• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keane "Pagans are idiots"

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Sunstone said:
Apparently, Brett Keane doesn't have a life and needs to get one.

That's what I was thinking....

Either that, or if he's trying to learn about a religion, it makes more sense to seek out the mature instead of the more obvious uninformed and "shock value" Pagans.

I think the bigger issue here is that I don't understand why some atheists have to go to great lengths to devalue and ridicule every religion out there. What's the point? It doesn't prove you're smarter than people who believe in a religion, all it proves is that you're insecure and obnoxious.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
I like hippies, though I would dispute that hippies are stupid or worthless.

Or, indeed, that pagans are hippies. Well, some probably qualify, but certainly not all. :p

It seems to me that this guy is probably just trying to be shocking.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I get 1:30 min of audio and then the clip resets. Clearly there is more to it. Why does it not play through?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Seyorni said:
I get 1:30 min of audio and then the clip resets. Clearly there is more to it. Why does it not play through?

Not sure, it played through for me The audio is about 7 minutes long.

Booko

Deviled Hen
MaddLlama said:
I think the bigger issue here is that I don't understand why some atheists have to go to great lengths to devalue and ridicule every religion out there. What's the point? It doesn't prove you're smarter than people who believe in a religion, all it proves is that you're insecure and obnoxious.
MaddLlama, the fact that you wrote the final sentence above proves that you actually do understand. :)

It's just so heartening to hear this guy is really just interested in talking to people. I'm sure that flinging insults, distorting facts, and dropping the f-bomb every sentence will do a lot to achieve his ends.

Circle_One

Where did the hell did this guy get his pictures for this video? Goth Kids R Us?

Why not meet some real Pagans next time, Brett so your next video can actually hold some sway rather than simply make you look like an ignorant bigot?

There's a video for ya: Ignorant, retarded bigots talk out their butts by Joanna Jaguar. Coming soon to a youtube near you. :D

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I don't know if Keane actually made the video, or if someone else did with his audio. But, whoever made the video was certainly...well...misinformed.

robtex

Veteran Member
MaddLlama said:
I don't know if Keane actually made the video, or if someone else did with his audio. But, whoever made the video was certainly...well...misinformed.

Brett did make the video. He makes all of his videos and they are under his profile. He is on a mission to show the short comings of Christianty. I have watched about a dozen of them. He is a de-converted evangelical Christian.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
robtex said:
Brett did make the video. He makes all of his videos and they are under his profile. He is on a mission to show the short comings of Christianty. I have watched about a dozen of them. He is a de-converted evangelical Christian.
Ok, I believe you. =) I don't much pay attention to youtube, so I didn't even think to look at the username it was under.

He seems to be misinformed about a lot of things, I noticed, in watching some of his other videos. I got particular amusement out of his little thing on the pronounciation of "Jesus" (apprently the greeks pronounced it like the Mexicans - hey-suus, which sounds similar to "hey, Zeus", therefore Jesus never existed). If he was a Christian before, he must have been a stupid one.
It's obvious that he didn't go out of his way to find mature, knowledgable Pagans for this "study" he was doing. I think he does what a lot of Christians do - he went into his "study" with a preconcieved notion of the immaturity of Pagans and cherry picked his subjects to fit with his views. It's incredibly easy to find some goth teenager hanging out in front of Hot Topic at the mall who will tell you why she thinks The Morrighan is so cool, but it actually takes effort to find people who take thier religious seriously and know what they're talking about. Same thing with Christianity, it's easy to find an extremeist, but not as easy to find someone who's normal. It'salso not that easy to find someone who is interested in talking to a complete stranger about thier religion.
Does the fact that this fad-type attitude is so prominent in Paganism say something bag about it? Not really. I think it just says that Paganism offers something that other faiths don't, and teenagers who are confused, or rebelling have an easy time latching onto it. People forget that as a teenager you think you know everything, but you really don't, and nothing is really all that serious.
Keane is just like a teenager, actually - he's angry, insecure, and thinks he knows everything about religion. Clearly, he doesn't know much of anything on the subject.

Heh, you know you're a smart and influential public speaker when your greatest work of intelligence can only be found on YouTube.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
wow, youtube is difficult to post a thesis on :p

you can only post 3 comments at a time, here is what i'm posting on there for the guy who posted that to respond to.

Me said:
1) there are a lot of what i call "fluffy bunnies" in the pagan religion, but if you actually look for a decent, established group, instead of people on the street, you will have better luck in your study of religion.

2) a lot of Pagans do not use illegal drugs - i myself being Pagan do not.

3) we don't contribute to society? we do our jobs, pay our taxes, keep our families, vote, what more are we obliged to do? form political parties? why? why is forming a politcal party a requirement for a religion to be valid? that point was bull.

4) candles? a lot of eastern religions use candles and incense, they are aids in meditative states - besides, how is the usage of candles a criticism of a religion? as a student of religious studies you should start to take a more empathic approach.

5) Pagan is an umbrella term for a variety of beliefs - Hinduism has a bigger variety of beliefs than Paganism does, you're not calling them idiots. most Pagans understand their personal beliefs and traditions, but not other traditions - why should i as a pagan study a tradition i'm not involved in?

6) Pagans attacked your respectful questions? from the sounds of it, i don't know what exact questions you asked, but it sounds like you heavily implied from your observations that they are just rebellious kids, and not at all serious about their religion - that would inflame me, perhaps you should concider this and attempt another study.

7) i have no objections to you asking "hard questions", the world needs skeptics and critics.

8) i completely agree with you that Christianity plagerised a lot of Paganism, but i would ask you not present Paganism as being basically Christianity because there are key differences - without going into massive detail on what i thought would be obvious, Christianity has One Triune God, Paganism can be Polytheistic or Pantheistic.

9) i didn't understand what you were getting at with your "i'm an atheist, so i can buy a car" argument... were you saying that because you are a skeptic, you aren't going to be suckered in by liers etc? if so, are you then saying that Pagans are naive and will accept anything? if so, i know a lot of Pagans who are down to earth, intelligent, skeptical individuals, my personal experiences and knowledge contradicts this point, if that was indeed the point you were making.

if you actually read this and think about it, thanks.

Mike - Pagan.

sparc872

Man oh man, it's people like this guy that give atheists a bad rap. I found it pretty hard to listen to the ignorance he was spouting off.

BFD_Zayl

*sigh* this is the third time this week my blood as felt like fire, c'mon people i don't have enough meds for this...and just alittle thing for Keane...GOTHS ARE NOT PAGANS YOU IGNORANT INEPTUS!!! *cough* ok im done....btw ineptus means fool in latin, just so ya know

Mike182

Flaming Queer
BFD_Zayl said:
*sigh* this is the third time this week my blood as felt like fire, c'mon people i don't have enough meds for this...and just alittle thing for Keane...GOTHS ARE NOT PAGANS YOU IGNORANT INEPTUS!!! *cough* ok im done....btw ineptus means fool in latin, just so ya know

the only possible connection between Goth culture and Paganism is that Goths are more open minded towards Paganism and the Occult than any other group, so a lot of people identify as both Pagan and Goth... but one does not necessitate the other, i too wish people would get that into their heads some times.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Mike182 said:
the only possible connection between Goth culture and Paganism is that Goths are more open minded towards Paganism and the Occult than any other group, so a lot of people identify as both Pagan and Goth... but one does not necessitate the other, i too wish people would get that into their heads some times.

I think the major problem is that people have a tendancy to base thier impression of a religion on the most visible group of people. For the Christians, it's the crazy Jerry Falwell type. For Pagans, it's the teeny-bopper, shock-value, wear-thier-religion-on-thier-sleeve and talk to everyone about it types.
Trouble is most of the people who could really give you information about thier religion look normal, and probably wouldn't be interested in participating in an interview like the one Kearne does. Any attempt to define Pagans as a group is an exercise in futility anyhow.