• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Open Our Minds To The Truth

A. Ben-Shema

With the present situation of religious hatred literally exploding across the world, and religious terror organizations emerging on every continent, perhaps now the time has finally arrived for us to examine, expose and eliminate the many false beliefs and erroneous traditions which have accumulated in all the world’s religions. Various elements of ‘Truth’ can still be found amongst the teachings and beliefs of most religions, but sadly, no religion represents or reveals the whole Truth. The ‘ultimate’ (Spiritual) Truth, by definition, is singular. The fact that there are so many religions, each split into numerous ‘sects’, ‘creeds’ and ‘parties’, indicates that very many (all?) sincere and dedicated ‘believers’ must therefore be somewhat misguided!

In order to discover the truth of any matter one must observe all the available evidence in an unbiased way. However, every human being is indoctrinated and prejudiced since early childhood by various ethnic ideologies and customs, which include various forms and degrees of religious, political and social traditions and dogmas. For instance, those who are raised in a Muslim environment are just as likely to believe in the uniquely perfect truth of Islam, as are those brought up under Christian influences likely to claim for Christianity.[1] It should therefore be clear that no fervent member of any religious group is in a position to make a realistic and unbiased observation of the facts. Only genuine, sincere and open-minded seekers will have any chance of discovering the whole Truth.

One example of the dogmatic errors and plain ignorance displayed by so-called orthodox religions is the case of Galileo, who was threatened with torture and excommunication by the supposed Christian Inquisition unless he “repented” of his “errors and heresies,” namely his theory that the Earth was not at the centre of the universe. This was not even a theological issue! Today this story seems almost unbelievable – practically prehistoric – but it happened only a few short centuries ago. This is by no means an isolated case; countless thousands have been murdered throughout history at the bloody hands of various self-righteous orthodoxies for similar ‘heretical’ crimes.

Once again, it must be emphasized that it is absolutely essential to have an open mind if one genuinely desires to know the Truth. To stubbornly cling to traditional ‘beliefs’ and arrogantly ignore all further facts and revelations is exactly what many Jews did at the time of Jesus (e.g. the scribes (= religious scholars); the Sadducees (= aristocratic, authoritarian, materialistic, priestly, literalists); and the Pharisees (= popular, self-righteous, conservative theologians / philosophers) – who are all so much criticized in the pages of the New Testament. The problem with all these types – then, as today – is their stubborn arrogance and pride. It is reported that Jesus said, “unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven.” (MATT.18:3). In other words, anyone wishing to understand the Truth must first cleanse their mind of all indoctrinated religious beliefs, pride, and prejudice, and be completely open and ready to listen and learn afresh, like little children.
------
Footnotes:

[1] This religious phenomenon of dogmatically claiming unique superiority (e.g. the ‘chosen’ status) is similar to that immature tendency of children who claim that their own father / mother / family is superior to others; or the adult susceptibility to nationalistic pride (i.e. patriotism) and racial prejudice.
------

Quoted from the introduction to my book.

Peace & Love :)

FatMan

What possible good comes from examining, exposing and eliminating "the many false beliefs and erroneous traditions which have accumulated in all the world’s religions"??

First off, who decides what is false and erroneous? Then, who has the authority to tell religious leaders that they are wrong? Keep in mind that most religious leaders aren't the most flexible of thinkers. Finally, what good comes if you do accomplish the goal?

I think we would be better off just accepting, embracing, and understanding that there are thousands of belief systems out there and no one belief system should rule anyone's life.

Look, I came to RF to explore how people of other faiths think. I've learned a lot from them. But lately, there is a band of people hell bent to ridicule other faiths, but rarely with a purpose, but instead, just mindless babble.

I cannot in good conscious support the idea of being so religiously arrogant that I'd ever be able to decide whose belief is false and erroneous. I'd suggest that you should not, either.

Popeyesays

Approaching other religions with the object of disproving them is going to improve the atmosphere of political and religious strife in just what way?

Instead, if we approach all religions with the intent to find amity and accord, commonality and harmony it WILL improve the world.

Regards,
Scott

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

... sadly, no religion represents or reveals the whole Truth. The ‘ultimate’ (Spiritual) Truth, by definition, is singular. The fact that there are so many religions, each split into numerous ‘sects’, ‘creeds’ and ‘parties’, ...

What about those religions that teach that truth is singular, that are not fragmented, which recognize and respect other religions, and which teach that truth is relative?

You overgeneralize, I fear. . . .

Peace,

Bruce

A. Ben-Shema

Approaching other religions with the object of disproving them is going to improve the atmosphere of political and religious strife in just what way?

Instead, if we approach all religions with the intent to find amity and accord, commonality and harmony it WILL improve the world.

Regards,
Scott

It sounds like you are advocating compromise, the great tool of politicians and satan. Is that the way Jesus and all the other Masters worked? Or was Truth uppermost in the endeavours? Did not Jesus say that one would be hated and despised in this world for following the Truth? The only kind of peace you seem to understand is the flimsy paper peace signed by heads of state - which always disintegrates before the ink has dried. I am talking about rooting out the source of the hatred and misunderstanding, not about whitewashing it over. Until all people of this world understand Spiritual Truth and the real purpose of life on Earth, there cannot possibly be real lasting Peace. Peace can only be found within oneself, and until we all discover that, there will simply be no Peace on Earth.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I do agree that the truth can not be perceived without an open mind. However I disagree with your viewpoint that noone has the truth. Jesus is the truth. anyone who receives Jesus as Lord and Savior receives the truth. I tend to think that as much as pride getting in the way is the propensity to judge by appearances and to accept beliefs without investigating the evidence supporting those beliefs.

I realize that people have to start somewhere and be taught but at some point they have to become more mature and investigate the validity of the beliefs they have been taught. I learned to do this while studying with the Jehovah's Witnesses. What they said would leave me with the feeling that their teaching wasn't quite right but I didn't know the bible well enough to know why so I had to dig to find out why and the Paraclete helped me to dig. It was more than likely the Paraclete that tugged at my consciousness when a teaching wasn't quite right.

A. Ben-Shema

Greetings!

What about those religions that teach that truth is singular, that are NOT fragmented, which recognize and respect other religions, and which teach that truth is relative?

You overgeneralize, I fear. . . .

Peace,

Bruce

Please give me an example of such a religion.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
You are overgeneralizing. There are non-fanatical, open-minded people with broad spiritual vision in every religion. Just because the loudest, most obnoxious and most dangerous are the fanatical, closed-minded fundamentalists doesn't mean that we're all that way. Xy is more than James Dobson. Islam is more than al-Qaeda.

But, we all need to remember that spirituality is a basic human function, withhuman attributes. it's going to have its great ones and its bad apples. We all do the best we can, and all religions have, at least, a modicum of truth to them. Since religion is an expression of culture, we can only see God through the lens of our own cultural perspective. Forcing a "conversion" tot "the Truth" is no better than what the european Catholics did to South America, or what we did to the Indians.

Humanity is comprised of variety. So should religion be.

Popeyesays

If all the Divine Messengers have the same Source, and speak with the same Voice, then they all speak Truth.

Mankind can not embrace ultimate truth, it's beyond our knowledge level. We do not have the keys tlo the lock.

We can however, embrace relative truth. All things are relative to our understanding because we are relative to the tunivers--part of the Created. We cannot understand for a moment the Knowledge of the Creator. We subsist upon Creation--God does not subsist upon anything.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

It sounds like you are advocating compromise, the great tool of politicians and satan. Is that the way Jesus and all the other Masters worked? Or was Truth uppermost in the endeavours? Did not Jesus say that one would be hated and despised in this world for following the Truth? The only kind of peace you seem to understand is the flimsy paper peace signed by heads of state - which always disintegrates before the ink has dried. I am talking about rooting out the source of the hatred and misunderstanding, not about whitewashing it over. Until all people of this world understand Spiritual Truth and the real purpose of life on Earth, there cannot possibly be real lasting Peace. Peace can only be found within oneself, and until we all discover that, there will simply be no Peace on Earth.

Abraham knew the Truth and part of that Truth was the Moses would come to amplify the truth for Abraham's seed.

Moses knew the Truth and knew Jesus would come to amplify that truth for the followers of Moses.

Jesus knew the Truth and told us The Comforter would come to make kno9wn that which Jesus could not tell because of our own inability to understand.

Muhammad knew the Truth and laid the groundwork for the Mahdi and the Return of Christ.

The Bab knew the Truth and told us that he Whom God Would make Manifest would follow closely.

Baha`u'llah knew the Truth and promises another Divine Messenger when the time is ripe to continue to reveal Truth and educate us.

Regards,
Scott

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
If all the Divine Messengers have the same Source, and speak with the same Voice, then they all speak Truth.

Mankind can not embrace ultimate truth, it's beyond our knowledge level. We do not have the keys tlo the lock.

We can however, embrace relative truth. All things are relative to our understanding because we are relative to the tunivers--part of the Created. We cannot understand for a moment the Knowledge of the Creator. We subsist upon Creation--God does not subsist upon anything.

I largely agree with this except that, like Chef Gusteau in Ratatouille, my own perception is that anyone can cook.

As even Anton Ego concluded: "Anyone can cook . . . Not everyone can be a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere."

The knowledge claimed by the mystics at the roots of all those traditions was the experiential "knowledge" that the lover and his beloved are One.

You won't taste such delicacies eating at a restaurant run by the dead Chef's followers though.

Popeyesays

doppelgänger;889516 said:
I largely agree with this except that, like Chef Gusteau in Ratatouille, my own perception is that anyone can cook.

As even Anton Ego concluded: "Anyone can cook . . . Not everyone can be a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere."

The knowledge claimed by the mystics at the roots of all those traditions was the experiential "knowledge" that the lover and his beloved are One.

You won't taste such delicacies eating at a restaurant run by the dead Chef's followers though.

Sorry, DG, we have no clergy to run anything. The only official interpretation of the text came from Abdu'l Baha appointed directly by Baha`u'llah to be The Center of the Covenant, and ShoghiRabbani Effendi, the Guardian appointed as interpreter by Abdu'l Baha.

there was no descendant of the Bab or Baha`u'llah to be appointed as "Guardian" after the passing of Shoghi Effendi.

We have Houses of Justice elected by declared Baha`i's at various levels of organizations, but the authority to legislate concerning what is NOT in the writings is their restricted bailiwick. No single member of the Houses of Justice has ANY authority on his own, nor even in a full group if they are not convened in a meeting.

No clergy.

Regards,
Scott

doppelganger

Sorry, DG, we have no clergy to run anything. The only official interpretation of the text came from Abdu'l Baha appointed directly by Baha`u'llah to be The Center of the Covenant, and ShoghiRabbani Effendi, the Guardian appointed as interpreter by Abdu'l Baha.

Who said anything about "Clergy"? Methinks a game is afoot.

This sort of verbal sleight-of-hand might work on some folks, Scott, but I think you have the wrong audience for semantic games in me.

Authority is authority is authority. You can call it "Clergy" or the "officially appointed interpreter" or whatever you want . . . at that point, it's just a silly word game.

Popeyesays

doppelgänger;889527 said:
Who said anything about "Clergy"? Methinks a game is afoot.

This sort of verbal sleight-of-hand might work on some folks, Scott, but I think you have the wrong audience for semantic games in me.

Authority is authority is authority. You can call it "Clergy" or the "officially appointed interpreter" or whatever you want . . . at that point, it's just a silly word game.

No living individual has authority within the Baha`i Faith. Not one.

Regards,
Scott

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Why does spiritual truth need to be singular? Do all people experience "God", "Truth", "The Tao" -- or whatever you want to call things -- in the same way? And if so, how come different people often don't even experience the same tree in the same way, let alone experience "God" in the same way?

doppelganger

No living individual has authority within the Baha`i Faith. Not one.

Regards,
Scott

More semantic games.

What you're doing here is the Baha'i equivalent of the Fundamentalist Christian sola scriptura. It's a pretense of course. As there is no such thing. Meaning is a product of perspective. Words cannot now, never have and never will interpret themselves.

Thus, you recognize authoritative interpretations. Which is fine by me. You can choose to accept whatever authorities you want, Scott.

Just be honest about it please.