• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kai a Mod?

.lava

Veteran Member
what's the first book you read?

what do you like about your nation most?

what's the strangest word in English?

kai

ragamuffin
what's the first book you read?

what do you like about your nation most?

what's the strangest word in English?

The first book i can remember of any meaning to me was the decline and fall of the roman empire by Edward Gibbon and a still have this as a set of books that take pride of place on my bookshelf. I read history books as a small child and have continued ever since. I love history.

what do i like about my nation the most? There's lots, i suppose we have a dogged sense of determination when in a tight spot. A rich history, and a sense of fair play. I love england but i also love the strength of character that the union with Scotland ,Wales and Nireland gives us. ( I love all things Irish Too except maybe the IRA but hopefully thats in the past)

The strangest word? we have so many, there's words like "Bow", or Keep , the theres "Haberdashery" i like that one and "raggamuffin" lol whats the strangest word for you Lava ?because i have grown up with English as my first language.

.lava

Veteran Member
The strangest word? we have so many, there's words like "Bow", or Keep , the theres "Haberdashery" i like that one and "raggamuffin" lol whats the strangest word for you Lava ?because i have grown up with English as my first language.

since i read your reply, my strangest word might be haberdashery, Kai :D never heard of it before. in general i find technical terms strange. i've learned one today; lobotomy..that's strange. sounds like name of a game or something..."we played lobotomy, he could not make it" hehe

kai

ragamuffin
since i read your reply, my strangest word might be haberdashery, Kai :D never heard of it before. in general i find technical terms strange. i've learned one today; lobotomy..that's strange. sounds like name of a game or something..."we played lobotomy, he could not make it" hehe

Yes technical terms are strange , a lot of English is borrowed from French and Latin and German etc all mixed up and labelled English. A supplier of Haberdashery would be a "Haberdasher"
Haberdasher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.lava

Veteran Member
Yes technical terms are strange , a lot of English is borrowed from French and Latin and German etc all mixed up and labelled English.

it's the same with Turkish. not just technical ones, we have lots of words from French. we say "Alo" when we pick up the phone for example

do you speak French or any other language?

kai

ragamuffin
it's the same with Turkish. not just technical ones, we have lots of words from French. we say "Alo" when we pick up the phone for example

do you speak French or any other language?

Alo, Alo, Lava, no just a little here and there on my travels, the trouble with the British in that they expect everyone to speak English. But i think times are changing i notice the kids are learning more and more Languages these days.

.lava

Veteran Member
Alo, Alo, Lava, no just a little here and there on my travels, the trouble with the British in that they expect everyone to speak English. But i think times are changing i notice the kids are learning more and more Languages these days.

yea i notice that too. my nephew is learning both English and German at school. these kids would bring this world peace if you as me. language has always been a barrier between cultures. masses always depend on others to understand each other. so bunch of mean people could make millions hate each other. now there is internet, kids are getting smarter with each generation, no go-betweens needed. time is changing for better hopefully

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Kai on the mod squad. happy days. :yes:
Great having you on board mate, and sorry it took me so much time to get to this thread. :eek:

With the UK being a bastion for literature and music...
-Who are your favorite English writers and which classic English stories are your favorite? (im pretty sure no one asked that?)
-what were you doing when the Punk scene was born? and did you identify with any of the other scenes? :D
-What do you think of London?
-which parts of your nation's history are most relevant and interesting to you?
-Were you deployed outside the British isles as a member of the Parachute Regiment? if I recall, you were also in the middle east.

Last edited: