• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lewisnotmiller's 'Watch out what you ask, I might just tell you...' thread

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
This is a tough one to answer because there is a degree of stereotyping involved, or focusing on certain aspects of a religion and ignoring others.

I like aspects of Judaism though, in terms of the scholarship, and room for...umm...robust discussions.

I like the diversity which lies beneath an umbrella like Hinduism.

I like some Christians, and feel like their religion helps them be better people. It's a minority to be honest, but that reminds me that the impacts of religion can be nuanced. It's also the predominant religion in Australia, which has a culture of irreligiousness, secularism and cultural Christianity. But I do find myself thankful for the fact that it was under a broadly Christian country that this was able to flourish if that makes sense??

I dislike fundamentalism.
Very interesting. Makes sense to me. Sounds like progress. I grew up with fundamentalism and it was no picnic.

What aspects of Judaism do you like?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
@lewisnotmiller I've not read all the questions or answers here so i hope this hasn't been asked before. And plans for more children or is your tribe big enough now

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's something I say to my daughter from time to time. Make sure you think through your question, because I'll give you the answer. Are you sure you want it though???

Ask away. Nothing is off limits, and I promise to be honest. And flawed. Mostly flawed, let's face it.
Is it really true that you opened a
dingo farm next to a maternity ward?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
@lewisnotmiller I've not read all the questions or answers here so i hope this hasn't been asked before. And plans for more children or is your tribe big enough now
Ha!!

Definitely no more.

Had two beautiful daughters in my early to mid 30s, and it took some effort (at least for the first one...second one happened pretty easily).

And in my mid 40s we had the happiest accident you could have. Our third daughter is an awesome bundle of joy, but...
We got lucky. My wife is now almost 46, and the risks go up.

So I have had the snip.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Very interesting. Makes sense to me. Sounds like progress. I grew up with fundamentalism and it was no picnic.

What aspects of Judaism do you like?

Well, like I said, the scholarly aspects and the room for debate and discussion.
Whilst I'm not a believer, I am a student of history, and the impact of Judaism and the subsequent monotheistic religions born from the region are undeniable.

Whilst I find other ancient Middle Eastern religions interesting, they are not living religions in the way Judaism is. There are lessons to be learnt from any tradition that can survive and adapt over a period of time like that.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Ha!!

Definitely no more.

Had two beautiful daughters in my early to mid 30s, and it took some effort (at least for the first one...second one happened pretty easily).

And in my mid 40s we had the happiest accident you could have. Our third daughter is an awesome bundle of joy, but...
We got lucky. My wife is now almost 46, and the risks go up.

So I have had the snip.

Interesting. I thought i was late, last one in my late 30s, enough is enough eh?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. I thought i was late, last one in my late 30s, enough is enough eh?
Just not a fair risk to put on my wife (in particular) and whilst we love our girls, having three plus our jobs, etc, keeps us more than busy. At some point it's a little selfish to spread yourself too thin.

Not suggesting people having more than three are selfish...just suggesting that each child you have requires more and more consideration, planning and sacrifice of some things in order to commit properly to the job of raising them. And I think it's really important for parents to commit to that job. I'm kinda old-fashioned...lol

ChristineM

Premium Member
Just not a fair risk to put on my wife (in particular) and whilst we love our girls, having three plus our jobs, etc, keeps us more than busy. At some point it's a little selfish to spread yourself too thin.

Not suggesting people having more than three are selfish...just suggesting that each child you have requires more and more consideration, planning and sacrifice of some things in order to commit properly to the job of raising them. And I think it's really important for parents to commit to that job. I'm kinda old-fashioned...lol

Winner frube, I'm with you 100%

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard your toilets flush backwards.

Does this mean you need to use dyslexic plumbers?

And also since you guys are on the bottom of the world and always upside down, how do you deal with the blood rushing to your head constantly? Is that why you all talk funny?

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard your toilets flush backwards.
Well...that's in the eye of the beholder, of course. But actually it's an urban myth.

Does this mean you need to use dyslexic plumbers?
Have you met many Australians? The dyslexic plumbers are the high achievers. At least they have a clear reason for their challenges with the written word.

And also since you guys are on the bottom of the world and always upside down, how do you deal with the blood rushing to your head constantly? Is that why you all talk funny?
If American is the gold standard of not talking funny...which I kinda doubt...you'll be pleased to know that decades of increasingly insidious exposure to American accents through our media consumption is slooooooowly impacting on our language. We sound less funny than we used to.