• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Will Plaster Schools With Corporate Logos to Make Some Cash

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I should've known it would come to this eventually. It seems as though every single governor we get(at least in california) wants to cut more and more money from education in order to fund there own pet projects. It seems as though whenever there's a problem with the budget people pull money from the schools first when in truth that's the absolute last thing they should be pulling money from(hell I would say they should never pull money from it at all). All it does is make all the other stuff more expensive in the long run. And education sucks enough here as it is.
/rant

Though in truth while I do have my own reservations about the idea I think that so long as any school system that does this sort of thing is careful about what adds they allow it wouldn't be too bad, especially considering the amount of money it would get them.

gnomon

Given the **** poor management principles the State of California and so many county and city governments have taken in that State who can blame them.

I say, good for them. As our government institutions continue to fail and bankrupt themselves it's good to see people trying to do something rather than waiting for some BS direct democracy crap experiment in the largest failed State to do something.

Instead, we could say absolutely not and watch as the remaining of the funding gets slashed thanks to an idiotic electorate who thinks the general welfare aspect of government means taking care of every little part of their lives. How is that funded?

It's not.

edit: A little clarity. I normally would not support any such notion. However, California is in dire straits. If the schools can get money by allowing corporations to pay them, instead of just relying on the kids to advertise with every article of clothing they are wearing, then perhaps it's a good thing that the schools can get some money from the companies the kids and parents are wasting their money on already. In other words, another way to look at it.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'll take corporate sponsorship any day of the week if it means no tax increases on an already overburdened and fleeced middle class population.

Crosis

Just more monetary ********. im just now starting to see driving billboards in my town i hate them. everybodys got to make money its whats most important making money right.

gnomon

Well, if you are not growing your own food, making your own clothes, cooking utensils, etc. from raw resources.......yeah, you have to make money.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
If it makes you feel any better, education budgeting isn't just a California problem. Our governor in South Dakota favors taking money from education, and we're a state with some of the lowest paid teachers, and one of the highest high school dropout rates, in the nation. Many of my own relatives are high school dropouts who have joined the military because its the only option available to them. Its very difficult to find work in South Dakota that isn't in agriculture, food service, or medicine. Young people leave because they can't find employment, and thats due mainly to poor education. Our legislators complain that they can't keep intelligent people here, then they cut education funding...bunch of morons.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
MIght as well take the last step and make it official - the education system has been nothing but preparation as a good consumer, for years.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I should've known it would come to this eventually. It seems as though every single governor we get(at least in california) wants to cut more and more money from education in order to fund there own pet projects. It seems as though whenever there's a problem with the budget people pull money from the schools first when in truth that's the absolute last thing they should be pulling money from(hell I would say they should never pull money from it at all). All it does is make all the other stuff more expensive in the long run. And education sucks enough here as it is.
/rant

Though in truth while I do have my own reservations about the idea I think that so long as any school system that does this sort of thing is careful about what adds they allow it wouldn't be too bad, especially considering the amount of money it would get them.

Why get upset over that? The CA education system, with or without money, is a piece of trash. It does little to actually educate.

The problem is that we need to privatize things. Public services (police, ambulances, roads, beautification, education, etc).

Lower taxes, cut the hell out of spending, and let private industry take over the things that the government obviously doesn't manage well.

Vote Libertarian

dust1n

Zindīq
Lower taxes, cut the hell out of spending, and let private industry take over the things that the government obviously doesn't manage well.

Yeah, they manage like some kind of business entity, as if it was overran by private interests. The only thing left to stop private interests from doing terrible things is infested with private interests.