• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lab Grown Food

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Tell that to the many who have experienced better health and relief from the detrimental side effects of pharmaceutical drugs by switching to “unproven natural remedies “.
Tell that to the many who have died because they switched to "natural remedies" that just flat out did not work.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Tell that to the many who have experienced better health and relief from the detrimental side effects of pharmaceutical drugs by switching to “unproven natural remedies “.
Yeah, my uncle tried that and almost died. Actual doctors saved his life.

Or how about these people? Have you asked them?

"It's not the first time in 2016 the issue of natural medicine and the death of a child have been before the courts. In April, David and Collet Stephan were found guilty by a jury in Lethbridge, Alta., of failing to provide the necessaries of life for their 19-month-old son Ezekiel.

The couple treated Ezekiel with smoothies containing hot peppers, onions and horseradish when he became ill. He died of bacterial meningitis in hospital. A number of people, including a nurse who was a family friend, recommended the parents take Ezekiel to a doctor."

You are talking about people who have been taken in by hucksters, like the one found on this site you've linked us with. Don't kid yourself, it's also a multi-billion dollar industry. And one that can't even back up it's claims.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What are you thoughts about lab grown meat and other highly processed foods? Are these foods real or fake foods and are they safe, nutritious, or fit for consumption?

• Dutch investigative journalist Elze van Hamelen reports on the “tsunami of fake foods” being rolled out by the biotech industry
  • Fake meats are not about your health or the environment’s; they’re a tool to phase out farmers and ranchers and replace them with an ultraprocessed food product that can be controlled by patents
  • Creating lab-grown meat is “insanely expensive” and plagued by bacterial and viral contamination
  • Despite the pharmaceutical-style manufacturing, lab-grown meat isn’t considered a pharmaceutical product, which means no human testing is required
  • Van Hamelen recommends directing your food dollars not to corporate supermarket chains or fake food products but to small farmers growing real food

That's quite the screed.
I regret reading as much as I did.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
All remedies, be they "natural" or pharmaceutical,
have risks of side effects & inefficacy. I go with
what works well. For a cold, I like hot soup.
For a tibial spiral fracture, I like modern anesthetics
& anti-biotics. **** natural remedies for that malady.

InChrist

Free4ever
You were asked to provide a chemical that is present that "could lead to damaging overall human health and cause further suffering for animals by contaminating the environment."

"Ninety two mysterious, unknown compounds" is about as vague and uninformative as it gets.
One concern is the genetic engineering of cells and their potential cancer-promoting properties. Another issue is that biopsied cells of an animal used in cell-cultured meat do not contain the immunity actions from the animal’s immune system, this could leave bioreactor vats prone to bacteria growth like salmonella, fungi and worse unless antibiotics are used. All lab-grown meat companies keep the exact chemical composition of the media used to grow their cells a secret because of the industry’s competitiveness, but certainly various artificial additives are used for color and flavor enhancement.

InChrist

Free4ever
All remedies, be they "natural" or pharmaceutical,
have risks of side effects & inefficacy. I go with
what works well. For a cold, I like hot soup.
For a tibial spiral fracture, I like modern anesthetics
& anti-biotics. **** natural remedies for that malady.
I agree, so finding the right balance is important. I prefer natural treatments as much as possible, but have on occasion needed modern antibiotics or anesthesia, for which I am grateful to have access. When it comes to food, I just prefer real food grown or raised naturally.

InChrist

Free4ever
Tell that to the many who have died because they switched to "natural remedies" that just flat out did not work.
And how many have died from the use of pharmaceutical drugs that didn’t work or created further problems? I’m not going to go around and around with you about this. Life is a risk, so hopefully people do their research and then make the choice they believe to be best .

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree, so finding the right balance is important. I prefer natural treatments as much as possible, but have on occasion needed modern antibiotics or anesthesia, for which I am grateful to have access. When it comes to food, I just prefer real food grown or raised naturally.
I'll give manufactured meat a try when
it becomes an economic reality. It
portends better safety than critters
living in their own filth.

InChrist

Free4ever
I'll give manufactured meat a try when
it becomes an economic reality. It
portends better safety than critters
living in their own filth.
That’s your choice for sure. I get beef from a local rancher whose cows are pasture raised (no filth), then processed and packaged in a USDA packing plant.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
One concern is the genetic engineering of cells and their potential cancer-promoting properties. Another issue is that biopsied cells of an animal used in cell-cultured meat do not contain the immunity actions from the animal’s immune system, this could leave bioreactor vats prone to bacteria growth like salmonella, fungi and worse unless antibiotics are used. All lab-grown meat companies keep the exact chemical composition of the media used to grow their cells a secret because of the industry’s competitiveness, but certainly various artificial additives are used for color and flavor enhancement.
So you don't know which chemicals you were referring to when you said "It’s the chemical laden fake lab grown meat."

InChrist

Free4ever
So you don't know which chemicals you were referring to when you said "It’s the chemical laden fake lab grown meat."
No, I don’t know what specific chemicals, but do know that meat manufactured in a lab is highly processed and bound to have various artificial chemical compounds added for flavor, texture, and color. From my perspective these cannot be considered healthy.
As far as I can tell this is a section to discuss food and beverage, rather than a debate section. I am interested in hearing people’s thoughts about lab grown meat. I have expressed mine, but I am not going to get into an ongoing debate with you on the subject.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
No, I don’t know what specific chemicals, but do know that meat manufactured in a lab is highly processed and bound to have various artificial chemical compounds added for flavor, texture, and color. From my perspective these cannot be considered healthy.
As far as I can tell this is a section to discuss food and beverage, rather than a debate section. I am interested in hearing people’s thoughts about lab grown meat. I have expressed mine, but I am not going to get into an ongoing debate with you on the subject.
Either you "do know" or you do not know.
"is bound to have" is nothing more than a baseless assumption on your part.
One fed by a known liar for profit.

But you are right, you have not been debating in this thread.
merely offering up your opinions.

InChrist

Free4ever
You do...with your fancy pants artisanal
grass fed contented cow beef.
HaHa…not fancy. It’s actually less expensive to buy half a beef that way. Since we live on a fixed retirement income it saves money in the long run, especially when our adult kids buy some meat from us.