• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justifying your beliefs with other's holy books.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I've seen this occur in these forums, particularly with ideas of Jesus. I've seen Christians trying to use the Quran to prove that Jesus died on the cross, that he was resurrected, and that he was God. I've seen Muslims try to use the Bible to prove that Jesus didn't die on the cross and was thus never resurrected.

Is doing so simply out of arrogance? Why do they waste their time?

xkatz

Is doing so simply out of arrogance?

It depends. If they try to prove their point so they can claim they way of life or their beliefs are the only right ones, then yes it would be out of arrogance. If they do as a way to understand their and other people's beliefs, then it wouldn't be arrogant necessarily.

Why do they waste their time?

To try to justify what they believe to themselves and others.

Viinasu

maybe they think that if another's holy book says it too, everything they say is surely the only correct way to think? O.e that often seems to be the case...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I've seen this occur in these forums, particularly with ideas of Jesus. I've seen Christians trying to use the Quran to prove that Jesus died on the cross, that he was resurrected, and that he was God. I've seen Muslims try to use the Bible to prove that Jesus didn't die on the cross and was thus never resurrected.

Is doing so simply out of arrogance? Why do they waste their time?
It's the consistency trap. If you can set up an arrangement where conclusion B (e.g. "Jesus didn't die on the cross") necessarily flows from premise A (e.g. "the Bible is correct"), then you can make out a person who accepts premise A but not conclusion B as being inconsistent with their beliefs. This puts social pressure on the person to accept conclusion B, because premise A is usually selected to be something that the person has a lot of personal investment in.

It's the same technique that some salespeople use: "you want to keep your family safe? Well, this is the safest car on the road today; if you don't buy it, you don't really value your family's safety."

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I have no problem with people seeing their own teachings mirrored in other religions' texts; in fact, I do so myself. But using such mirrors in a debate isn't a good idea, in my opinion, because wisdom is fairly universal; it's not surprising to me that different, unrelated cultures would discover the same wisdom.

BruceDLimber

Some of us, such as Baha'is, recognize and respect other religions' scriptures as legitimate and of God, and therefore frequently refer to them and quote them!

Peace, :)

Bruce

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I have no problem with people looking to other religious scripture to find meaning, or to learn from them. My problem is when, for instance, they try to prove that the Bible says that Jesus never died on the cross, even though the Bible states that extremely clearly.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I have no problem with people looking to other religious scripture to find meaning, or to learn from them. My problem is when, for instance, they try to prove that the Bible says that Jesus never died on the cross, even though the Bible states that extremely clearly.

Yeah, that I, too, have a problem with.

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.
This really bugs me. Ether way we both think each other's book is corrupt so wh6y use it in the first place?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
This really bugs me. Ether way we both think each other's book is corrupt so wh6y use it in the first place?

Hey, try this: I'm aware that there's problems in my own Books. ^_^

Doesn't mean I can't use them or find great wisdom in them.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Hey, try this: I'm aware that there's problems in my own Books. ^_^

Doesn't mean I can't use them or find great wisdom in them.
I have the same sentiments. I personally don't have one book I subscribe to, but I think the majority of religious texts do have some wisdom that can be taken from them.

dogsgod

Yes, The Bible states a lot of things extremely clearly and yet there are those that doubt, but they don't know what they are talking about.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Yes, The Bible states a lot of things extremely clearly and yet there are those that doubt, but they don't know what they are talking about.
Do you have a point or is this just another one of your attempts to act like a child? It really is getting old.