• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just seems a bit ironic.

kdrier

Revolutionist
edit: I started to rant a little, got a little frustrated with the people I was bashing.

Seems as though people get really defensive when people like myself use their opinion as a means of justification for their beliefs. I love debating and like to hear what people think, it's just frustrating when my opinion is treated nonexistant because I can't back it up with proof or evidence. It's a forum and I think opinion is a major factor in debates and arguments

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
kdrier said:
I came to this site as an Agnostic looking for a few answers and hopefully find a few enlightened individuals as far as spirituality goes, only to find a good portion of the site is inhabited by Atheist Homosexuals.
Well obviously you haven't explored the site very well then, or you would have noticed that some of our most enlightened members are atheists, homosexuals or both.

Why do you have a problem with homosexual people standing up for themselves in the face of bigotry?

kdrier

Revolutionist
yea, I guess I haven't explored it very well. It's cool and all defending what you believe, I just think some people take it too far with people that are obviously not going to budge. that's like me trying to convince the pope to turn atheist.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Wow. Perhaps you should lurk more and read some of the discussions here before making such sweeping generalizations.This forum is for everyone, regardless of their religion or sexuality, to discuss and debate things in a civil manner.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I came to this site as an Agnostic looking for a few answers and hopefully find a few enlightened individuals as far as spirituality goes, only to find a good portion of the site is inhabited by Atheist Homosexuals. Just seems ironic how people who don't believe in any religion are posting on a religious forum, knowing most of society is christian and against them. Just reinforces my idea that gay people love to start fires.

Nice generalization. Did you stop to think that maybe you see so much of these homosexuals because people like you make ignorant, generalizing, prejudiced statements about them? Lately there has been a lot of that. There is a big mix of people here. I think it's funny that you imply that atheistic homosexuals and enlightened individuals as far as spirituality goes are mutually exclusive. I also think it's funny when people think it's ironic that atheists would be on a rerligious forum. Religion is an interesting topic. Everyone can discuss it. By your logic, it's ironic when you discuss Hinduism or any other religion you don't believe in.

Funny how they also throw down anyone who uses their "opinions" and "beliefs" as a means of justificaion for their ideals on such a forum, as opposed to statistics, which are obviously always true and unbiased.

I don't even know what you're talking about here.

What do gays want? human rights and acceptance right? Well maybe they should accept that most of the population is some form of christian and while some of them can accept homosexuals in society, they probably don't agree with it 100%. People are always going to believe what they have experienced, and what their individual life as shown them, it's very unlikely they will be convinced someone on the internet. like water and oil, gays and straights can probably fit in the same jar, but they will probably never mix too well.

This forum alone is a prime example. I'm not against gays, I'm against gays that are always trying to prove something, and can't agree to disagree.

They want to be treated as humans. Why is that so much to ask? No, the world is not completely accepting of them right now. That's why they are so vocal. See how you answered your own question? If they weren't so vocal, nothing would change, and they would continue to be treated badly.

Why doesn't your last sentence read "I'm not against gays, I'm against people that are always trying to prove something, and can't agree to disagree"? Is that an attribute that you only find offensive in gay people, or is it just something you find offensive in any person?

kdrier

Revolutionist
I like relaxed homosexuals who are not out for blood, and can attempt to understand my opinions and debate them on a conversational level.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I like relaxed homosexuals who are not out for blood, and can attempt to understand my opinions and debate them on a conversational level.

You just have to realize how hard that is when you make personal attacks on them. If I said that something inherent about you was bad and wrong and reason enough for me to treat you as non-human, wouldn't you be offended and defend yourself?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Me, too. I also like relaxed heterosexuals, Buddhists, cats, and cell phones who are not out for blood, either.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
yup, I agree.
Something to keep in mind as well, is that some of those threads are responsive to people who feel the need to confront and attack other people in ways that are all but guaranteed to get a passionate response. I'm neither "atheist" nor gay, but I count many people who are, here at RF, among my friends. If someone wants to project their own psychological baggage onto my friends and try to insult or hurt them, they will get a response.

kdrier

Revolutionist
mball I agree with on on some aspects, and maybe I took it too far, I just hate people who go crazy soon as you disagree with something they do or believe in, these people, based on my experience here, have been gay or atheist. I don't usually make personal attacks, and I always back what I think with my opinion, which is always shun upon.

I've had a few debades with gay people on the forums that have been very low profile, to the point, and have been eductionals, most of them have not even been close. I guess you have good with the bad. I just don't like when people get so defensive.

You can say your opinion about me and I will take it like a grain of sand, I won't explode, and I will say my veiw on the subject.

kdrier

Revolutionist
Tell the truth, have you actually had very many relaxed conversations where you discuss somebody else’s sexuality in a negative way?

But see I don't discuss it in a negative way, I'm not homophobic or anything, I just have not had very good debates with gay people. I've had a few where they would start out nice and calm but as soon as I started saying my opinion it was like the cold war

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

You know, I've been on this board for a few months now and I've yet to see this horde of frothing, militant homosexuals you speak of.

people don't wanna accept that they are trown on 1 pile like all black guys play base all gays are crazy so they speak up but ofcourse if just 1 side talks you can't have a debate just a comformation so everyone from everywhere should be allowed to speak but that would lead to chaos so all things about religion and lack of it are discused here

kdrier

Revolutionist
Yea, maybe your right, I just see a lot of homosexual threads, and I don't know any homosexual people so I'm trying to understand them more. Maybe I'm taking it to personally or something. I just have not been on too many threads I guess, I always seem to get caught up on one where homosexuals and anti-gay people are going crazy. I'll tell you what though, I have seen a lot of really crazy religious people on here too, which I don't blame the gays for tearing them up.

I speak of personal opinions and experience, and I just want to debate as such, it's not like I'm running for president.

Khale

only to find a good portion of the site is inhabited by Atheist Homosexuals.
Maybe you are looking at a different site than myself. Granted, it's been a while since I was consistently active on these forums, but I always seemed to remember a good mix of a great number of faiths.

knowing most of society is christian and against them.
Most of society is not Christian and even less of society is against "them."

Just reinforces my idea that gay people love to start fires.
What of those on this and other boards who present equally, if not more, inflammatory topics? At what point does stating your beliefs become arson?

What do gays want? human rights and acceptance right?
Seems like a reasonable request.

Well maybe they should accept that most of the population is some form of christian and while some of them can accept homosexuals in society, they probably don't agree with it 100%.
I am willing to concede that there are people who don't actively encourage or agree with homosexuality. This does not mean that homosexuals should stop speaking their mind. If someone thinks differently than you should you give up on your rights as human being?

like water and oil, gays and straights can probably fit in the same jar, but they will probably never mix too well.
Awfully pessimistic of you don't you think? The same could have been said at one point of Women, blacks, Catholics, Asians, or any other number of groups. In time homosexuality will be as acceptable as any of them. It's a lengthy process.

This forum alone is a prime example. I'm not against gays, I'm against gays that are always trying to prove something,
What are gays always trying to prove? That they should be accepted as normal members of society? If that's the case, can you really begrudge them that?

and can't agree to disagree.
Agreeing to disagree is, quite frankly, bunk. You are essentially saying that another persons argument isn't even worth an afterthought and will be disregarded without a care. Willful ignorance is one of the greatest failings of mankind.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Perhaps the best thing to do is to allow yourself opportunities to get to know homosexuals in real life. :yes:

It's OK. Really. You don't catch cooties from homosexuals or lesbians. Ya gotta be careful with those crazy bisexuals, though.........:D

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
But see I don't discuss it in a negative way, I'm not homophobic or anything, I just have not had very good debates with gay people. I've had a few where they would start out nice and calm but as soon as I started saying my opinion it was like the cold war
I am not suggesting that you are homophobic, I thought you were quite reasonable in the recent threads on the topic. To be fair I think you may have been the victim of bad timing. I think you walked into a very heated thread where people were launching some very vicious and ridiculous attacks. And it is just not always that easy to go from hot to cool that quickly.

But even though you may not be a homophobe, and you may be reasonable, you were taking a negative view on someone else’s sexuality. If you really don’t think so then what was the debate? And what you may think is nice may not be seen as nice by someone else. Could I calmly and nicely ask you if you should be allowed to have children? Such questions are bound to get personal, and to get a passionate response.