• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's start at the beginning? maybe?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

YoursTrue

Modern species of fish are different from the species of fish that existed during the Mesozoic era, and Mesozoic fish were different from Palaeozoic fish. Palaeozoic species of fish evolved into Mesozoic species of fish, and they evolved into Cenozoic species of fish, including those living today.
Sorry, when I said righto, I was going back to my younger years if I would reply to something I found confusing. No use explaining that about fish to me right now but thanks anyway.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I believe I understand the theory as much as possible for a beginner. Meaning that the theory is that there is one or more starts of life from something that happened on the earth, and these things replicated and eventually evolved to become plants and animals.

As a description of evolution 101, this description is missing the most important aspects. I also see a common misunderstanding in your description.
Evolution theory does not in fact say "things evolved". In fact, that things evolved (ie: species share ancestors and life changes over time) are part of the set of facts that evolution theory explains.

Evolution theory (today at least) is not in fact the assertion that species share ancestors. That species share ancestors is a genetic fact. A fact that requires an explanation.

Evolution theory is a model that addresses the mechanism of evolution.
And that mechanism in a simplistic nutshell is:
- reproduce with inheritable variation (mutation)
- survive (natural selection)
- repeat

If tomorrow, this mechanism is shown to be false and / or inadequate... the facts of genetics still exist. They would still require an explanation. Species sharing ancestors would still be a genetic fact.

Astrophile

ok, well it all was supposed to have started from the "Big Bang," right? And just what is the Big Bang? One website describes it as: "he Big Bang was the moment 13.8 billion years ago when the universe began as a tiny, dense, fireball that exploded. Most astronomers use the Big Bang theory to explain how the universe began. But what caused this explosion in the first place is still a mystery."
Here's my question about that. Why 13.8 billion years ago and not a trillion years ago? Also why 13.8 billion years and not 14 billion years. Or 12 billion, give or take a few.
What is the Big Bang Theory?
Briefly, the age of the universe follows from measurements by WMAP and Planck of the power spectrum of the anisotropy of the cosmic microwave background and the Lambda Cold Dark Matter cosmology. The age of 13.8 billion years is also consistent with measurements of the Hubble constant (the ratio of the redshift of galaxies to their distance) and with the time-scale of the evolution of the oldest known stars.

YoursTrue

Briefly, the age of the universe follows from measurements by WMAP and Planck of the power spectrum of the anisotropy of the cosmic microwave background and the Lambda Cold Dark Matter cosmology. The age of 13.8 billion years is also consistent with measurements of the Hubble constant (the ratio of the redshift of galaxies to their distance) and with the time-scale of the evolution of the oldest known stars.
And so what did the big bang supposedly consist of?

Pogo

I believe I understand the theory as much as possible for a beginner. Meaning that the theory is that there is one or more starts of life from something that happened on the earth, and these things replicated and eventually evolved to become plants and animals.
Ir is the reality too, but the real point is that however these starts may have been, the follow up is evolution.

YoursTrue

I don't know. However, the fact that I don't know doesn't mean that nobody else does, or that the evidence that the universe is 13.8 billion years old is invalid.
You think a scientist or a group of scientists might know what the 'substance' was that exploded? :)

YoursTrue

Ir is the reality too, but the real point is that however these starts may have been, the follow up is evolution.
Sorry, from my discussions and explorations of what scientists say about the theory, I have put it way out in the proposition. I understand the premise but from what I have researched the facts just aren't in order. Except in imagination.

Daemon Sophic

Please don't digress into other areas of scientific discussion. @YoursTrue - this thread of yours was supposed to be about evolution. Evolution has nothing to do with "The Big Bang Theory", or even discussion of how we know that an older, larger star was the predecessor of Sol (our Sun).
This was supposed to be about the evolution of life here on little ol' Earth.
Dial it back. The rest is a distraction.

YoursTrue

Please don't digress into other areas of scientific discussion. @YoursTrue - this thread of yours was supposed to be about evolution. Evolution has nothing to do with "The Big Bang Theory", or even discussion of how we know that an older, larger star was the predecessor of Sol (our Sun).
This was supposed to be about the evolution of life here on little ol' Earth.
Dial it back. The rest is a distraction.
I see. Sometimes I get off-track. So what do you consider is the "beginning" of -- evolution.

YoursTrue

^^^ This. For our purposes in this thread (Evolution 101) we could go ahead and say, Once some single-cell organisms existed on Earth. :)
Little if anything is known about that but thanks anyway. Maybe I'm wrong and scientists know a lot about it. What do you think?

Daemon Sophic

There’s a LOT known of microbiological flora and fauna. And we can see evolutionary changes in populations of such microorganisms occurring all around us.
If you’re thinkping of “fossil evidence“ of ancient microbiota, then there’s still literal piles of stuff that guide us. Nothing like fossilized bones, beaks, and footprints; but more along the lines of massive colonies of microorganisms, much like reefs being built up in modern times, with billions of organisms growing together to make large structures, which have survived in the rock sediments after many hundreds of millions of years, showing these colonies (and the algae, bacteria, etc…inside) who built them. :)

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Someone here said we ARE fish because it is guaranteed by some scientists that is so. So ok, you think you're a fish and an ape, and you think possibly that I'm a fish and an ape. Have a good one. Oh, and also bacteria. (OK) (What about dust?)
Okay, so you're not really trying to understand anything here, are you?
You're just here to repeat the same exact lines you've been spouting since Day One.
That's disappointing.

siti

Someone here said we ARE fish because it is guaranteed by some scientists that is so. So ok, you think you're a fish and an ape, and you think possibly that I'm a fish and an ape. Have a good one. Oh, and also bacteria. (OK) (What about dust?)
I said that but was it in this thread? Anyway, like it or not, you are a fish and an ape...and why not bacteria...my several billion times great grandfather was a bacterium...

...and we most certainly are at least partly bacteria to this day...latest estimates about 38 trillion of them inhabit the ecosystem that is the average 70kg human ape-fish body...there are more bacteria cells in your body than human ones - though their combined weight is only about 200g.

I know - it's shocking - but don't worry...they have already gotten quite used to you...and it's even more amazing to think that not only are they all really, really there...but they're also all your distant cousins...talk about extended family...and boy, have they moved in and made themselves at home...turns out, they even decide what you're having to eat...unless your bacterial in-laws overrule them of course.

And dust? Yep...you guessed it...we're that too...star dust to be precise...and from more than one star...but that's stretching the evolutionary process way back beyond the beginnings of biology.

But it is a grand view...this scientific explanation of where we come from...for me every bit as simultaneously uplifting and humbling as any religious creation myth...and just as poetic in its own objectively realist way...can I get an amen to that (as they say)?

YoursTrue

I said that but was it in this thread? Anyway, like it or not, you are a fish and an ape...and why not bacteria...my several billion times great grandfather was a bacterium...

...and we most certainly are at least partly bacteria to this day...latest estimates about 38 trillion of them inhabit the ecosystem that is the average 70kg human ape-fish body...there are more bacteria cells in your body than human ones - though their combined weight is only about 200g.

I know - it's shocking - but don't worry...they have already gotten quite used to you...and it's even more amazing to think that not only are they all really, really there...but they're also all your distant cousins...talk about extended family...and boy, have they moved in and made themselves at home...turns out, they even decide what you're having to eat...unless your bacterial in-laws overrule them of course.

And dust? Yep...you guessed it...we're that too...star dust to be precise...and from more than one star...but that's stretching the evolutionary process way back beyond the beginnings of biology.

But it is a grand view...this scientific explanation of where we come from...for me every bit as simultaneously uplifting and humbling as any religious creation myth...and just as poetic in its own objectively realist way...can I get an amen to that (as they say)?
Ok. Dust to dust.