• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justice or mercy

What's more important?

• Justice

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Mercy

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Justice & Mercy are equal

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters

jewscout

Religious Zionist
evearael said:
What's more important, justice or mercy?

(Let me see if I can figure out how the poll stuff works :) )

ooo that's a tough one...

but i think i'll have to go w/ Justice.

(now all i can think of is Sealab and Murphy saing "D-cups full of Justice")

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i voted both are equal, but that's not quite what i think.

i think both are important, and i think that a lot of ill can be done in the name of "justice", as justice is a point of view - so i would not want justice without mercy

but at the same time, i feel justice should be carried out

Scott1

I don't think one is "more important" than the other, but I believe that God's mercy trumps God's justice.

For example: 2 Chr 36:14-16,19-23.... God was not willing to let the covenant with his people end in destruction, but showed his mercy with the new begining offered by Cyrus who rebuilt the temple and restored Jerusalem even after the sinfulness of Israel.

... and others:D

Praise our Merciful Father!
Scott

lunamoth

Will to love
Mercy hands down. Clearly we need to do our best to be just, but in the end only God is truely just. We are so fallible, and our interpersonal relationships so complex, that we are better off sticking to mercy whenever possible.

Plus what Scott said. :)

2 c,
lunamoth

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Scott1 said:
I don't think one is "more important" than the other, but I believe that God's mercy trumps God's justice.

For example: 2 Chr 36:14-16,19-23.... God was not willing to let the covenant with his people end in destruction, but showed his mercy with the new begining offered by Cyrus who rebuilt the temple and restored Jerusalem even after the sinfulness of Israel.

... and others:D

Praise our Merciful Father!
Scott

I'm going to be lazy and say I agree all the way with Scott's statement! :) Thanks Scott!

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Call me a bleedin-heart, I voted mercy. :D
Actually, both are necessary, but a world without enough justice is not quite as horrendous as a world without enough mercy.

Daibhidh

Part of me would have really liked to deem mercy above all else. Better judgment, however -if you'll pardon the pun- got the better of me. I have voted for Mercy and Judgment as equalls.

well i thank you forgot what they are used for; what is justice or marcy without law... and then you can't have justice without punishment. and you can't have marcy without justice and punishment. so you need all equal to each other. the attonment of Christ to appise justice to proform marcy from the punishment from the laws of god.

Adstar

evearael said:
What's more important, justice or mercy?

(Let me see if I can figure out how the poll stuff works :) )

It seems that you are thinking that the two are some how in competition. But that is not the way to think about the two.

It is Justice to have mercy on those who regret their wrongdoings. Mercy is a part of Justice. They are not incompatible at all.:)

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

i know that they are elements to the attonment of christ. you can't have one without the other. but you need to know what you are being judge on to recive justice and you can't have marcy without a punishment.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Justice and mercy are both important, and are best kept in balance. (And it behooves us fallible humans not to get carried away, esp. in the justice dept.)

MERCY AND JUSTICE

The foundation of the Kingdom of God is laid upon justice, fairness, mercy, sympathy and kindness to every soul. Then strive ye with heart and soul to practice love and kindness to the world of humanity at large, except to those souls who are selfish and insincere. It is not advisable to show kindness to a person who is a tyrant, a traitor or a thief because kindness encourages him to become worse and does not awaken him. The more kindness you show to a liar the more he is apt to lie, for he thinks that you know not, while you do know, but extreme kindness keeps you from revealing your knowledge.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 412)