• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lab Grown Food

InChrist

Free4ever
What are you thoughts about lab grown meat and other highly processed foods? Are these foods real or fake foods and are they safe, nutritious, or fit for consumption?

• Dutch investigative journalist Elze van Hamelen reports on the “tsunami of fake foods” being rolled out by the biotech industry
  • Fake meats are not about your health or the environment’s; they’re a tool to phase out farmers and ranchers and replace them with an ultraprocessed food product that can be controlled by patents
  • Creating lab-grown meat is “insanely expensive” and plagued by bacterial and viral contamination
  • Despite the pharmaceutical-style manufacturing, lab-grown meat isn’t considered a pharmaceutical product, which means no human testing is required
  • Van Hamelen recommends directing your food dollars not to corporate supermarket chains or fake food products but to small farmers growing real food

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The article already seemed a bit conspiracy theoryish and then I came to The Great Poisoning. Yeah ok.
Anyhoo there's no meat consumed in this household, whether from evil scientists or from those lovely farmers and health-conscious slaughterhouse workers.
It is justa continuation of his typical nonsense.

Nimos

What are you thoughts about lab grown meat and other highly processed foods? Are these foods real or fake foods and are they safe, nutritious, or fit for consumption?

• Dutch investigative journalist Elze van Hamelen reports on the “tsunami of fake foods” being rolled out by the biotech industry
  • Fake meats are not about your health or the environment’s; they’re a tool to phase out farmers and ranchers and replace them with an ultraprocessed food product that can be controlled by patents
  • Creating lab-grown meat is “insanely expensive” and plagued by bacterial and viral contamination
  • Despite the pharmaceutical-style manufacturing, lab-grown meat isn’t considered a pharmaceutical product, which means no human testing is required
  • Van Hamelen recommends directing your food dollars not to corporate supermarket chains or fake food products but to small farmers growing real food

Don't know anything about it. But assuming it can be made safely, cheap, and tastes good etc. I wouldn't have a problem with it. Maybe you could even get your own machine at home, like a coffee machine or baking machine that can make meat for you, just pour in a lot of tasty chemicals, and 10 minutes later you have perfect bacon :D

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
"Evil Food Supply" posted this. And they put "literally" in the title. As opposed to what? A figurative scam? :tearsofjoy:

Yep. Keep watching....no conspiracy theories to see here...
Yeah, because it's not a "conspiracy theory". Our food supply is full of toxic garbage and has been for decades, often for a quick money grab. Synthetic "food" grown in a vat is just the latest example.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, because it's not a "conspiracy theory". Our food supply is full of toxic garbage and has been for decades, often for a quick money grab. Synthetic "food" grown in a vat is just the latest example.

I don't see anything in the article that supports the claim that it's an example of food that's full of toxic garbage, but I'll admit it's certainly not a cure-all for environmental concerns or hunger.

That said, given my personal views, if people are going to eat meat, I'd much rather see them munch on flesh that was grown in a lab than from a slaughtered animal.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't see anything in the article that supports the claim that it's an example of food that's full of toxic garbage, but I'll admit it's certainly not a cure-all for environmental concerns or hunger.

That said, given my personal views, if people are going to eat meat, I'd much rather see them munch on flesh that was grown in a lab than from a slaughtered animal.
There's a cancer risk:

"Lab-grown meat isn’t especially healthy to eat. Experts say the cultivated proteins could be defined as ultra-processed, which the National Institute of Health and United Nations researchers have warned against for years. Some studies even show links to cancer and other diseases with certain kinds of ultra-processed foods. It’s too early for any research on the long-term impacts of eating novel proteins, or the effect of using a sterilized environment to create nutrients for people to consume."

Yeah, I know your views on eating meat, which I don't share. Natural is best and healthiest, not synthetic.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There's a cancer risk:

"Lab-grown meat isn’t especially healthy to eat. Experts say the cultivated proteins could be defined as ultra-processed, which the National Institute of Health and United Nations researchers have warned against for years. Some studies even show links to cancer and other diseases with certain kinds of ultra-processed foods. It’s too early for any research on the long-term impacts of eating novel proteins, or the effect of using a sterilized environment to create nutrients for people to consume."

Yeah, I know your views on eating meat, which I don't share. Natural is best and healthiest, not synthetic.
Links to cancer from eating ultra-processed foods. Your own quote states that it's too early to know if lab created is linked to cancer or other diseases or presents any risk.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I hope it becomes cheap and affordable so that killing animals for food is banned forever.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Links to cancer from eating ultra-processed foods. Your own quote states that it's too early to know if lab created is linked to cancer or other diseases or presents any risk.
It is an ultra processed food. I don't know why you'd trust something grown in a vat by a biotech company. I sure as hell don't and will not be putting it in my body.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You want the food supply to be controlled by private companies? How insane!
I have nothing against private companies. Once lab grown food becomes economically attractive, I am pretty certain that health, nutrition and safety aspects will be regulated just as it happens in meat from big ranches. But it will mean no more killing and big brained mammals being treated as just meat lockers throughout their lives. That is a big win for me.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I have nothing against private companies. Once lab grown food becomes economically attractive, I am pretty certain that health, nutrition and safety aspects will be regulated just as it happens in meat from big ranches. But it will mean no more killing and big brained mammals being treated as just meat lockers throughout their lives. That is a big win for me.
That's way too authoritarian and naive for me. Thankfully it will never happen.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I can't wait to try it.

I'm sure if it was unsafe, the FDA would never approve it.