• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Open Our Minds To The Truth

lunamoth

Will to love
I've lost track. Has Ben told us yet what the Truth is? What I never understand is that if there is a secret knowledge passed from master to student, why doesn't someone just spill it so we all know?

Christianity is a 'gnostic' religion, but the knowledge is not secret: it's all out there in the open.

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
My point is very simple. If I wished to joke about things, then I would go to an appropriate web-site. It is quite obvious about your profile info. However, Jayism might well be a term for a legitimate religion that I have not heard of - IT IS NOT AN OBVIOUS JOKE! (e.g. JAINISM).

But, I suppose, little things please little minds.

Peace & Love to you.

Jainism is an obvious joke? I'm sure the Jains will find that comment de-lightful.

Anyway, about humour - Jesus was a joker. Camel through the eye of a needle? What an absolutely cracker of a pun!

As for your original post - friend, if you are one of the many people who claims to have exclusive purchase on the "Truth", then you'll have to get in line. It's getting quite big now, it's almost gotten out of the gates of heaven. I'm sitting up on a hill with some mystics watching you guys, putting bets on how long you'll wait before you realise the really important lesson. You've got pretty good odds.

In all seriousness, when people start talking about the Truth, my hackles raise. When people worry more about being right than about the welfare of their fellow man, that is when we get the Spanish Inquistion. And contrary to popular belief, those bozos are to be expected.

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
I've lost track. Has Ben told us yet what the Truth is? What I never understand is that if there is a secret knowledge passed from master to student, why doesn't someone just spill it so we all know?

Christianity is a 'gnostic' religion, but the knowledge is not secret: it's all out there in the open.

Hey luna, want to join us on our hill? We have tea...

Booko

Deviled Hen

Yes, it really is terrible of God to provide us with so few living Masters so that the bulk of humanity (possibly 4+ billion -1) have a chance to experience the True Spirit.

It sounds about as loving as the God that tosses most people into an Eternal BBQ.

As I understand it, the Spirit is available to everyone. Whether one chooses to pay attention to it is a matter of choice.

But exclusive and elitist...no.

lunamoth

Will to love
As I understand it, the Spirit is available to everyone. Whether one chooses to pay attention to it is a matter of choice.

But exclusive and elitist...no.

That's the way I understand it too. Frubals Sister Chicken!

(PS, where is the Double Secret Choodianst meeting tonight?)

lunamoth

Will to love
*pours luna a nice cup of earl grey*

It's great to be back! It looks like I came back just in time to enjoy the show :rolleyes:

Oh, you just missed the real fire and brimstone we went through not too long ago. But, there's always a good conversation and stimulating company somewhere about.

Thanks for the tea!

Booko

Deviled Hen
In all seriousness, when people start talking about the Truth, my hackles raise. When people worry more about being right than about the welfare of their fellow man, that is when we get the Spanish Inquistion. And contrary to popular belief, those bozos are to be expected.

But we talk about The Truth all the time, as he's a mod. :D

In a more serious vein, it seems there's a reason why pretty much every religion teaches the importance of humility. And yup, those bozos are always to be expected. It doesn't seem to matter what religion, eventually they seem to turn up.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

In a more serious vein, it seems there's a reason why pretty much every religion teaches the importance of humility. And yup, those bozos are always to be expected. It doesn't seem to matter what religion, eventually they seem to turn up.

It's kind of funny actually, as those types seem to have the same sort of blind hypocrisy I described in the thread about atheists: they're so sure that they have the absolute truth and make no bones about telling you, but are quick to criticize anyone else who does the same thing and doesn't believe like them.

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
Oh, you just missed the real fire and brimstone we went through not too long ago. But, there's always a good conversation and stimulating company somewhere about.

Thanks for the tea!

You're welcome ^^

Oh really? I'll go look for that, nothing like the smell of Brimstone in the middle of the night :D

Hehe ^^

As for the bozos, what is it about us religious people? Do we have a sign outside saying "power-hungry abusers wanted?" jeez. :cover:

Booko

Deviled Hen
*pours luna a nice cup of earl grey*

It's great to be back! It looks like I came back just in time to enjoy the show :rolleyes:

There's always a show somewhere, Elvendon. I'm glad to see you back!

Would you like some butter cookies? *passes plate*

Booko

Deviled Hen
Oh really? I'll go look for that, nothing like the smell of Brimstone in the middle of the night :D

Yes, along with napalm in the morning. :eek:

As for the bozos, what is it about us religious people? Do we have a sign outside saying "power-hungry abusers wanted?" jeez. :cover:

Basically. Look if you were a really evil person, what better place to hang out than in a church? It can make you look more respectable than you actually are and let's face it, religion is a huge motivating force in life, and that makes it ripe for abuse.

Nukes are ripe for abuse too, but we don't generally blame all physicists because someone decided to build them.

For some odd reason, if some theists go off their nut, it's the fault of us all.

Very logical...

...not.

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
:sarcastic
There's always a show somewhere, Elvendon. I'm glad to see you back!

Would you like some butter cookies? *passes plate*

Glad to be with you guys again! Been away far too long :)

Thank you for the cookie *takes one and nibbles*

Tea?

Yes, along with napalm in the morning. :eek:

I went and had a look. Satan? Tsunamis not evil? Mighty odd stuff...

Basically. Look if you were a really evil person, what better place to hang out than in a church? It can make you look more respectable than you actually are and let's face it, religion is a huge motivating force in life, and that makes it ripe for abuse.

Nukes are ripe for abuse too, but we don't generally blame all physicists because someone decided to build them.

For some odd reason, if some theists go off their nut, it's the fault of us all.

Very logical...

...not.

Ugh tell me about it. If there is one species of man that is more numerous at my university than evangelical jobs like our friend here, then its the atheists who are convinced that you can dismiss religious because of the acts of the few. How tiresome

I missed this place :beach:

Booko

Deviled Hen
:sarcastic

Glad to be with you guys again! Been away far too long :)

Thank you for the cookie *takes one and nibbles*

Tea?

Yes, please! Earl Grey is my favorite too. :)

Ugh tell me about it. If there is one species of man that is more numerous at my university than evangelical jobs like our friend here, then its the atheists who are convinced that you can dismiss religious because of the acts of the few. How tiresome

Oh my, are suggesting academia may be origin of a new pandemic?

Well, it could be so, though in my experience the Humanities department manages to put out prose that at least has the appearance of intelligence.

FatMan

My point is very simple. If I wished to joke about things, then I would go to an appropriate web-site. It is quite obvious about your profile info. However, Jayism might well be a term for a legitimate religion that I have not heard of - IT IS NOT AN OBVIOUS JOKE! (e.g. JAINISM).

But, I suppose, little things please little minds.

Peace & Love to you.

What a completely useless condescending tone.

Religion is a description of beliefs. It can be practiced by millions or just one individual. "Legitimate" is wholly subjective. I might worship the apple. Afterall, it has been written about in several ancient works. It may be the key to a happy childhood because it keeps the teacher happy and the dentist as well. And I believe that making a pilgrimage to The Big Apple will enlighten me to the eternal truth that is out there.

You may not have heard of this Appleism belief, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist to somebody, especially my Granny Smith.

Why don't you tone down "The Truth" crap and the soapbox routine. It is beyond tiresome.