• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let us pray to save humanity?

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
I don't have to prove nor provide it. Don't need to, as things speak and provides for itself.
Claim without argument can't be considered as "thing that speaks and provides for itself"

It may speak something to you but not to me or someone who doesn't agree with you based on his experience or belief.

God is only inside peoples minds.
If god is only inside peoples minds, then you can imagine God right?

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Exactly. People have a lot of detail to express for their own personal customized God living in their psyche.
But...
1. God is a being than which none greater can be imagined.
2. God exists as an idea in the mind
3. A being that exists as an idea in the mind and in reality is, other things being equal, greater than a being that exists only as an idea in the mind.
4. Thus, if God exists only as an idea in the mind, then we can imagine something that is greater than God (that is, a greatest possible being that does exist).
5. But we cannot imagine something that is greater than God (for it is a contradiction to suppose that we can imagine a being greater than the greatest possible being that can be imagined.)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
But we cannot imagine something that is greater than God (for it is a contradiction to suppose that we can imagine a being greater than the greatest possible being that can be imagined.)

In your opinion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
But...
1. God is a being than which none greater can be imagined.
2. God exists as an idea in the mind
3. A being that exists as an idea in the mind and in reality is, other things being equal, greater than a being that exists only as an idea in the mind.
4. Thus, if God exists only as an idea in the mind, then we can imagine something that is greater than God (that is, a greatest possible being that does exist).
5. But we cannot imagine something that is greater than God (for it is a contradiction to suppose that we can imagine a being greater than the greatest possible being that can be imagined.)
You'd be surprised, if not already, at the sheer detail put into sermons and discourses. Only living in one's mind can it be that way.

Of course an added abstract is useful as well, as even abstracts described and placed as unfathomable and unexplainable adds to flair of imagination.

Kelly of the Phoenix

DEBATE IS WELCOMED ON THE THEME "CAN WE PRAY FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD, IT INCLUDES PEOPLE IN RUSSIA AND THEIR PUTIN?"

We all want the best for our world. The way to do it is to pray for the world.
But that is psychologically stressful and exhausting. And there is the
spiritual danger from satan; he will take revenge against you.
Hence, I suggest the following prayer:

``All saints and holy angels and God, please, give help
to 100 living and 100 dead people.''

After you get used to daily praying like that, you could gradually increase the number.
What if what is best is for our species to end?

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
I disagree with that premise. Most ancient deities were only slightly different than us.
God ≠ deity

Philosophically God is a being that is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent and omnipresent.
Which is a definition which is not in contradiction with biblical Yahweh.

deity on another side is usually represented with statuette and does not fit into definition of a God.

Hell, you can become a god with some magic food.
Tell me which food is that which would make me omnipotent or omniscient?

Even if Yahweh exists, the literary character clearly does not.
I find your statement vague because "existence" implies real.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
DEBATE IS WELCOMED ON THE THEME "CAN WE PRAY FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD, IT INCLUDES PEOPLE IN RUSSIA AND THEIR PUTIN?"

After you get used to daily praying like that, you could gradually increase the number.

Anyone who wants to pray, already can? For those like me who don't believe in any deity. that's not going to happen as there seems to be no point, since there is no objective evidence it has any effect, and when properly tested has been shown to have no discernible effect.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

The problem with that, is that God will help war criminals, like Putin and his associates. Assuming prayers work, of course.

Ciao

- viole

RestlessSoul

"CAN WE PRAY FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD, IT INCLUDES PEOPLE IN RUSSIA AND THEIR PUTIN?""
'All saints and holy angels and God, please, give help to 100 living and 100 dead people.':
Does that help in any way?

Of course. There are people who pray for Putin daily, that he should find peace in his heart and, if it be God’s will, turn away from violence.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

You think people haven't been doing that for eons? Faith without works is dead. We need action. It's a nice prayer, but let's actually help people in ways that are tangible. If people felt united to god and others, it would be wonderful, but many don't.

RestlessSoul

What if what is best is for our species to end?

Then so it will be.

Would be a shame though. Humanity, I believe, is in the process of a paradigm shift as profound as the Copernican Revolution, when the geocentric model of astronomy was abandoned, radically altering our perception of the universe and our place in it.

After each revolution in human understanding of the world, there must inevitably follow an equally profound alteration in consciousness. But first, we need to survive long enough to trancend our own base instincts.

RestlessSoul

Some probably also pray that he kicks Ukraine's butt. Which prayers take precedence?

The ones coming from a place of love and compassion, hopefully; on the grounds that the more love there is in the world, the less hate and war there’ll be. And because my conception of God, is a God of love.

At the very least, it can’t hurt to pray for peace and love. Nor can it hurt to at least try to love one’s enemies (if Putin is your enemy. Not sure he’s mine, but that’s another story).

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Some probably also pray that he kicks Ukraine's butt. Which prayers take precedence?
God wouldn't listen to such prayer.
material gain, war conquest and similar things should not be part of prayer.

I don't think praying for Putin makes any sense unless you're Ukranian, because Putin being their enemy means they should pray for their enemy.
We who are not Ukranians should pray for peace rather than for Putin since Putin doesn't harm us.

in any case prayer for victory of either side is not a valid prayer even if praying that victory would bring an end to conflict.