• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

learning a foreign language

satyaroop

have you learnt a foreign language?

which one(s)?

why did you learn it?

how did you learn it?

did you only learn how to use the language in a conversation i.e. speaking and understanding, or did you also learn how to read and write the script?

do you think that learning to read and write is a much better idea because it allows you to read basic books (like children's books) of that language and helps to build up your own language skills from there?

if you didn't learn how to read and write this language, but only learnt the language in it's conversational form, and you live in a country where this foreign language is not spoken, how do you improve you language skills? having conversations in the only way to improve, right? do you have converstaions online, maybe(i don't know,just asking)?

have you traveled to a foreign country where this language comes from, and did you use your language skills there? how did it go?

did you find it difficult, learning this language? was the process enjoyable?

do you think it's essential to learn face to face from a tutor rather than from books and video and audio cds?

what degree of fluency have you attained in this language?

....... .....

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes.

which one(s)?

Spanish

why did you learn it?

When I was in high school, it was because I intended to be a linguist. Subsequently, it was to communicate with my kitchen staff that did not speak any English. In the process, I taught them to speak English.

how did you learn it?

High school and from my crew.

did you only learn how to use the language in a conversation i.e. speaking and understanding, or did you also learn how to read and write the script?

Both, but I'm much better at speaking, understanding, and reading it than I am at writing it (thought it's been a few years since I've used it regularly and I'm a bit rusty).

do you think that learning to read and write is a much better idea because it allows you to read basic books (like children's books) of that language and helps to build up your own language skills from there?

I don't know, as that wasn't my intent in learning the language.

have you traveled to a foreign country where this language comes from, and did you use your language skills there? how did it go?

No.

No and yes. Even more so from my kitchen staff because they taught me all of the curse words. :D

do you think it's essential to learn face to face from a tutor rather than from books and video and audio cds?

For reading and writing, I think a teacher is helpful. I have no experience with video or CDs with regard to learning a language.

....... .....

I used to be able carry on a conversation without translating from English to Spanish in my head, but now, since it's been about 25 years since I've used it regularly, I find myself having to think more about the translation.[/QUOTE]

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

....... .....

Took 4 years of French in High School because my Grandmother came from Quebec Canada. She had actually lost most of her French though. When her and my Grandfather went to Quebec to see distant family she couldn't even order Bacon and eggs. Many years later my wife has family in Montreal so we visited, I had problems conveying my needs of Gas for my car to the attendant.

Took several on-line, night school and various programs for Spanish as my wife is from central america. What I have found is that in NJ where I live it is spoken frequently so I can still understand much of what the Spanish are saying however speaking is rather hard. When I have gone to El Salvador where all that is spoken is Spanish by the 2nd week I usually have no problems. The first week is a struggle.

In summary Language is not like a bike. Once you learn it you don't always know it, you need to practice it continually.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Yes (several)

which one(s)?

French,
Italian, needs practice
German, sketchy
A little Japanese, very little.
I can order food in cantonese, hindi and greek but couldn't hold a conversation.

why did you learn it?

Different reasons, Originally just as a pastime. Needed some japanese for business. Then decided to move to france so focussed on improving that.

how did you learn it?

For French, tutors, cds, inline, tv, conversation
The others just online

did you only learn how to use the language in a conversation i.e. speaking and understanding, or did you also learn how to read and write the script

Conversation for the others, read/write for French (bureaucracy here is frightening)

Depends on your needs, for me,yes

if you didn't learn how to read and write this language, but only learnt the language in it's conversational form, and you live in a country where this foreign language is not spoken, how do you improve you language skills? having conversations in the only way to improve, right? do you have converstaions online, maybe(i don't know,just asking)?

I listened to french news programs and compared them with english ones. Also had french friends i could talk with occasionally.

Yes, i live here, it gets better day by day.

I dont have a problem with euro language, japanese drove me crazy.

Depends on the person and circumstances

Enough to get by in italian and german with lots of hand signals and mistakes.

French is ok but i have a Lancashire (nw england) accent that can sometimes have hilarious results.

The thing is, it doesnt matter, most native speakers will be pleased to see you trying and will help out if needed.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes

which one(s)?
Tok Pisin

why did you learn it?
Was living in Papua New Guinea

how did you learn it?

Immersion in the language. Hearing it everyday. Also tried reading the local newspaper each day to help improve skills.

Primarily just conversational, although I got to a point I could read and write the basics, but lacked any level of fluency. So, effectively, I could read for general information, but not enjoyment.

It's almost a different skill though. I can learn to speak and understand a language without any understanding even of the letters in the language.

Doesn't apply to me, but my mum learnt Spanish. There was a coffee group, some of whom had decent Spanish, some were beginners. They'd run sessions/lessons on the language, but also do small outings, and talk in that language only.
She also uses Apps, and they seem pretty decent, actually.

Yes. It was hard dealing with native speakers unless they made allowances for me. In particular, any sort of slang or informal language was hard for me to grasp, as was the local accent (or more, they were accent free, which was hard for me to decipher).
I had a much easier time understanding other Australians speaking Tok Pisin.

No...it's a trade language, so there is a less diverse set of words to learn. And I enjoyed it very much.

No, but at some point you'll need to immerse yourself in the language. Having a tutor can help prepare you for this, particularly if they are a native speaker.

....... .....

Conversational, but not close to fluent. Basic reading and writing only.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I learned a bit of Spanish, but not very much. Fortunately, Portuguese is close enough to that language that I can still have a passable understanding of both spoken and written Spanish, although it is a considerable challenge to write any length of it, and no one understands my spoken Spanish.

My English is considerably better, and a not-inconsiderable source of personal pride and joy.