• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ladies on the forum, do you consider yourself to be a feminist?

Alceste

Vagabond
You also tend to flaunt your physical assets when wooing a potential mate? Or were you refering to being good at academics and having a love of learning?

Me too, I used to just pop my shirt off and let nature take its course. :D Eventually I found a genius and married him. Brains and a sound philosophy matter more than abs in the long run.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
No worries. It's all good. Take your time to create the thread. I'm looking forward to it.

This conversation has prompted me to do one of the most in depth biblical studies I've ever conducted. It's been facinating and perhaps a little eye opening.It's caused me to reflect upon my own position regarding the idea of submission in marriage. I will be coming out with a new thread defending the NT's picture of marriage however I'm not entirely sure what that's going to look like right now.

Same here. I hold doors open for people out of common courtesy. I especially go out of my way when I see someone approaching with a walker or someone who is chairbound. I've never been yelled at, nor have I ever felt demeaned if anyone did that for me.

But I also don't think any man who doesn't open a door for me has failed some masculinity test.

One time I was walking into a convenience store and simultaneously approached the door with a construction worker, around his mid-20's.

I ended up opening the door for him, and he gave me the strangest look, and barely audibly mentioned "Thanks."

Is it really that strange for a young adult woman to open a door for a young adult man? :areyoucra

In any case, I do not consider myself a feminist, although I do believe in equal rights. When it comes to courtship and dating, I don't mind being a lady and letting a man do the honours; it seems quite culturally embedded in men at the moment, at least in my age range. I believe that all relationship dynamics are up to the couple involved, and needn't be prescribed segregated roles if it doesn't work with the couple!

Just the thought of being literally carried off (with my consent, of course) by a cute guy is kinda sexy! :p

Alceste

Vagabond
One time I was walking into a convenience store and simultaneously approached the door with a construction worker, around his mid-20's.

I ended up opening the door for him, and he gave me the strangest look, and barely audibly mentioned "Thanks."

Is it really that strange for a young adult woman to open a door for a young adult man? :areyoucra

In any case, I do not consider myself a feminist, although I do believe in equal rights. When it comes to courtship and dating, I don't mind being a lady and letting a man do the honours; it seems quite culturally embedded in men at the moment, at least in my age range. I believe that all relationship dynamics are up to the couple involved, and needn't be prescribed segregated roles if it doesn't work with the couple!

Just the thought of being literally carried off (with my consent, of course) by a cute guy is kinda sexy! :p

Every position you describe is exactly what feminism supports. Equality, freedom from prescribed gender roles, NOT being carried off without your consent, etc.

Why do you not consider yourself a feminist?

Every position you describe is exactly what feminism supports. Equality, freedom from prescribed gender roles, NOT being carried off without your consent, etc.

Why do you not consider yourself a feminist?

Because my boyfriend eats feminists for breakfast.

I kid! :rolleyes:

He believes that 'patriarchy' is not as rampant as many believe, and feels feminists tend to see the cry of patriarchy = misandry.

Plus, I do not know much about feminism as a philosophy and movement, so I generally do not call myself a feminist. I see nothing wrong with womanhood being associated with hearth and home (although manhood would do well to also be associated with such things!), and see 'breadwinning and 'breadmaking' as complimentary roles, regardless of any couple's genders.

I actually feel that the breadwinning-homemaking dynamic is very nice for families, both gay and straight, and certainly eases the stresses of work and home life equally, according to one's capacity.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
This conversation has prompted me to do one of the most in depth biblical studies I've ever conducted. It's been facinating and perhaps a little eye opening.It's caused me to reflect upon my own position regarding the idea of submission in marriage. I will be coming out with a new thread defending the NT's picture of marriage however I'm not entirely sure what that's going to look like right now.

Now I'm even more curious. :)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

He believes that 'patriarchy' is not as rampant as many believe, and feels feminists tend to see the cry of patriarchy = misandry.

Then he's mistaken. Just as an aside, whatever your boyfriend believes doesn't have to be what you believe. There's plenty of things my husband and I see differently on, and that's okay. 10 years of marriage has shown that differences in opinion can live under the same roof without the family falling apart.

Plus, I do not know much about feminism as a philosophy and movement, so I generally do not call myself a feminist. I see nothing wrong with womanhood being associated with hearth and home (although manhood would do well to also be associated with such things!), and see 'breadwinning and 'breadmaking' as complimentary roles, regardless of any couple's genders.

I was a full time mother and homemaker for many years until the fruits of my loins became pre-teens and preferred having more independence. I then decided it was time to start working full time and then started my own business a year ago. I see nothing wrong with womanhood either, and in fact, as a feminist I celebrate womanhood every day, and I don't see having to "act like a man" in order to accomplish anything in business. I simply do business.

I actually feel that the breadwinning-homemaking dynamic is very nice for families, both gay and straight, and certainly eases the stresses of work and home life equally, according to one's capacity.

I still cook and do food prep for the family, but even that's changing now that husband and kids have more interest in wanting to try their hand at it. Husband does quite a bit at home while I'm at the business late at night. Kids take care of sweeping floors, dusting, putting laundry away, washing dishes, putting them away, mowing the lawn, taking the trash out.....we're all a team. No nagging, no threatening needed. We usually don't get as a whole how in other families or marriages somebody is getting harassed or yelled at to help out more at home. We do what we can for each other. In fact, I will come home sometimes to teen kids asking me if they can fix me something to eat (usually it's a bowl of cereal they'll offer, but the idea is totally there).

The point is that whether somebody thinks complimentarism is better for them doesn't negate somebody from being a feminist. However, if you think those specific roles should be the kind of roles for everybody, then it's safe to say that you're not a feminist.

Then he's mistaken. Just as an aside, whatever your boyfriend believes doesn't have to be what you believe. There's plenty of things my husband and I see differently on, and that's okay. 10 years of marriage has shown that differences in opinion can live under the same roof without the family falling apart.

Oh, no doubt I completely differ with him on many things. We generally argue it away, and then make up for it later! :)

The point is that whether somebody thinks complimentarism is better for them doesn't negate somebody from being a feminist. However, if you think those specific roles should be the kind of roles for everybody, then it's safe to say that you're not a feminist.

You're very lucky to have a family that is always taking care of each other in chores and in other tasks at home and work. I suppose that I do consider feminism a philosophy that goes out of its way to lobby for women's rights politically, and I just personally do not go out of my way to do so. I do not actively look out female-owned businesses, or read feminist literature (although I do enjoy female writers and compilers when available and divulging on a given subject of personal interest).

I suppose I am just spoiled in the Western hemisphere for enjoying the fruits of the women's rights movement!

Alceste

Vagabond

Well, regardless of what your boyfriend thinks feminism is, your views are consistent with feminist philosophy. He is right that we have made significant progress chopping away at patriarchy in the West over the past 150 years or so. We can own property, vote, hold political office, we are allowed to work outside the home, we have reproductive choice, we are getting closer to equal pay for equal work. With many of the goals of second wave feminism accomplished, third wave feminism has shifted focus to other issues, such as child poverty, political corruption and LGBT equality.

Of course, even though women don't have it as bad in the West as we once did, we still need to bring places like Afghanistan into the light. That place is hell on earth for women and girls.

Alceste

Vagabond
Oh, no doubt I completely differ with him on many things. We generally argue it away, and then make up for it later! :)

You're very lucky to have a family that is always taking care of each other in chores and in other tasks at home and work. I suppose that I do consider feminism a philosophy that goes out of its way to lobby for women's rights politically, and I just personally do not go out of my way to do so. I do not actively look out female-owned businesses, or read feminist literature (although I do enjoy female writers and compilers when available and divulging on a given subject of personal interest).

I suppose I am just spoiled in the Western hemisphere for enjoying the fruits of the women's rights movement!

I don't seek out female owned businesses or lobby for women's rights either. I once wrote a letter to my MP in support of gay marriage (now legal in Canada). I have read a few books and blogs, and I was in an underground riot grrrl punk rock duo in the 90s - mostly just me and my bisexual friend drinking beers, writing ridiculous lyrics and peeing ourselves laughing. :D we were so underground we never left the basement.