• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just Who Are You????

Bird123

Our actions and choices tell who we are. Who are you? Do you want Hell to exist? Do you want to control the actions of others? Do you want to intimidate the actions of others? Do you want to coerce others to your way of thinking or beliefs? Do you want to punish or condemn others? Do you want to judge others? Do you want to be better than others? If you have been hurt by others, do you want God to payback or punish those who have hurt you? Do you place money or possessions over people? Are you selfish? Do you want to be somebody famous or important? Do you think that you aren't? Do you think you are flawed from birth? Are you really that bad? Is the rest of the world bad in your view? Has your view been corrupted by religion?

Yes, there is always another side. Do you see goodness in everyone? Do you nurture that goodness? Do you Love others Unconditionally, thereby your choices and actions are in the best interest of others? Do you teach and help those around you to Learn and Grow? Do you lift the spirits of everyone when you enter a room sharing your love and giving hope? Are you selfless and serving the needs of others?

Just who are you??? We each have the ability to Define who we are through our Actions and Choices. Are our actions and choices really who we want to be???

Sanzbir

Our actions and choices tell who we are. Who are you? Do you want Hell to exist? Do you want to control the actions of others? Do you want to intimidate the actions of others? Do you want to coerce others to your way of thinking or beliefs? Do you want to punish or condemn others? Do you want to judge others? Do you want to be better than others? If you have been hurt by others, do you want God to payback or punish those who have hurt you? Do you place money or possessions over people? Are you selfish? Do you want to be somebody famous or important? Do you think that you aren't? Do you think you are flawed from birth? Are you really that bad? Is the rest of the world bad in your view? Has your view been corrupted by religion?

Yes, there is always another side. Do you see goodness in everyone? Do you nurture that goodness? Do you Love others Unconditionally, thereby your choices and actions are in the best interest of others? Do you teach and help those around you to Learn and Grow? Do you lift the spirits of everyone when you enter a room sharing your love and giving hope? Are you selfless and serving the needs of others?

Just who are you??? We each have the ability to Define who we are through our Actions and Choices. Are our actions and choices really who we want to be???

Lots of questions. Might be fun.

I am me.

I want Hell, at least in the Baha'i understanding, to exist. People should have a choice to distance themselves from God if they wish.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

Who is to say what is better or worse?? By what standards are we measuring??

No.

No.

No

No.

No.

No.

No.

The world is perfect as is.

Corrupted?? No.

No. Good or bad, who is to say??

No. Absolute benevolence is not benevolent.

Yes.

Maybe.

Maybe.

I said already. I am me.

How am I to know what the collective "we" desires to be??

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
OK, it's seriously raining outside and I'm still waking up... I'll bite.

Our actions and choices tell who we are.
To a point, yes, but more to the point, they tell us more about the kind of person we are which is not necessarily who we are given the limited range of choices available.

Who are you?
A warm blooded human animal, hopefully, similar to yourself.

Do you want Hell to exist? Do you want to control the actions of others?
No and no.

Do you want to intimidate the actions of others?
What is this supposed to mean?

Do you want to coerce others to your way of thinking or beliefs?
Not especially, though I am a fairly persuasive speaker, especially in person. I prefer dialogue and am a good listener. I'm not impressed by people who just fold to whatever I am saying, especially if I am being deliberately controversial.

Do you want to punish or condemn others?
Not as a rule, no. It's a merit thingy, really.

Do you want to judge others?
Um, we are always using our personal judgment when dealing with others. I'm not so sure it is possible to suspend personal judgment. Being judgmental is quite another thing and should not be encouraged.

Do you want to be better than others?
There are many things I am very good at and I do mean, very good. However, I understand that there will always be someone who does something better. So, I'm happy doing the best that I can, time permitting. I try to live my life by the idea that each moment may be my last on this small planet. That helps to keep me mindful.

If you have been hurt by others, do you want God to payback or punish those who have hurt you?
Um, no. Just, no. I don't need god, thanks.

Do you place money or possessions over people? Are you selfish?
Not especially. IF you came to liberate my stuff from my grimy little mitts though you might have to expect some push back. Don't expect me to say, "Help yourself!"

Do you want to be somebody famous or important?
No, I'm good.

Do you think that you aren't?
I am important to those around me. I'm that proverbial rock you can always count on. That shoulder you can always cry on (as long as you bring a towel).

Do you think you are flawed from birth?
Um, nope. Should I?

Are you really that bad?
I can be naughty, but no, I'm not bad. Bad to the bone. :)

Is the rest of the world bad in your view?
Nope, it's actually a pretty neat place.

Has your view been corrupted by religion?
How so? I have read a lot but never inhaled. OK, OK, OK.... there was that one time, but I was still young. I eventually got over it. Happy?

Yes, there is always another side.
We is so multi-faceted, ain't we? :) (Intentional typo for those in the slow lane.)

Do you see goodness in everyone?
For the most part, yes. I do realize that there are monsters among us however but, they too, are part of the human psyche.

Do you nurture that goodness?
I try. It depends how thick the recipient is however. It is my over-riding goal to promote growth.

Do you Love others Unconditionally, thereby your choices and actions are in the best interest of others?
Heavens no. I think this version of so-called unconditional love is actually a bit loopy. I like to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brain rolls out. I do not normally perform actions that are destructive to those around me, period. I'm a bit boring in that respect.

Do you teach and help those around you to Learn and Grow?
Absolutely.

Do you lift the spirits of everyone when you enter a room sharing your love and giving hope?
Yeah, you can almost hear the harps and sitars playing. :) I'm a walking laugh factory.

Are you selfless and serving the needs of others?
Not especially. I'm not a waiter for Pete's sake.

Just who are you???
A small human animal with a megawatt smile.

We each have the ability to Define who we are through our Actions and Choices. Are our actions and choices really who we want to be???
Yep. Wanna buy my book?

Laika

Premium Member
Who are you?

tenor.gif

Do you want Hell to exist?

No.

Do you want to control the actions of others?

Yes. preferably by persuasion though. Its not something I really seek out.

No.

No.

No.

No.

Yes. But more as an unintended consequence of working hard and doing things that are really productive and creative.

If you have been hurt by others, do you want God to payback or punish those who have hurt you?

Ideally No. Only in rare exceptions where they clear desire to hurt me or others. then its not something I can really ignore. (I don't believe in God, but some sense of "cosmic justice" will do).

Do you place money or possessions over people?

Typically I value people more than money or possessions. But it depends.

Are you selfish?

Yes. I'd like to be more so as I think it would make me much happier than being a people pleaser.

Sort of tempting yes. Pretty unlikely though.

Important, Yes. Famous, No. I think I could do something important if I keep working at it and take more chances. I am important to myself even if not to others.

No.

Are you really that bad?

I really hope so. It would make me so much more interesting. :D

It looks pretty ****ed honestly, yes. It may pull through.

Yes. I'd want to be less inhibited and I think many of those inhibitions originate from living in a religion (mainly christian) culture.

Bird123

Lots of questions. Might be fun.

I am me.

I want Hell, at least in the Baha'i understanding, to exist. People should have a choice to distance themselves from God if they wish.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

Who is to say what is better or worse?? By what standards are we measuring??

No.

No.

No

No.

No.

No.

No.

The world is perfect as is.

Corrupted?? No.

No. Absolute benevolence is not benevolent.

Yes.

Maybe.

Maybe.

I said already. I am me.

How am I to know what the collective "we" desires to be??

Standards? Each decides what is best or worse for themselves. In time, if one experiences their own choices, in time one will make the best choices. Intelligence will choose the best over the worse.

Bird123

OK, it's seriously raining outside and I'm still waking up... I'll bite.

To a point, yes, but more to the point, they tell us more about the kind of person we are which is not necessarily who we are given the limited range of choices available.

A warm blooded human animal, hopefully, similar to yourself.

No and no.

What is this supposed to mean?

Not especially, though I am a fairly persuasive speaker, especially in person. I prefer dialogue and am a good listener. I'm not impressed by people who just fold to whatever I am saying, especially if I am being deliberately controversial.

Not as a rule, no. It's a merit thingy, really.

Um, we are always using our personal judgment when dealing with others. I'm not so sure it is possible to suspend personal judgment. Being judgmental is quite another thing and should not be encouraged.

There are many things I am very good at and I do mean, very good. However, I understand that there will always be someone who does something better. So, I'm happy doing the best that I can, time permitting. I try to live my life by the idea that each moment may be my last on this small planet. That helps to keep me mindful.

Um, no. Just, no. I don't need god, thanks.

Not especially. IF you came to liberate my stuff from my grimy little mitts though you might have to expect some push back. Don't expect me to say, "Help yourself!"

No, I'm good.

I am important to those around me. I'm that proverbial rock you can always count on. That shoulder you can always cry on (as long as you bring a towel).

Um, nope. Should I?

I can be naughty, but no, I'm not bad. Bad to the bone. :)

Nope, it's actually a pretty neat place.

How so? I have read a lot but never inhaled. OK, OK, OK.... there was that one time, but I was still young. I eventually got over it. Happy?

We is so multi-faceted, ain't we? :) (Intentional typo for those in the slow lane.)

For the most part, yes. I do realize that there are monsters among us however but, they too, are part of the human psyche.

I try. It depends how thick the recipient is however. It is my over-riding goal to promote growth.

Heavens no. I think this version of so-called unconditional love is actually a bit loopy. I like to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brain rolls out. I do not normally perform actions that are destructive to those around me, period. I'm a bit boring in that respect.

Absolutely.

Yeah, you can almost hear the harps and sitars playing. :) I'm a walking laugh factory.

Not especially. I'm not a waiter for Pete's sake.

A small human animal with a megawatt smile.

Yep. Wanna buy my book?

Yes, I'm a bit of a Rock in my world as well.

As I see it, we are all here but to serve others. I think you do just that more than you realize. Takers fight and struggle to get. They do not realize those that give generally get more returning than a taker could ever acquire.

Bird123

tenor.gif

No.

Yes. preferably by persuasion though. Its not something I really seek out.

No.

No.

No.

No.

Yes. But more as an unintended consequence of working hard and doing things that are really productive and creative.

Ideally No. Only in rare exceptions where they clear desire to hurt me or others. then its not something I can really ignore. (I don't believe in God, but some sense of "cosmic justice" will do).

Typically I value people more than money or possessions. But it depends.

Yes. I'd like to be more so as I think it would make me much happier than being a people pleaser.

Sort of tempting yes. Pretty unlikely though.

Important, Yes. Famous, No. I think I could do something important if I keep working at it and take more chances. I am important to myself even if not to others.

No.

I really hope so. It would make me so much more interesting. :D

It looks pretty ****ed honestly, yes. It may pull through.

Yes. I'd want to be less inhibited and I think many of those inhibitions originate from living in a religion (mainly christian) culture.

I think interaction among people is a key part of learning in this world. On the other hand I think allowing them freedom to choose regardless is an important factor. That is why I think people's attempt to control others is not the thing to do.

I guess when people hurt me, I do not think of punishment or revenge. I think what can I do to fix the problem they have that would allow them to make such a bad choice. Since true intelligence always makes the best choice, something is missing in their education.

You say you value people more than money or possessions, however then you say it depends. I wonder what it depends upon.

Yes, I find that religion has corrupted the thinking of many. Lessons learned as a child can hang in there even after one realizes it's not the truth. As I see it, religion is one of the reasons people see the world and it's people as so very bad. Since I value goodness over bad. I tend to see the goodness that does exist all around in this world.

A Vestigial Mote

Our actions and choices tell who we are. Who are you?
Dust in the wind dude.

I get where you're coming from in asking this, but I doubt many will outwardly admit "yes" here. I, personally, do not.

No. I'd just like to see some others exert a bit more control over themselves. But do I want to be responsible for them? Hell no.

Poor phrasing, but I get it... and no.

This is a bit stickier. I do NOT want to coerce, of course, however, as an atheist, I do strive to get people to question things that I deem fantasy by getting them to understand why I believe they are fantasy. No coercion necessary, I don't feel... just good, old-fashioned thinking.

I have to admit to being under the influence of certain moods at times that have me desiring to see people get a stiff smack. But "condemn?" Not at all. Live and let live... smacked or not.

I wouldn't say I want to... but I do. We all do.

I only ever want to be better than myself.

This is not applicable to me, an atheist.

Nope. Not even close. Not even close to close.

Are you selfish?
Nope again.

I am assuming you mean in the community/communal sense, so no. Over-rated. Makes no difference. Neither "fame" nor "importance."

Aren't what? Important? Or famous? I know I'm not famous... and I am important to a select few people who choose to participate in my life... the way things usually go for people, which is more than fine by me.

No. Ideas don't get much dumber than that one in my opinion.

Are you really that bad?
When compared to what?

People can suck pretty hard quite a bit of the time, but no... overall the world is an amazing/wonderful place.

I don't waste my time assimilating religion into my "self." I spend a lot more time questioning others' perceptions of religion and mentally validating or invalidating them, and learning what I can use to further hone those processes while I am at it.

I try to. People always initially get the benefit of the doubt with me.

I could do this more. I do so in those closest to me, but rarely outwardly into the world. And I would say there is usually always some good in a person that could be amplified. Takes quite a bit of work to get to the point that you understand a person well enough to identify this though.

Do you Love others Unconditionally, thereby your choices and actions are in the best interest of others?
I'm with some of the others who have replied on this one... it is too high a demand, and not at all practical. As soon as someone fails me when our relationship is in its infancy, they get conditions placed on how much I reciprocate going forward until they re-prove themselves and re-establish trust. It would be unhealthy to simply always forgive and forget everything. I'd call that state "naivete" or "gullibility."

Of course. Anyone willing to listen, that is.

Do you lift the spirits of everyone when you enter a room sharing your love and giving hope?
I don't do this. Sounds nice... but I am one to sit out the first several minutes and assess the situation before becoming comfortable around people.

The needs of those that I love, yes. There are simply too many people with needs to just hand out all of myself all of the time. I then wouldn't be able to give as much to those that I love, and I don't know that I could abide by that.

Just who are you???
I believe I am a cohesive community of living cells that has been granted the privilege of "consciousness" - taking advantage of a long, involved history of evolutionary accretion. I am the captain/pilot of my community, just as you are the captain/pilot of yours. We're here to make sure things don't go awry while all the other cells go about the business of keeping "us" alive. It just so happens that my consciousness is strong enough to contemplate abstract concepts and so I do, and use that ability to the benefit of myself and my loved ones.

We each have the ability to Define who we are through our Actions and Choices. Are our actions and choices really who we want to be???
I'm okay with my choices and actions. I live in the now, the moment, with only the essence and learning of the past moving forward with me - I try not to sweat the details. Always learning, always re-evaluating and examining my own behaviors and motivations, adjusting when necessary.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

What do I want? A day without pain and the ability to get a full night's rest.

How do I see other people? Folks just trying to get through life the best they can with what they got.

I like to solve problems and help others when I get the chance. However I don't want to impose my presence where it's not needed.

I like to question what I believe to be true and tend to encourage other folks to do the same.

The RF forums lets other folks question/test my ideas in ways I might not have come up with myself.

Bird123

Dust in the wind dude.

I get where you're coming from in asking this, but I doubt many will outwardly admit "yes" here. I, personally, do not.

No. I'd just like to see some others exert a bit more control over themselves. But do I want to be responsible for them? Hell no.

Poor phrasing, but I get it... and no.

This is a bit stickier. I do NOT want to coerce, of course, however, as an atheist, I do strive to get people to question things that I deem fantasy by getting them to understand why I believe they are fantasy. No coercion necessary, I don't feel... just good, old-fashioned thinking.

I have to admit to being under the influence of certain moods at times that have me desiring to see people get a stiff smack. But "condemn?" Not at all. Live and let live... smacked or not.

I wouldn't say I want to... but I do. We all do.

I only ever want to be better than myself.

This is not applicable to me, an atheist.

Nope. Not even close. Not even close to close.

Nope again.

I am assuming you mean in the community/communal sense, so no. Over-rated. Makes no difference. Neither "fame" nor "importance."

Aren't what? Important? Or famous? I know I'm not famous... and I am important to a select few people who choose to participate in my life... the way things usually go for people, which is more than fine by me.

No. Ideas don't get much dumber than that one in my opinion.

When compared to what?

People can suck pretty hard quite a bit of the time, but no... overall the world is an amazing/wonderful place.

I don't waste my time assimilating religion into my "self." I spend a lot more time questioning others' perceptions of religion and mentally validating or invalidating them, and learning what I can use to further hone those processes while I am at it.

I try to. People always initially get the benefit of the doubt with me.

I could do this more. I do so in those closest to me, but rarely outwardly into the world. And I would say there is usually always some good in a person that could be amplified. Takes quite a bit of work to get to the point that you understand a person well enough to identify this though.

I'm with some of the others who have replied on this one... it is too high a demand, and not at all practical. As soon as someone fails me when our relationship is in its infancy, they get conditions placed on how much I reciprocate going forward until they re-prove themselves and re-establish trust. It would be unhealthy to simply always forgive and forget everything. I'd call that state "naivete" or "gullibility."

Of course. Anyone willing to listen, that is.

I don't do this. Sounds nice... but I am one to sit out the first several minutes and assess the situation before becoming comfortable around people.

The needs of those that I love, yes. There are simply too many people with needs to just hand out all of myself all of the time. I then wouldn't be able to give as much to those that I love, and I don't know that I could abide by that.

I believe I am a cohesive community of living cells that has been granted the privilege of "consciousness" - taking advantage of a long, involved history of evolutionary accretion. I am the captain/pilot of my community, just as you are the captain/pilot of yours. We're here to make sure things don't go awry while all the other cells go about the business of keeping "us" alive. It just so happens that my consciousness is strong enough to contemplate abstract concepts and so I do, and use that ability to the benefit of myself and my loved ones.

I'm okay with my choices and actions. I live in the now, the moment, with only the essence and learning of the past moving forward with me - I try not to sweat the details. Always learning, always re-evaluating and examining my own behaviors and motivations, adjusting when necessary.

Unconditional Love and acting in the best interest of others doesn't always have to take a lot of work. It could be as simple as a kind word or merely pointing them in the right direction.

As for making people re-prove themselves, why must that be necessary? Give them the great opportunity to be trustworthy. Instead of making it about you or giving up on them, the interaction with someone like yourself who is trustworthy might be a turning point in their lives. They learn how it should be.

I like that you said that you question. To question is the start on the journey to Discovery. Seems too many people just blindly accept beliefs without a desire to discover the real truth.

Bird123

What do I want? A day without pain and the ability to get a full night's rest.

How do I see other people? Folks just trying to get through life the best they can with what they got.

I like to solve problems and help others when I get the chance. However I don't want to impose my presence where it's not needed.

I like to question what I believe to be true and tend to encourage other folks to do the same.

The RF forums lets other folks question/test my ideas in ways I might not have come up with myself.

As I see it, interaction is key to so much learning and growing in this world. Aiding that process should never be considered an imposition. I find so many people fight to avoid Drama at all cost, and yet most of the learning happens around that Drama.

Sorry to hear you are in pain. Pain is no more than a sign something is wrong. On the other hand, some problems can be a challenge.

As for sleeping, it always helps if one is tired. Lots of physical activity really helps one sleep. Next, have you tried using white noise? At first it will be hard to get used to the noise but in time it makes things better. If you go to bed at the exact same time every night and are using that white noise, you will reach a point where it will signal your body to sleep. The noise will also help drown out other noises in the house. In my case, the neighbor's dog.

When I traveled in the past, I could never sleep in the motels, strange place, strange bed, strange room. Did you know that with the white noise, I can sleep anywhere. With the right time and right noise, I'm sleeping.

Of course, one must be careful driving on long trips. The hum of the engine can come close to the white noise and I can become sleepy.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
As I see it, interaction is key to so much learning and growing in this world. Aiding that process should never be considered an imposition. I find so many people fight to avoid Drama at all cost, and yet most of the learning happens around that Drama.

Sorry to hear you are in pain. Pain is no more than a sign something is wrong. On the other hand, some problems can be a challenge.

As for sleeping, it always helps if one is tired. Lots of physical activity really helps one sleep. Next, have you tried using white noise? At first it will be hard to get used to the noise but in time it makes things better. If you go to bed at the exact same time every night and are using that white noise, you will reach a point where it will signal your body to sleep. The noise will also help drown out other noises in the house. In my case, the neighbor's dog.

When I traveled in the past, I could never sleep in the motels, strange place, strange bed, strange room. Did you know that with the white noise, I can sleep anywhere. With the right time and right noise, I'm sleeping.

Of course, one must be careful driving on long trips. The hum of the engine can come close to the white noise and I can become sleepy.

Thanks for the advice. I have spinal arthritis. Hard to sleep when lying down is painful. I distract myself so can usually block out the pain. My activity is generally walking from one chair to the next closest chair. Their going to try to burn out the nerves in the area so maybe things will get better.

Some drama is ok. Sometimes though the drama folks create for themselves is just kind of, well stupid. So let's say I prefer to avoid stupid drama.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay...I'll play.

Who are you?

I simply am.

It's of no consequence to me. I have no intention of visiting.

Not even a little, unless, of course, I employ them.

Apologies for answering a question with a question, but I'm unclear on what you are trying to communicate here. How does on intimidate action?

Not at all.

No.

No.

"Be" better? No. "Do" better? Yes.

Do I want God to do this? No. But I do believe in causality.

Only when it's raining and I want to keep them dry.

Are you selfish?

No.

I already am.

See my answer to your first question.

No.

Are you really that bad?

Unable to answer. This question presumes I'm bad, and I don't consider myself to be.

The rest? No. Portions. Yes.

No. I see everything that is in my view just fine.

I do my best to. I've had occasion where it's just not there.

When found, yes.

Based on your definition in this context, yes.

Only if they choose to do so.

I cannot answer how others perceive me intelligently.

Not exclusively.

Just who are you???

We? I'm afraid I can't answer for you. But I can say they are for me.

Now what do I win?

DavidFirth

Okay...I'll play.

I simply am.

It's of no consequence to me. I have no intention of visiting.

Not even a little, unless, of course, I employ them.

Apologies for answering a question with a question, but I'm unclear on what you are trying to communicate here. How does on intimidate action?

Not at all.

No.

No.

"Be" better? No. "Do" better? Yes.

Do I want God to do this? No. But I do believe in causality.

Only when it's raining and I want to keep them dry.

No.

I already am.

No.

Unable to answer. This question presumes I'm bad, and I don't consider myself to be.

The rest? No. Portions. Yes.

No. I see everything that is in my view just fine.

I do my best to. I've had occasion where it's just not there.

When found, yes.

Based on your definition in this context, yes.

Only if they choose to do so.

I cannot answer how others perceive me intelligently.

Not exclusively.

We? I'm afraid I can't answer for you. But I can say they are for me.

Now what do I win?

Who are you? by The Who
But we ran out of CDs. Will you settle for an 8 track tape?