• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky governor race flips to the Democrat.

Skipper

Wrong is wrong,/ Make America moral again.
I'd consider moving to a low-taxed well-developed capitalistic society like Singapore.

Have you checked the requirements that Singapore has imposed? You can't just fly over and say I want to stay permanently.

Skipper

Fair enough. Appreciate your answer. Not sure I'd move there personally though. Wouldn't the life style and language be a challenge?

The culture would be very different. For instance, chewing gum is illegal in Singapore. A tourist can bring two packs ... more and you may be charged with smuggling gum and given up to a year in jail. Don't get caught throwing gum onto a sidewalk or street. Gum exceptions are made for therapeutic gums.

Smoking is illegal just about everywhere.

This is an Asian culture. Don't expect to find 'little America" there.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
The culture would be very different. For instance, chewing gum is illegal in Singapore. A tourist can bring two packs ... more and you may be charged with smuggling gum and given up to a year in jail. Don't get caught throwing gum onto a sidewalk or street. Gum exceptions are made for therapeutic gums.

Smoking is illegal just about everywhere.

This is an Asian culture. Don't expect to find 'little America" there.
And spitting on the street is illegal too, right? Or is that somewhere else?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Do realize how regimented life in Singapore is?

My understanding is that Somalia has the smallest government in the world.
Tom

I like Asians, Asian food and culture, I'd enjoy Singapore better than any crap-hole African place.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I like Asians, Asian food and culture, I'd enjoy Singapore better than any crap-hole African place.
I don't pretend to know much about Singapore.
But,apparently, they do have strong infrastructure. That gets paid by taxes, somehow, there's no free lunch. And I believe you'd be giving up all those rights, like the 1st and 2nd Amendments, that you seem attached to having.

Just a guess.
Tom

Skipper

And spitting on the street is illegal too, right? Or is that somewhere else?

Freedom of speech is limited.
You can get up to 14 years in jail for having a firearm.
It is illegal to gather in groups of more than 3 people after 10:00 p.m..
E-cigarettes and shisha are banned.
Caining is legal and mandatory for many offenses.

Best check things out carefully before committing to moving there ... if you happen to qualify.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Tried watching Fox last night for election coverage....they didn't cover the elections at all. Nothing. Additionally, I've noticed Fox has disabled comments on all of it's stories.

Can't let the herd learn any information before Fox can spin it!
Ditto. I watched off and on from 8-11 p.m., and the "reporting" was just so bizarre. Pretty much nothing on the Sondland bombshell, and at around 10:30 Ingraham said that the loss in the Kentucky governorship race to the Dems was actually a victory for Trump because the Republican was probably 20 points down before Trump held his rally. However, the Pub was actually up 5 points a week before the election.

How anyone can watch Fox and actually think they're getting the news is beyond me. It's basically a propaganda channel as Murdock in essence said when he created it, as he said it would reflect "conservative" values, much like his other media holdings in other parts of the world. And yet I personally know some people who literally will only watch Fox for their national "news".

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I don't pretend to know much about Singapore.
But,apparently, they do have strong infrastructure. That gets paid by taxes, somehow, there's no free lunch. And I believe you'd be giving up all those rights, like the 1st and 2nd Amendments, that you seem attached to having.

Just a guess.
Tom

I suppose I'd feel more comfortable and secure in a society where civilians are allowed to possess guns. I do know a bit of Spanish and I love spicy foods. I believe Uruguay has low taxes as well as lenient gun ownership laws, I suppose then that I should consider moving there if the U.S. government were to attempt taking away a large portion of wealth from me.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I suppose I'd feel more comfortable and secure in a society where civilians are allowed to possess guns. I do know a bit of Spanish and I love spicy foods. I believe Uruguay has low taxes as well as lenient gun ownership laws, I suppose then that I should consider moving there if the U.S. government were to attempt taking away a large portion of wealth from me.
You kinda remind me of the Bernie Bros who claimed that they were gonna move to Canada or Europe or somewhere if Sanders didn't win.:rolleyes:
Tom

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Ditto. I watched off and on from 8-11 p.m., and the "reporting" was just so bizarre. Pretty much nothing on the Sondland bombshell, and at around 10:30 Ingraham said that the loss in the Kentucky governorship race to the Dems was actually a victory for Trump because the Republican was probably 20 points down before Trump held his rally. However, the Pub was actually up 5 points a week before the election.

How anyone can watch Fox and actually think they're getting the news is beyond me. It's basically a propaganda channel as Murdock in essence said when he created it, as he said it would reflect "conservative" values, much like his other media holdings in other parts of the world. And yet I personally know some people who literally will only watch Fox for their national "news".

Fox News isn't the only news source for me, I also like hearing conservative talk radio as well as reading Breitbart News or the Blaze. I've tried watching a bit of C.N.N, or M.S.N.B.C. in order to know what our political adversaries are reporting.; however, I can hardly stand watching fake news.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't claim to know much about Uruguay.
But many similar countries don't allow foreigners to own property, due to the abuses of the past.
Tom
ETA ~You may find, with enough research, that you are no more capable of leaving the unique culture of the USA than I was able to leave the RCC.~

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
You kinda remind me of the Bernie Bros who claimed that they were gonna move to Canada or Europe or somewhere if Sanders didn't win.:rolleyes:
Tom

They were just all talk and no action; However, I'll do it, I won't hesitate to move out of this country if it were attempting to tax away more than one-third of my wealth.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I don't claim to know much about Uruguay.
But many similar countries don't allow foreigners to own property, due to the abuses of the past.
Tom
ETA ~You may find, with enough research, that you are no more capable of leaving the unique culture of the USA than I was able to leave the RCC.~

Fortunately for a prospective American expatriate like me, Uruguay would allow private property ownership rights there by me.

Excellent Real Estate And Property In Uruguay 2019

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As a follow-up to my last post, this is from PunditFact as reported by PolitiFact: And as for CNN? It has the best record among the cable networks, as 80 percent of of the claims rated are Half True or better.

As for Fox: At Fox and Fox News, 10 percent of the claims PunditFact has rated have been True, 11 percent Mostly True, 18 percent Half True, 21 percent Mostly False, 31 percent False and nine percent Pants on Fire.
-- PunditFact checks in on the cable news channels

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I'd consider moving to a low-taxed well-developed capitalistic society like Singapore.
Something I read on Wikipedia about Singapore:

The government provides numerous assistance programmes to the homeless and needy through the Ministry of Social and Family Development, so acute poverty is rare. Some of the programmes include providing between SGD400 and SGD1000 per month to needy households, providing free medical care at government hospitals, and paying for children's school fees.[260][261][262] The Singapore government also provides numerous benefits to its citizenry, including free money to encourage residents to exercise in public gyms,[263] up to $166,000 worth of baby bonus benefits for each baby born to a citizen,[264] heavily subsidised healthcare, money to help the disabled, cheap laptops for poor students,[265] rebates for numerous areas such as public transport,[266] utility bills and more.[267][268]
Sounds like they have a better welfare and social program than USA, yet have a more capitalistic economy as well.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Kentucky's Senate Leader says the legislature may choose the Governor

"Kentucky Senate President Robert Stivers threw another wrench into the state's razor-thin gubernatorial outcome late Tuesday night, saying that the legislature could decide the race.

Stivers' comments came shortly after Gov. Matt Bevin refused to concede to Attorney General Andy Beshear, who led by roughly 5,100 votes when all the precincts were counted...

...Stivers said he thought Bevin’s speech declining to concede to Beshear was “appropriate.” He said believes most of the votes that went to Libertarian John Hicks, who received about 2% of the total vote, would have gone to Bevin and made him the clear winner."

What the GOP did in North Carolina and Wisconsin after those states elected Democratic Governors was bad enough, but to just outright steal an election like this? That may just be the last straw.