• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids of lesbians have fewer behavioral problems, study suggests

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"It just defies common sense and reality." -- said by a social conservative, no less.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
Nothing magical about it; the article noted that lesbians are very involved parents. So there's hope for straight parents, too.
:yes: Being tuned into your kids and making them your first priority is key.

Whatever the reason, it's great news!

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
"It just defies common sense and reality." -- said by a social conservative, no less.

Common sense would say that sex does not matter when adopting a child (or artificial insemination for that matter). Gender could play a role depending upon the social context. I have seen no evidence to suggest that having two parents of one gender is harmful to a child. Of course, that social conservative probably considers teaching the kid that homosexuality is normal, is harmful; thus, from her viewpoint, homosexual parents are wrong, a priori.

Another overlooked fact, in the CNN article, is that lesbians are almost certain to be liberal in their world-view, in our societal context. In a situation, like ancient Athens, a exclusive heterosexual marriage would be as aberrant behaviour, and so a liberal would actually be fighting for heterosexual exclusivity. My point? Sex is not a causal factor.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I agree with you, but in this case the correlation has a causal component. Cuz the thing about lesbians is, they don't get pregnant by accident--because they're lesbians. So in a way, lesbianism does "cause" better parenting, but only indirectly.

Fair enough.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
The article may or may not be true. There are little facts in it. Such as how many couples were used. How where couples picked. It details the time table for testing the children of lesbians but not of the paired couples or if it was the same. It only metions a standard testing method.

Its also based on 25 years. How long as embryo fertilization been around and how many couples have done it. Also isn't that a very expensive process so they would have to be rich. Was it a comparison of rich to poor.

I would wait on judgement until I see the full results.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
ScienceDaily (Sep. 30, 2007) — A study of families in the Netherlands indicates that children raised by lesbian couples “do not differ in well being or child adjustment compared with their counterparts in heterosexual-parent families.”

Taking issue with 20 years of research conclusions that say there are no differences, two University of California sociologists recently re-examined data from 21 studies on gay parenting dating back to 1980. The new study by two University of Southern California sociologists says children with lesbian or gay parents show more empathy for social diversity, are less confined by gender stereotypes, and are probably more likely to explore homosexual activity themselves. Writing in recent issue of the American Sociological Review, the authors say that the emotional health of the two sets of children is essentially the same.

How are children with LGBT parents different from children with straight parents?
From the standpoint of child development, there have been several studies done attempting to compare children from straight families with children from LGBT families, especially lesbian-headed families. Researchers have concluded that sexual orientation of a parent does not have a significant impact on the mental health, coping skills, peer relationships, or general maturation process. For a detailed summary of the research findings, with bibliography, please consult the website of the American Psychological Association: Redirect Page.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
It is an example of correlation, not causation.
They did point out some of the whys though.

Nothing magical about it; the article noted that lesbians are very involved parents. So there's hope for straight parents, too.
I would have to say that the essentially all wanted pregnancies is the key to this study. Combine with not only one mother's love, but two of them, and that probably did put the lesbian parent combination, perhaps unfairly, way above male/male, male/female, or single male or female parents.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Wayne, if children are better behaved by showing more empathy, honesty, and the ability to put aside differences in order to be a part of their surrounding community, just how important is it what their parents do in the bedroom?

Care to re-evaluate what are the more important sins to focus on? Given the inclination to see homosexuality as a sin, how is that any more important than fraud, hypocrisy, anger and violence, or greed?

Welcome to RF, btw.

Wayne121

Wayne, if children are better behaved by showing more empathy, honesty, and the ability to put aside differences in order to be a part of their surrounding community, just how important is it what their parents do in the bedroom?

Who is defining "behavior," and in which way? I define it according to Biblical standards. Some behaviors may be ok according to one standard and not ok in another standard. Wasn't this a European study? If so they generally are not big Biblical standard supporters.

Care to re-evaluate what are the more important sins to focus on? Given the inclination to see homosexuality as a sin, how is that any more important than fraud, hypocrisy, anger and violence, or greed?

Welcome to RF, btw.

Yes, even Jesus said some sins are greater than others, so we can agree on that.

And thanks for the welcome! Cheers...

averageJOE

zombie
Who is defining "behavior," and in which way? I define it according to Biblical standards. Some behaviors may be ok according to one standard and not ok in another standard. Wasn't this a European study? If so they generally are not big Biblical standard supporters.
So...all Europeans are going to hell?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
You might read Romans chapters 1 to 4 along with John 3:36, John 8:24, John 14:6, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, and a few others like that for your answer.
This only applies if one believes the Bible to be the word of God, or believes in God to begin with, no?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
That's a good thing? It seems to me the kids aren't getting a decent Biblical education. Otherwise they wouldn't be so accepting of sinful relationships, etc. I'm also quite concerned about where the kid's are going to spend eternity? Unless their gay parents teach them right from wrong and that Jesus Christ needs to be their Lord and Savior for the remission of their sins, the kids are as good as lost and their gay parents do not have the kid's best interests and eternal well being in mind.

Gay sex is a sin in scripture (Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; i Corinthians 6:9-10; Jude 7, etc.).

It's also curious about who it is who might be judging the kid's "behavior problems." Is it a collection of gays and lesbians who have no objective, absolute moral framework, like in the Bible? Say a framework where...anything goes? Unless sinful behavior is defined (as in the Bible), then of course people are not going to be real proficient at identifying right and wrong and "behavioral problems."
OMG, you're right! People who don't adhere to rigid, outdated moral legalism don't even know that murder is wrong!

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Regardless of sexual orientation, I think it's a well known fact that women make better parents than men.

*dodges the rotten tomatoes being thrown*
Sonic1.gif

:facepalm:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
You might read Romans chapters 1 to 4 along with John 3:36, John 8:24, John 14:6, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, and a few others like that for your answer.

1Corinthians 4-3,4,5

I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself.

My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.

Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.

Wayne, I saw you quote Leviticus a few posts back, are you as hard on disrespectful children as you are on lesbians?

Let me ask you a few questions if I may, in YOUR church, are there church members who are divorced and remarried?

Do you have overweight members in your church?

Would you love your neighbor if they where a lesbian couple?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't think it's a very good idea to use something that instructs people on how to sell their own daughter into sexual slavery (Exodus 21:7-11) as a moral compass or parenting guide. Toilet paper, yes, but not a moral compass or parenting guide.

Wayne121

OMG, you're right! People who don't adhere to rigid, outdated moral legalism don't even know that murder is wrong!

Outdated my foot. You'd like for it to be outdated.

And who says we don't know murder is wrong? We do. The pro-abortionists don't, though.

But what is really regressive and outdated is the Sodom and Gomorrah mentality that gay sex is ok. It isn't. They need to repent. :D

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Outdated my foot. You'd like for it to be outdated.

And who says we don't know murder is wrong? We do. The pro-abortionists don't, though.

But what is really regressive and outdated is the Sodom and Gomorrah mentality that gay sex is ok. It isn't. They need to repent. :D
THis was posted recently, but apparently you need to see it:
Dear Dr. Laura,
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.
When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?
I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
Lev. 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify?
I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?
Lev. 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

So, yeah, pathetically outdated.