• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let asylum seekers fly in.

Nooj

none
There is a basic error here . The asylum seekers are not illegal.
this is a simple thing to check. and yet this misconception is still very widespread. why? is it the politicans? the media? where are people getting this idea from that asylum seekers are coming here illegally?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
this is a simple thing to check. and yet this misconception is still very widespread. why? is it the politicans? the media? where are people getting this idea from that asylum seekers are coming here illegally?

Once again very easy to associate. many reports have been perpetuated that a lot of these people do not qualify to receive asylum and that many are rich Pakistani businessmen and what not.

They recieve significant benefits for even getting here. I wish I got as many hand outs as they did.

I'd be much less critical of asylum seekers if I could see them benefiting this country as per my first page suggestions.

Nooj

none
It bothers me that you continually separate yourself from Australians. I ask again, are you not an Australian?
yes i am an australian.

i'm just doing the same thing that apophenia is doing when he says:

This should be remembered by those who think Australians are racist or prejudiced when they are uncomfortable about accepting basically unlimited numbers of muslim people from areas where this conflict dominates society.

Like with many things, people only know what they see and they see what they are presented in the media. They're no more idiotic than anyone else. At least these Australians aren't ruining their own country.
it's up to us to be better informed. sbs for example has had programmes about asylum seekers. there are many ngos that have released reports and info about asylum seekers. so has the federal government. if we act out of ignorance, then we are idiots.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
yes i am an australian.

i'm just doing the same thing that apophenia is doing when he says:

I only ask because it genuinly concerns me how much tax $ these people absorb. It also bothers me that people are ok with it and highly philosophical about it. It hurts me twice as my job is often directly related to vthe infrastructure budget. That and do these people even get forced to work?

14000 people have lost their jobs in QLD alone and to my knowledge these people get set up for months on end.

I generally do not care about these people and have no interest in them until they start burning down their temporary housing. That to me is enough to justify closing the border to them.

As I keep saying, we have more than enough problems of our own to deal with without these people coming in and making demands.

apophenia

It is a simple mistake, and one which flows from a certain view of the world. The most common opinion about this which I hear is that there are people who have done the 'right thing' and applied to come here through the right channels, and they never get a chance because the number of people arriving by boat fills the quota of immigrants.This includes many who have family members waiting for them here in Australia.

I notice that you did not answer the crucial points in my last post, which are the points which will really inform you about the concerns Australians have with large numbers of Afghan and Iraqi immigrants in particular.

I raised the concern about the Shia-Sunni situation which is an ongoing struggle within muslim communities, and also the undeniable fact (proven by experience) that a small percentage of these people will organise groups for the purpose of violent jihad in Australia. Various groups and individuals have already been detected and arrested by our security agencies.

I think you would not be honest if you said that these things don't happen, or the Australian community is overreacting or that I am just scaremongering.

Perhaps you could answer those points Nooj.

And also, please answer this next questions -

How many people do you think Australia should allow to seek refuge here ?
Do you have an upper limit ?
How would you suggest dealing with any excess over that limit ?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
How many people do you think Australia should allow to seek refuge here ?
Do you have an upper limit ?
How would you suggest dealing with any excess over that limit ?

Can I ask you a question please.

What should we do with these people? I sit wrong of us to expect them to be labourers?

apophenia

Can I ask you a question please.

What should we do with these people? I sit wrong of us to expect them to be labourers?

If we allow someone to gain Australian citizenship, then we must treat them as absolutely equal citizens.

What that means is that there is an ongoing impact on the national budget, and those who manage that must arrive a realistic costings over time to integrate immigration.

That implies a financial limit to the number of immigrants. As you have already said, we already have very low budgets in many social services here, and it is getting worse.

That is something which people need to include in their thinking. Australia does not have such wealth that we can simply throw our doors wide open with effectively no limits.

Satyamavejayanti

The Australian government should allow asylum seekers to fly into Australia at one tenth of the cost of coming on people smugglers' boats, says billionaire Clive Palmer.

Let asylum seekers fly in: Palmer

Do you agree with his proposal?

For those who don't know, hundreds of people who seek asylum in Australia drown each year in the oceans and seas on their way to Australia. The Australian government want to keep all asylum seekers offshore into Malaysia and those who are legit to be granted visas to live in Australia, the rest are to be returned home.

However, people will still try to come directly to Australia, but if they are given permission to enter the country as Palmer states, the death toll will decrease so too the number of illegal boats which charge about $10,000 for one person. There won't be any more boats if Australia welcomes asylum seekers and process them within Australian borders.

Any thoughts?

The better thing to do will be to bring back the protection visas, I see this boat people fiasco as a attack on Australian soil, people are illegally crossing our borders, where is our national pride these days.

it disturbs me that my family had to go through years of legal process, to legally get here, then we have these cheats who get permanent residence before the ones who go through the right process.

If people go through the normal process then i dont see a problem, but if someone can afford to pay to come here via boat, then they can afford to pay for the immigration fees and fill out a bloody form. Its simple, protection visas are the best answer.