• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Killing in War - Ok or Not?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Those that go to war for their country and kill others.

Is that OK in the eyes of your religion?

Can they be forgiven? Is it an automatic pass because it is war? Etc.
For me personally it is ethically wrong. I can't speak for anyone else.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
As far as I'm aware, Catholicism allows for the moral permissibility of war if such war meets the just war criteria. Which would imply the moral permissibility of the unavoidable killing that happens in war.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Great question, Rex....as a pacifist....I am against all violence....I believe we must find a way to solve problems peacefully....are there exceptions.....???.....yes....WWII......!!!!

The logical extension of too much reluctance to commit violence in war,is that the worst of us - those who are completely uninhibited about enforcing their will by repulsively brutal means - end up dictating laws and mores to the rest of us - those who do have qualms. 'The best lack all conviction, while the worst/are full of passionate intensity'.

That can't be. What quantum, and what circumstances justify the use of force, and what quantum, are questions for another time. But some resistive force must be justified.

TruthBeliever

Those that go to war for their country and kill others.

Is that OK in the eyes of your religion?

Can they be forgiven? Is it an automatic pass because it is war? Etc.

Just a small collection of references which might prove useful/interesting:

In his treatise "The Chaplet, or De Corona" (XI), when discussing "whether warfare is proper at all for Christians," Tertullian (c. 200 C.E.) argued from Scripture the unlawfulness even of a military life itself, concluding, "I banish from us the military life." - The Ante-Nicene Fathers, 1957, Vol. III, pp. 99, 100.

"A careful review of all the information available goes to show that, until the time of Marcus Aurelius [121-180 C.E.], no Christian became a soldier; and no soldier, after becoming a Christian, remained in military service." (The Rise of Christianity, by E. W. Barnes, 1947, p. 333)

"It will be seen presently that the evidence for the existence of a single Christian soldier between 60 and about 165 A.D. is exceedingly slight; . . . up to the reign of Marcus Aurelius at least, no Christian would become a soldier after his baptism." (The Early Church and the World, by C. J. Cadoux, 1955, pp. 275, 276)

"In the second century, Christianity . . . had affirmed the incompatibility of military service with Christianity." (A Short History of Rome, by G. Ferrero and C. Barbagallo, 1919, p. 382)

"The behavior of the Christians was very different from that of the Romans. . . . Since Christ had preached peace, they refused to become soldiers." (Our World Through the Ages, by N. Platt and M. J. Drummond, 1961, p. 125)

"The first Christians thought it was wrong to fight, and would not serve in the army even when the Empire needed soldiers." (The New World's Foundations in the Old, by R. and W. M. West, 1929, p. 131)

"The Christians . . . shrank from public office and military service." ("Persecution of the Christians in Gaul, A.D. 177," by F. P. G. Guizot in The Great Events by Famous Historians, edited by R. Johnson, 1905, Vol. III, p. 246)

"While they [the Christians] inculcated the maxims of passive obedience, they refused to take any active part in the civil administration or the military defense of the empire. . . . It was impossible that the Christians, without renouncing a more sacred duty, could assume the character of soldiers, of magistrates, or of princes." - The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, by Edward Gibbon, Vol. I, p. 416.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Yes, it's okay in my religion. Catholicism recognizes the importance of duty to country, we have centuries full of Catholic military heroes and the US military has its own Archdiocese.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I think I would only consider killing to defend the innocent, and in extreme circumstances. My time in the Army Reserve was a lifetime ago, but I think I could still remember how to work a general purpose machine gun if one were available.

Not quite sure where this is going or specifically what to you true definition of your meaning of war is? if you are talking about actually war for example Whorl War One or World War Two then yes definitely killing is the right thing to do however there are variations to what is conspired as killing during a war and what is considered as murder, for instance shooting an unarmed civilian of a neutral country during a war is seen as murder and the braking of the Genevra Convention, I have never been a conscientious objector and if it was all out war which threatened the lives and existence of the country I am born in right here in England then I would be one of the first to rush to the Army Careers Office to enlist, though I am past the accepted age of infantry man I would have to join the Home Guards, what is now called the Territorial Army but hell yeah killing in war is right and though I do not follow the Christian doctrine per say, it would be worth you have a good read at the bible to see how many holy wars had been fought at the command of god of the bible, as for my unconventional beliefs I would totally kill to defend yes, and nationally for my country too in a matter of a international threat, ''Man you would not have to ask me twice'' saying that though I do not believe to kill indiscriminately, I am a Brave and a Warrior how could I not have the will to kill.

Servant_of_the_One1

I take it that for some reason this Free Will I keep hearing about somehow can't function well in war?

Luis, seriously?
If soldier is out there to kill you. Would you really think about what Bible says regarding killing?

Survival of the fittest.
Had i been soldier and in war situation i would kill the enemy soldiers without a single doubt. Unless they surrender, then they should be treated well.
Or if thief tries to break into my house, i have the right to shoot at him.
Sometimes there is no space for negotiation and reasoning.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Luis, seriously?

Very seriously indeed. I become very incensed about this subject rather easily, trust me.

If soldier is out there to kill you. Would you really think about what Bible says regarding killing?

Probably not. I don't much think of the Bible. I'm honestly wondering what you meant here.

Survival of the fittest.
Had i been soldier and in war situation i would kill the enemy soldiers without a single doubt. Unless they surrender, then they should be treated well.
Or if thief tries to break into my house, i have the right to shoot at him.
Sometimes there is no space for negotiation and reasoning.

Yes. Just like sometimes there is no space for honor, dignity, or even for hope of survival.

All of those unfortunate situations must of course be avoided.

War is inherently dishonorable, and there is no such thing as a honorable war killing.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Perhaps. Are you implying that war killings are not murder?

I don't think that can hold any water.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Perhaps. Are you implying that war killings are not murder?
Murder is the deliberate and unjustified killing of an another human being. A combatant taking the life of an enemy combatant in the lawful exercise of his sworn duty is acting justifiably, therefore it's not murder. I'm not saying war itself is a morally good thing and that the lives lost aren't tragic.