• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning quranic arabic.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I realized due to countless discussion and debates about quran and or islam that my own understanding of the arabic spoken in the quran, really needs an upgrade :oops:

I know many muslims and non muslims here in RF have a deeper understanding of the quranic arabic language than i do.

HELP IS NEEDED!!!!!!!

Anyone know of a good website where i could start learning Quranic arabic :confused:

@adrian009
@Trailblazer
@firedragon

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
There are numerous instruction books available on Amazon for Quranic Arabic

But I can't see any that are in Norwegian so you'd prob have to get an English one?

firedragon

Veteran Member
I realized due to countless discussion and debates about quran and or islam that my own understanding of the arabic spoken in the quran, really needs an upgrade :oops:

I know many muslims and non muslims here in RF have a deeper understanding of the quranic arabic language than i do.

HELP IS NEEDED!!!!!!!

Anyone know of a good website where i could start learning Quranic arabic :confused:

@adrian009
@Trailblazer
@firedragon

I dont know any websites brother. But I think this book by Br. Masood Ranginwala is honestly easy to read. Only thing is I have not read this book fully so its not that I am recommending it. I was told by another friend of mine that he has done a fantastic job. Essentials of Quranic Arabic.

There are two approaches to Classical Arabic. One is "Critical" approach, and the other is standard approach. What one will notice after a while that those who start with the standard approach will find it quite difficult to get into a critical approach. I am not sure if I using these wordings correctly.

Anyway, I think that is a good book judging by the recommendations. Peace.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I dont know any websites brother. But I think this book by Br. Masood Ranginwala is honestly easy to read. Only thing is I have not read this book fully so its not that I am recommending it. I was told by another friend of mine that he has done a fantastic job. Essentials of Quranic Arabic.

There are two approaches to Classical Arabic. One is "Critical" approach, and the other is standard approach. What one will notice after a while that those who start with the standard approach will find it quite difficult to get into a critical approach. I am not sure if I using these wordings correctly.

Anyway, I think that is a good book judging by the recommendations. Peace.
Thank you :) i will certainly look in to it

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
If your goal is to understand the Qur'an in its Arabic, you should be able to just brute force memorize your way to comprehension. The Qur'an is a set text with a finite vocabulary and I'm sure there are plenty of recordings to work with.

Take a passage and listen to it while following along in the text. Look up every word you don't understand. Once you have done that listen to and follow the passage again until all is understood. You may have to reference a translation many, many times to reach that point. One you can reliably listen to the passage and understand each and every word, move on the next passage and repeat the process until you've completed the entire text. Sentence by sentence if you have to. (Mecca wasn't built in a day).

Of course, you should also set time to study grammar and whatnot. But it is my view the heavy lifting of language learning is though exposure to vocabulary in use.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If your goal is to understand the Qur'an in its Arabic, you should be able to just brute force memorize your way to comprehension. The Qur'an is a set text with a finite vocabulary and I'm sure there are plenty of recordings to work with.

Take a passage and listen to it while following along in the text. Look up every word you don't understand. Once you have done that listen to and follow the passage again until all is understood. You may have to reference a translation many, many times to reach that point. One you can reliably listen to the passage and understand each and every word, move on the next passage and repeat the process until you've completed the entire text. Sentence by sentence if you have to. (Mecca wasn't built in a day).

Of course, you should also set time to study grammar and whatnot. But it is my view the heavy lifting of language learning is though exposure to vocabulary in use.

Good luck.
I am already reading the quran in English, but realized that I gain more from the arabic version. Especially when my teacher in the Sufi order explain more and more by arabic terms, i can not be one who always must stop my teacher to ask for explenation in English:)

exchemist

Veteran Member
I am already reading the quran in English, but realized that I gain more from the arabic version. Especially when my teacher in the Sufi order explain more and more by arabic terms, i can not be one who always must stop my teacher to ask for explenation in English:)
When I was in the Persian Gulf I used to watch a programme, on the English language channel, that explained verses from the Koran. They used to read it in Arabic and then translate. I became convinced that it is poetry, because it sounds mystical and meditative in Arabic, even if you can't understand a word!

I only learnt a little colloquial Gulf Arabic, nearly all of which I have now forgotten, I'm sorry to say.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There are so many translations and commentaries on Quran. Are they not enough? My favorite translation of RigVeda is by Ralph Griffith at Sacred-Texts: Hinduism.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
IMHO, Conscious thoughts is perhaps from Turkey (Osmanli). I think they must be having such courses in Turkey also.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

HELP IS NEEDED!!!!!!!

@adrian009
@Trailblazer
@firedragon

I don’t speak Arabic. I rely on good English translations of the Quran such as Yusef Ali. While its ideal to learn Arabic I don’t see its necessary. Understanding the textural and historical context is arguably far more important.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Unless I'm mistaken, "quranic" Arabic is Classical Arabic. There is no more upgrading it than than there is upgrading Sanskrit or Biblical Hebrew. Upgrade to what? These are liturgical languages that should not be tampered with. It would entail writing scriptures in a different language. This is not the same as translation into a vernacular, this is upending the very foundations of the religions.