium Member

From Lords of the Left Hand Path, while explaining Aquino's secrets of life and death II, Flowers explains:

" The “scientific” argument for the authenticity of the Book of Coming Forth by Night hinges upon the notion that the consciousness is conceptually a violation of nature. The Wewelsburg Working goes one step further and asserts that life is conceptually contrary to nature. At first this assertion seems outrageous; after all there is quite a bit of life going on “in nature” as we see it on Earth. But have we found evidence of any life anywhere else? We have not; and the odds against life (as we understand it) evolving in any given part of the cosmos are billions and billions to one. Even on Earth, life is a delicate, temporary phenomenon which will cease altogether in another 500 million years."

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
From Lords of the Left Hand Path, while explaining Aquino's secrets of life and death II, Flowers explains:

" The “scientific” argument for the authenticity of the Book of Coming Forth by Night hinges upon the notion that the consciousness is conceptually a violation of nature. The Wewelsburg Working goes one step further and asserts that life is conceptually contrary to nature. At first this assertion seems outrageous; after all there is quite a bit of life going on “in nature” as we see it on Earth. But have we found evidence of any life anywhere else? We have not; and the odds against life (as we understand it) evolving in any given part of the cosmos are billions and billions to one. Even on Earth, life is a delicate, temporary phenomenon which will cease altogether in another 500 million years."
Good catch, I was lumping together Life with just the physical aspect. I agree in this light

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
Lords of the left hand path is an interesting book, what caught my interest in the book was the mention of the temple of set. I have always had an interest with the setian philosophy.

Premium Member
Lords of the left hand path is an interesting book, what caught my interest in the book was the mention of the temple of set. I have always had an interest with the setian philosophy.

It's definitely the best path I've found for myself. You should check out Don Webb's books if you're interested.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
It's definitely the best path I've found for myself. You should check out Don Webb's books if you're interested.

I had the chance to read the 7 faces of darkness by him. It's an okay book in my opinion, but I found uncle setknakts a bit more exciting and energetic.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Okay, I was gonna quote some posts but it's too many so I'll just summerize my thoughts.

I think that @Satans_Serrated_Edge really nailed part of it. @Saint Frankenstein touched on a similar thing but I think I really need to expand a little bit on what was said about "eastern" and "western" LHP.

Firstly, the LHP idea of individualization towards the point of deification is not unique. My own religion has been doing this for over 1,000 years and is Left Hand Path.

I think the confusion is coming from trying to apply the idea of the LHP to orthodox schools like Samkhya . But LHP is heterodox, and nothing about the nonduality implies that the mind is totally destroyed. In Kashmir Shaivism your mind is regenerated into the universal consciousness as a discrete but united personality along with all other enlightened folk. I don't think that @Satans_Serrated_Edge was contradicting himself/herself by speaking of tradition and heterodoxy, as the two are not mutually exclusive but can go hand in hand with many esoteric systems.

A couple of branches of Kashmir Shaivism actually have the heart/mind as the vessel towards this nondual unity (it's not monisitic but it isn't dual, being beyond even the monisitic-dual duality) and sees nothing as impure or pure but by perception. I would think this is closer to what maybe some of you conceptualize the Left Hand Path as. Anyways as Frank said Brahman isn't a hive mind. In at least what I practice, you are still you and your higher self, your atman as it's called in Vendanta and some other schools... was really a god all along. The main difference is that these schools of thought don't subscribe to the dualism of being separated. Again as @Saint Frankenstein said you can't really separate yourself from the Cosmos because it defines all that exists... and in these philosophies god/brahman/self is identified with all of existence. And you can't really separate yourself from yourself.

Also as three last notes, the soul isn't a Hindu concept, the closest thing you will get is atman but that means 'self' not soul. Also life is very natural... it's a result of natural laws just the same as the stars are. @Saint Frankenstein's definition of supernatural as existing outside of the natural world is essentially my same view and why I reject ideas of supernaturalism. Humans don't have any quality that makes us any better than anything else. We might be better with abstract concepts like math and with making tools but that doesn't make us any wiser or better. Actually some other apes have been observed using basic math skills in making bridges out of logs and using sticks to measure water depth. It's rudimentary mind you but it shows that other species could likewise evolve to do what we do now.

Laugh all you want, you FINALLY acknowledged that the paths are unrelated, that's a huge step forward. Now the problem is you can't be ELHP either because of your obsession with tradition, but one step at a time.
ROFL. Second post in a row to give me a real life chuckle. Thank you :)

I would explain why it's funny but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't read it anyway.

Kapalika

Premium Member
What LHP school do you claim Mandi?

Advaita Vedanta?

Vendanta is pretty orthodox from what I understand.

I personally practice Kashmir Shaivism. I'm not totally sure which specific school I fall in most, Krama and Kula both look really attractive to me but I don't consider myself greatly educated in all aspects of Kashmir Shaivism particularly since I only recently came back to it after a few years of exploring the more orthodox religions of Hinduism and not practicing for the most part during that time.

If I was forced to say I am probably closest to Kula in my beliefs and approach, but even then not really since I'm solitary (even though I don't want to be). But each sect of Kashmir Shaivism as I understand it is kind of like a different approach to the same idea. Some of those sects have the Left Hand Path approach such as Kula / Kaula.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashmir_Shaivism

Premium Member
On this topic, I just read "The Invention of Satanism" by Dyrenel, Lewis, and Petersen (2015). It's an awesome look into the creation of the WLHP starting in 1966 and half the book contains fascinating statistical data from practicing satanists, based on multiple surveys spanning a decade. Definitely worth the read!

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
That's not an argument. Obviously if it exists in nature, it's natural. There's no evidence that humans are endowed with some sort of supernatural abilities.

This is not true and "supernatural" is an incorrect word. The laws of nature never question themselves, humans do, however, and the only species on this planet that has ever shown its ability on a profound level for abstract thought and invention are humans. These are aspects of our non-natural "nature".

Last edited: