• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letter of Defection

Antiochian

Rationalist
As a former member of a couple of different Christian churches, I've decided to write notices of formal defection and mail them into the organization headquarters (the bishops in this case).

I've moved beyond those faiths now, and want to make my choice to unaffiliate and the reasons for doing such known, even if the letters have no administrative or official impact on my records with the denominations. It's just something I feel I should do. (And yes, the Roman Catholic Church is one of the denominations in question, and I'm aware they no longer believe you can ever leave the Church once you've been in it-- :facepalm: )

What are your thoughts on this? Does it matter if a religion you have now left and no longer agree with maintains your name in its registry? Has anyone gone through a formal defection process with the Catholic church or another religion, and what was your experience?

Antiochian

Rationalist
I have no delusions that my letters are going to change anything, or have any lasting impact beyond occupying the readers' attention for a few short minutes.

I see it as a therapeutic act that will mostly benefit myself.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I have no delusions that my letters are going to change anything, or have any lasting impact beyond occupying the readers' attention for a few short minutes.

I see it as a therapeutic act that will mostly benefit myself.
Very healthy. I wish you the best. :)

Huh....

I never really considered it. I'm probably still officially a member of the church I grew up in. I would definitely not send them one of these letters, because they would likely send me a letter trying to invite me back and/or ask me a lot of gently prying questions to try to at least reconvert me. However, my family left the church when I was like...13. We never formally left, we just stopped attending because we moved. Though...I do seem to remember them having a policy of removing people from the registry whom they hadn't seen/heard from in, like, 4 years. I'm not sure if that's accurate, but I seem to remember hearing this when I was asking about someone who used to attend the church no longer being in the registry. This was an ARP (Associate Reformed Presbyterian) church, though, not a Catholic one.

In your case, why would you consider it a therapeutic act?
You seem pretty convinced that the Catholic church won't want to allow you to remove yourself, as they view it impossible for someone to actually do that. (Is it similar to the 'Once a Christian, always a Christian' view?) If that's the case, then why bother trying? It sounds like the only likely outcome would be for them to cause you some trouble by refusing to remove you.

Just thoughts.

P-G

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Ah, I see what you're doing. Very clever. I do this with things like credit cards all the time. I threaten to leave to see what additional things they'll give me if I stay. Very shrewd.

I was baptised but never confirmed (Or whatever the CoE version of that is) so while on the Church of Englands books I'm not down as a 'proper' member but I've heard that some people have requested that there names be taken off the CoE lists and been refused on the grounds that they are official records.

In response someone started distrubting de-baptism certificates although this was more to do with atheism than simply being disenchanted with organised religion. Personally I've had it said to me that I'm a member of CoE by virtue of having been baptised (as a baby) and having CoE parents which is daft and apparantly given you face palm you agree.

Antiochian

Rationalist
Huh....

I never really considered it. I'm probably still officially a member of the church I grew up in. I would definitely not send them one of these letters, because they would likely send me a letter trying to invite me back and/or ask me a lot of gently prying questions to try to at least reconvert me. However, my family left the church when I was like...13. We never formally left, we just stopped attending because we moved. Though...I do seem to remember them having a policy of removing people from the registry whom they hadn't seen/heard from in, like, 4 years. I'm not sure if that's accurate, but I seem to remember hearing this when I was asking about someone who used to attend the church no longer being in the registry. This was an ARP (Associate Reformed Presbyterian) church, though, not a Catholic one.

In your case, why would you consider it a therapeutic act?
You seem pretty convinced that the Catholic church won't want to allow you to remove yourself, as they view it impossible for someone to actually do that. (Is it similar to the 'Once a Christian, always a Christian' view?) If that's the case, then why bother trying? It sounds like the only likely outcome would be for them to cause you some trouble by refusing to remove you.

Just thoughts.

P-G

I guess it's kind of like writing a letter to a long-dead abusive parent in order to get some things off your chest you've held bottled up for years. It won't change that you still carry the person's DNA or that said person influenced your life at one point in time. It won't mean anything to the addressee who's been molding in a pine box for ten years, but there's still some therapeutic benefit to be derived from the act of writing the letter. Does that make any sense?

I simply want to take the opportunity to speak my mind to a representative of these former churches, and to declare in writing my rejection of those religions to said representatives. If anything, they'll know where I stand, even if my name is forever in their registry. Then, I will simply move on with my life.

Leaving the Catholic Church no longer possible

And again, I don't know much about how other churches or religions handle these sorts of things. I'd imagine most U.S. Protestant churches would simply strike your name from their membership if you verbally or in writing denied their faith, and call it a day. Some will do so even if you fail to attend services or give money for a certain period of time.

Antiochian

Rationalist
I was baptised but never confirmed (Or whatever the CoE version of that is) so while on the Church of Englands books I'm not down as a 'proper' member but I've heard that some people have requested that there names be taken off the CoE lists and been refused on the grounds that they are official records.

In response someone started distrubting de-baptism certificates although this was more to do with atheism than simply being disenchanted with organised religion. Personally I've had it said to me that I'm a member of CoE by virtue of having been baptised (as a baby) and having CoE parents which is daft and apparantly given you face palm you agree.

I can understand keeping baptismal records for whatever purpose, but to at least acknowledge in the record that the person no longer practices that religion.

Why a church would insist on continuing to count as members those who no longer consider themselves adherents of that faith is just strange.

A priest of the Episcopal church, America's branch of the CoE, told me that once you're baptized, they consider you a Christian for life, no matter how your religious beliefs alter later in life. I mentally laughed, then shrugged.

My parents probably bought me a bag of candy and a toy at Fred's Grocery Store at some point in my childhood, too. Does that make me a lifelong preferred customer, regardless of whether I continue to shop there??

Regardless of what effect my letters have, those religious bodies will not receive a dime of financial support from me again for as long as I am alive and breathing.

I guess it's kind of like writing a letter to a long-dead abusive parent in order to get some things off your chest you've held bottled up for years. It won't change that you still carry the person's DNA or that said person influenced your life at one point in time. It won't mean anything to the addressee who's been molding in a pine box for ten years, but there's still some therapeutic benefit to be derived from the act of writing the letter. Does that make any sense?

Yes, it does. Thanks for clarifying. :)

And again, I don't know much about how other churches or religions handle these sorts of things. I'd imagine most U.S. Protestant churches would simply strike your name from their membership if you verbally or in writing denied their faith, and call it a day. Some will do so even if you fail to attend services or give money for a certain period of time.

You're probably right about that.

& the "once baptized you're a Christian for life" thing sounds awfully similar to the "once saved, always saved" thing that I've heard a lot from the Christians that I know. I've literally heard my closest Christian friend try to verbally rationalize for herself that the reason I'm no longer a Christian is because I never truly was in the first place. :shrug:

Anyway, I hope you gain the results that you're hoping for.

P-G

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

Just thoughts.

P-G

The Roman Catholic Church would not "cause anyone some trouble" if they received a letter like this. How do you think they would possibly cause someone trouble???:sarcastic

I say if it makes you feel better, send the letters. They will most likely be passed around the church office, and then filed in File 13.

blackout

Violet.
The letter is a statement in document form,
as is their baptismal record.

Since they are a record keeping orgainzation
I see nothing wrong at all
with a formal documentation of your defection.

I would keep it short and formal though,
in keeping with their own documentations.

Last edited:
How do you think they would possibly cause someone trouble???:sarcastic

You seem pretty convinced that the Catholic church won't want to allow you to remove yourself, as they view it impossible for someone to actually do that. If that's the case, then why bother trying? It sounds like the only likely outcome would be for them to cause you some trouble by refusing to remove you.

My initial understanding was that Antiochian was wanting to be have his membership removed, instead of sending the letters for closure regardless of the outcome. I could see this becoming a fight of sorts with the church if he was adamant about having his name removed.

P-G

blackout

Violet.

I simply want to take the opportunity to speak my mind to a representative of these former churches, and to declare in writing my rejection of those religions to said representatives. If anything, they'll know where I stand, even if my name is forever in their registry. Then, I will simply move on with my life.

Leaving the Catholic Church no longer possible

They have absolutely no power over you
that you don't GIVE THEM.

At first it infuriated me that they would be so arrogant.
But now it just looks like a
"we have the last word" baby game.

More seriously though,
it can be a psychological noose around the neck
of those who are weaker.
It really is a manipulative mind game
they are playing.
Their final "we own you" hand.
*yawns*

Of course nobody "Owns" you,
unless you "Give Up" Your Self,
and allow them to 'alter you'
(at the foot of their altar).

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As a former member of a couple of different Christian churches, I've decided to write notices of formal defection and mail them into the organization headquarters (the bishops in this case).

I've moved beyond those faiths now, and want to make my choice to unaffiliate and the reasons for doing such known, even if the letters have no administrative or official impact on my records with the denominations. It's just something I feel I should do. (And yes, the Roman Catholic Church is one of the denominations in question, and I'm aware they no longer believe you can ever leave the Church once you've been in it-- :facepalm: )
If you find it helpful, then send the letters.

I wouldn't get to too bound up in trying to get removed from anything, though. It's largely meaningless. I wouldn't particularly recommend doing anything further after sending the letters.

What are your thoughts on this? Does it matter if a religion you have now left and no longer agree with maintains your name in its registry? Has anyone gone through a formal defection process with the Catholic church or another religion, and what was your experience?
No, it doesn't matter to me. I'm probably on some list somewhere. It's none of my concern.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I think its an excellent idea to make clarity within yourself. I sent you a PM with some sample letters. i know others who have done it. Expect some fire from some places, but that's a good thing. After you meet with a catholic priest, if you do, then go try to take communion. Its his duty to refuse it to you.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Why on earth would you recommend that a person who specifically denounces the Catholic faith go try to take communion? Wow, talk about inflammatory and rude. What would be the point other than to cause trouble?

By the way, I doubt very seriously that ANYONE gives him any flak about sending a letter revoking membership in a church or religious organization. I know that's probably dissappointing to those who are intentionally provocative, but it's the truth.